Facecasting

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Facecasting

Postby Alicorn » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:46 pm

If you follow Effulgence, you know I use pictures of real actors for most of my characters. Face casting is also useful for art - whether I'm drawing it or commissioning a book cover. Do you know just the face for a character? Tell me so here. For Effulgence characters in particular I'm also interested in alt-race and/or alt-sex facecasting - if you find icons of someone who looks like an Asian version of Chelsea or a female version of Nathan or whatever I want to hear all about it!

I have some facecasts for non-Effulgence characters, mostly Elcenians. You can ask me about those here too.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Facecasting

Postby Tamien » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Facecasting characters was something I was unfamiliar with before Effulgence, and it's been interesting to have faces supplied for characters that I'd already imagined an appearance for. Nathan, for example, I'd imagined looking a lot more like Mark Sheppard in that sort of leprechaun-ish way he looks. He's much more attractive as Vampire Cary Elwes. Janine I had pictured as a small Asian girl, and I keep being startled to see her portrayed as blonde. Addy I had imagined looking decidedly darker than her facecast, so that keeps weirding me out, too. On the other hand, I was totally delighted to see Don Glover facecast as Zeus. I guess this is what people who see movies based on books they've read go through all the time!

Anyway, if you want facecasting suggestions, it might be helpful to have a centralized reference somewhere for which characters have already been facecasted and who they are portrayed by. Does such a reference exist? (It would also be helpful to people like me who are terrible at recognizing actors but keep getting distracted by wondering who that actor in the portrait is.)
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:39 pm

I don't have a central repository. For Effulgence characters, any green-moiety character who isn't a Kristen Stewart Bell has their played-by listed in their account profile; but that doesn't cover Elcenia characters I've facecast or anybody who doesn't have their own account yet. A central repository is a good idea and I shall put it on my to-do list.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Anya

Postby Kappa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm tempted, but not sold. And there aren't so many femJokers running around that I'm in danger of running out of icons for them, especially since one of the untapped femJoker facecasts is Rosario Dawson, of whom there are a shit fucking ton of icons out there ready for me to use. XD I'll keep her in mind, though, just in case!

And in general, I will always appreciate Joker facecasting notions! Jokers are my one template for whom there are virtually no restrictions on possible facecasts as long as they get the personality right; the one hard and fast rule is "if white dude, then Heath Ledger", and I seriously considered breaking that one when I learned of the existence of Ville Valo. Under any other circumstances, though, the sky's the limit and the only criterion they have to fulfill is 'look Jokery'. And I frequently run out of icons of all my masculine-Joker facecasts - you may have noticed that many pealed Jokers played by Heath Ledger don't even have journals; I am also being tragically forced to ration my limited icon supplies of Luke Broadlick and Elliot Knight, both of whom make utterly fantastic Jokers - so I can always use more of those. :D
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Anya » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Ooo. I found a nifty set of Sophia Bush icons!

Enjoy: http://beticons.insanejournal.com/109995.html#cutid1

Elliot Knight is my favourite everything. I use him for an Aladdin character I have. :)
Anya

Postby Kappa » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:08 am

Elliot Knight was my favourite Joker PB until I discovered Luke Broadlick. Now I have two favourite Joker PBs and a crush on Luke Broadlick. XD Tell me more about your Aladdin character!

Ooh, Sophia Bush! I will note those down in my absurdly vast collection of Sophia Bush icons.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Anya » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:18 am

http://asylums.insanejournal.com/petite_icons/9922.html

This kid reminded me of baby!Kerron.

Aladdin was originally from a Once Upon a Time RP, his name is Lee and he's... very fun to play.
Anya

Postby DeAnno » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:56 am

I don't know actors and actresses very well and find myself often wondering who many of those people actually are. It definitely adds something good to the reading experience though, especially in the super dialog heavy nature of the medium (maybe it's better I don't know who they are so I don't have misconceptions I entangle with the characters? Unclear.)
DeAnno

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Shoal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:24 am

DeAnno wrote:I don't know actors and actresses very well and find myself often wondering who many of those people actually are. It definitely adds something good to the reading experience though, especially in the super dialog heavy nature of the medium (maybe it's better I don't know who they are so I don't have misconceptions I entangle with the characters? Unclear.)

are you me? :D

I have the same problem. I can't recognise any actors or actresses by their faces, not even the most famous ones. But I can recognise faces well enough to know that "this person is Bella that person is the joker" for the duration of a story -- it's just if i see them out of context i will have no idea who they are. I also like the icons that the characters have, even though my brain isn't willing to allocate memory for keeping track of what famous people look like, even if I would want it to.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Next

Return to Storytime