Short Story: "Lilac"

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Short Story: "Lilac"

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:41 pm

Lilac. Science fiction, sequel to Threshold. < 2,600 words.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Short Story: "Lilac"

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 pm

I cant see the link?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:53 pm

My bad, added.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby anthusiasm » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:03 pm

This was great. Lyle and Mercy are characters I really enjoy spending time with.
anthusiasm

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Ph, nice way to twist the knife
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby DanielH » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:30 pm

I hope you write further sequels to this story.

Is there a chance that Lyle/Mercy will turn up as a glowfic template?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Lambda » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:35 pm

I considered looking up a list of flowers, but I decided Lyle didn't want me to.

edit: I'm an idiot.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:38 pm

I could write Lyle and/or Mercy in a glowfic if there were something someone wanted to glowfic with me that involved them, like the time I did one with Harriet. They don't seem to me to fit Effulgence, though.

Lyle doesn't mind, lambda. (I wasn't sure that it was a good idea to title the story that anyway, but I didn't have a better idea and three entire trans people okayed it before I hit publish, so.)
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby cbhacking » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:21 pm

I like this story! (Huh. I seem to say that about all Alicorn stories...) It feels much more about the characters (as opposed to being about the world) than Threshold, and (as Bluelantern said) it's got some good knife-twisting in it. I found myself really empathizing with the characters, even though I've never been through any of the experiences they go through. It was actually hard to read some parts, the depiction of their anguish felt so real. Powerful stuff!

I really like the Threshold setting (both characters and world) a lot - as you might expect, since I was the one who requested this setting - and I also definitely hope to see more of all aspects it! I want to see more of Lyle and Mercy's relationship, and Mercy's meeting with her father, and.. ahem. Sorry, I get greedy. It would also be cool to learn more about the history of the world, and to follow its progression forward. The impression I get is that, while uploading and such have matured pretty well, the technology as a whole is still rapidly developing. Society is certainly still adapting to it, and they way that's depicted (from what we've seen so far) is very believable.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Yadal » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:12 pm

It's too bad I'm too bad a writer to do either of these two justice or I'd be curious to Glowfic them. Definitely would be interested in Sequels to this.

I should note that if I lived in this world I would be very afraid of somebody simming me, to the point where I'd try to stop it alltogether. Firstly I risk manipulative simming (people with lots of resources or who can do it as a side effect of some other project simming me in order to figure out how to better manipulate me), and secondly because I risk the loss of both assets and relationships to a Thresholded version.

With the second one in particular, assuming I had nothing to do with the creation of the sim in the first place then why on earth is hostility even a possibility? It's clearly not my fault, damn it!

Minor Note- An arguably very creepy thing is that people could easily use this to create simulated girlfriends for themselves designed to fit their tastes. Not slaves (as that would almost certainly be outlawed), but people outright designed to be attracted to their looks and traits.
Changed my mind on trying to fit in. Apparently I give an inch and you people try to take a mile.
Yadal

Pronouns: he/him/his

Next

Return to Storytime