MTG cards for characters

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: MTG cards for characters

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:03 am

pedromvilar wrote:I'm feeling like there's a way to create a Mint enchantment where you pay life to get Wishcoin counters and then remove Wishcoin counters to have various effects...

Jokers have masochism: which gives extra wishcoin counters?

Template MTG colors (basically the easiest thing to do methinks)

Bells: Blue (maybe white)
Lexis: White and Green
Charlies: White
Renee: Blue or maybe Green
Sophs: White

Matildas: Blue with a extra helping of Blue
Miles: Blue and Red
Jokers: Green or Red?
Sherlocks: Blue
Tonies: Blue and Red
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Adelene » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 am

Hmmmm.

Lurker: White, 0/1, two 'tap to do a thing' abilities, one gives a temporary +1/+1 to another creature and the other does some kind of defensive buff to multiple allies? I dunno enough about MTG mechanics to have a good idea for it. Also something where she's a particularly good target for buffing, maybe? Like if you put a buff on her she gets a couple +1/+1 tokens or something.

Dusk: Green, 2/1, tap to generate a 1/1 animal token, and then some kind of ability that lets her defend allies - I'm vaguely inclined to give the animal tokens banding, but a) I don't know if that actually does the thing I want and b) this ability isn't even used any more according to the wiki, so I've probably just dated myself by even suggesting it. *shrug*
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby pedromvilar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:27 am

Saddes are always blue-something.

Sparkles (Twivamp) - Blue-Green
Wix (Potterverse) - Blue-Red
Octarine (Discworld) - Blue-White
Prop (Inlustrem) - Blue-White
Glam (Worm, unthreaded) - Blue-Black
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Ezra » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:39 am

DanielH wrote:The Vampirism ability? In what way is it horrifying? I haven’t played Magic in a while so have no clue how balanced it is, but it seems like it could be an interesting mechanic: it gives you an advantage, but if you use that advantage there’s a good chance it will give the same advantage to an opponent.

I'll just hide here behind my Frazzled Editor.
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby DanielH » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:29 am

Your Frazzled Editor cannot help you. That was only one line of rules text.

Does flavor text count for the four lines of text?

No. The word "text" refers to rules text only, meaning that flavor text and reminder text doesn't count.

(FAQTIWDAWCC)

As long as creatures with Diamond-Vampirism had a CMC of at least 6 (with a base of 0/1), or potentially lower if they have other drawbacks, it seems to me like it should work. There are other 5/6 creatures.

Maybe it could work better if the creatures started with 3 turning counters, instead of starting with the ability itself.
DanielH

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:02 am

Bluelantern wrote:Template MTG colors (basically the easiest thing to do methinks)

Bells: Blue (maybe white)
Lexis: White and Green
Charlies: White
Renee: Blue or maybe Green
Sophs: White

Matildas: Blue with a extra helping of Blue
Miles: Blue and Red
Jokers: Green or Red?
Sherlocks: Blue
Tonies: Blue and Red

Jokers are the Reddest Red that ever Redded. They can bleed into any other color, but they are ridiculously red.
Bells are mainly Blue with a healthy helping of Black, with some variations. (ex. Tab is much Whiter than most, Angela is almost exclusively White/Black pre-pealing)

I don't think I could possibly depict a Miles without White and Blue. I'm not sure there's a trace of Black in him, and most either have a strong Red streak or a strong Green one. (Miles Vorkosigan's feudal values bring out his Green, but Milo is much Redder.)

I also object to the characterization of any Saddes as nonBlack. If 'take over the world' is in your list of personal goals and you aren't very squeamish about how that occurs, I have a very hard time not giving you a black streak.

For the actual card designs, I am going to refrain from comment because, like most people without much game design practice, most of them make me cringe. Simplicity is a virtue, and adapting outside characters to card form rarely goes well.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby pedromvilar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:12 am

PlainDealingVillain wrote:Jokers are the Reddest Red that ever Redded. They can bleed into any other color, but they are ridiculously red.

Wouldn't Jokers' whole point be that they're pretty much any and all colours? Their daemons can't even settle.

PlainDealingVillain wrote:I also object to the characterization of any Saddes as nonBlack. If 'take over the world' is in your list of personal goals and you aren't very squeamish about how that occurs, I have a very hard time not giving you a black streak.

Well, I see your point, but it's more about their general personality, skills, and disposition? Also one of their dominating personality traits is that they have technical/magical curiosity OVER 9000 whereas the ambition part isn't necessarily as central (see: Prop), so Blue is more fundamental to their personality than Black. Also although they aren't very squeamish about how that occurs they do have a certain basic M.O. that involves exploring and then exploiting the hell out of their comparative advantages, which I think are probably best represented by those colours, although I'm a bit unsure about Wix and Octarine's characterisations - Blue-White seemed like a good good-witch pair, and Blue-Red seemed to nicely capture Wix's Jokerish-but-not-that-much trickster streak.

Although come to think of it Blue-Black has this very specific Dimir connotation of taking over discreetly that's definitely something Saddes in general would feel attracted to... hmm...
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Kappa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:18 am

I'm very interested to hear why Milo comes across as less feudal than Miles? Milo is Peak Feudal.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:20 am

Kappa wrote:I'm very interested to hear why Milo comes across as less feudal than Miles? Milo is Peak Feudal.

Maybe because Milo is fantasy feundal and Miles is realistic feundal? IDK...
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Ezra » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:14 am

pedromvilar wrote:
PlainDealingVillain wrote:I also object to the characterization of any Saddes as nonBlack. If 'take over the world' is in your list of personal goals and you aren't very squeamish about how that occurs, I have a very hard time not giving you a black streak.

Well, I see your point, but it's more about their general personality, skills, and disposition? Also one of their dominating personality traits is that they have technical/magical curiosity OVER 9000 whereas the ambition part isn't necessarily as central (see: Prop), so Blue is more fundamental to their personality than Black. Also although they aren't very squeamish about how that occurs they do have a certain basic M.O. that involves exploring and then exploiting the hell out of their comparative advantages, which I think are probably best represented by those colours, although I'm a bit unsure about Wix and Octarine's characterisations - Blue-White seemed like a good good-witch pair, and Blue-Red seemed to nicely capture Wix's Jokerish-but-not-that-much trickster streak.

"Exploit a comparative advantage" is kind of a black move.

Kappa wrote:I'm very interested to hear why Milo comes across as less feudal than Miles? Milo is Peak Feudal.

Possibly because we haven't seen as much of Milo claiming vassals?
Ezra

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime