MTG cards for characters

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: MTG cards for characters

Postby pedromvilar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 am

Ezra wrote:"Exploit a comparative advantage" is kind of a black move.

Yeah, true, but "exploit a comparative advantage" is a template characteristic. If there was a card representing the template as a whole instead of each individual one of them then it'd definitely be Blue-Black. It's each individual that I think is a bit more nuanced; from an individual card mechanic perspective, once they have a comparative advantage to exploit they'd just use it.

Like, Sparkles-as-a-card would have some mechanic that would feel very Simic, probably, biological manipulation. The others are not as obvious, I could be convinced that Wix is Blue-Black as opposed to Blue-Red, Octarine and Prop aren't exactly Azorius but it feels like they're either that or monoblue, and Glam hasn't had a chance yet to appear anywhere so I'm only guessing about their colour.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:04 am

Miles Vorkosigan is somewhat defining himself as feudal in opposition to the rest of the Nexus, and I think that gives him a much stronger personal attachment to the Barrayaran concept of The Way Things Are than other Mileses who are somewhere where feudal systems are unremarkable.

And some things that are Black: lack of squeamishness, ambition, capitalism, death (use of, cause of, subverting of), disease, selfishness.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Kappa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:10 am

I also kind of want to hear the analysis of purple characters' colour distributions in more depth, because I admit I don't have a deep understanding of the MTG colour wheel.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:43 pm

I know the MtG philosophical color pie really damn well. I wouldn't be surprised if I was in the top hundred in the world, and I'd be surprised if I wasn't in the top thousand.

Short descriptions of the colors:

White: order, peace, stability, niceness, community, civilization, healing, law, morality. Secondarily, an aesthetic connection to light and religion. The chief keeper of the color pie is on record as saying that real living human, in aggregate, are significantly more white than any other color; this is where it gets its connection with being the Good Guys.
Blue: knowledge, nurture (as opposed to nature), unlimited potential, structure, control, trickery, illusion, artifice. Its aesthetic includes air, water, and technology.
Black: lack of squeamishness, ambition, capitalism, death (use of, cause of, subverting of), selfishness, amorality, results-based thinking. Disease and corruption are just aesthetic connections, and death is also aesthetic to some extent, but death is mostly a really useful tool that everyone else just goes 'ick' at so philosophical comfort with using death is also a black thing.
Red: emotions, passion, freedom, creativity, recklessness, immediacy, self-definingness (Hi Jellybean), change. Aesthetically, fire, lightning, stone, anger.
Green: nature, growth, instinct, status quo, community, fate, strength, survival of the fittest, life, tradition, acceptance of your world as it is. Aesthetically, trees, beasts, destruction of unnatural things. Transhumanism comes in many flavors, most of them blue, but above all it hates green.
Last edited by PlainDealingVillain on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby pedromvilar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:48 pm

PlainDealingVillain wrote:Blue: knowledge, nurture (as opposed to nature), unlimited potential, structure, control, trickery, illusion, artifice. Its aesthetic includes air, water, and technology.
Black: lack of squeamishness, ambition, capitalism, death (use of, cause of, subverting of), selfishness, amorality. Disease and corruption are just aesthetic connections, and death is also aesthetic to some extent, but death is mostly a really useful tool that everyone else just goes 'ick' at so philosophical comfort with using death is also a black thing.

Lack of squeamishness is an easy thing to happen for Saddes but not necessarily a part of the template. Ambition is, disliking death and disease a lot is, capitalism isn't, selfishness isn't. Conversely, all Saddes are really really Blue.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby rockeye_stonetoe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:53 pm

Gren is red/green and doesn't like blue or black. Steel is white/black(ish) and disapproves of green, but of a juxtaposition but there it is. Nick is blue/red and doesn't like white much.
rockeye_stonetoe

Pronouns: He

Postby DeAnno » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Adelaide 2UU
Vampire Witch [3/3]
When Adelaide blocks or is blocked by a creature, she may gain all of that creature's activated abilities and lose any activated abilities previously granted by this ability. Any activated abilities gained in this way have mana in their costs changed from [B], [R], [W], or [G] to [U].
DeAnno

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Marri » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:00 pm

HmmmMMMmmmMMMMmm. I don't think I have a great sense for these but I gave it a shot: Emma, Jenny and Phil are all White. Alli is Red, Jess is Red/Black. Erica is 10000% Black. Scott and Tamara are Green, Vivian is Blue. And I don't know MTG mechanics nearly well enough to attempt to make them actual cards xD
Marri

Postby Moriwen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:08 pm

The color descriptions are very helpful.

Sapphire's definitely Black (although she'd like to point out that she objects to being associated with a color other than blue). Silver is an easy Blue, and Steel's White, although he's offended at being described as "nice."

Faith is innately Red, though her powers are definitely Blue, so I don't know how that balances out.

Jean is very, very Blue.

I don't know MTG mechanics, though I'm tempted to make them cards in something I know better. Munchkin, maybe.
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby AndaisQ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:03 pm

Ari is Green/Red/More Fucking Green, and definitely has trample. Sally is Blue, when she isn't too busy being Grey and a construct. Zanna is Red/Black; Leo is Black due to metacausality (as is his mother) but under a thin coat of paint is 100% blue. Harry is White/Red. Belinda is Blue/Black, as is Tessa.

Anya, for no apparent fucking reason, has declared herself Red and refuses to hear any arguments to the contrary. It's easiest not to argue with her when she gets like this.
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime