There should be an Effulgence thread

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: There should be an Effulgence thread

Postby Shoal » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:00 pm

I don't know why, but Miles feels a lot like Adarin to me and Ivan a lot like Adarin's sister. I keep forgetting that neither are written by Aestrix
Last edited by Shoal on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Bluelantern » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Shoal wrote:I don't know why, but Miles feels a lot like Adarin to me and Ivan a lot like Adarin's sister. I keep forgetting that neither are written by Asterix

I see what you mean, but they arent as polar extremes as the twins, so it is easy to notice to me

What are Miles circunstances?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Kappa » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Miles grows up in a particular culture with particular parents and particular friends and particular disabilities, and has the particular series of experiences described in canon. He has more of a trajectory, and one more closely informed by the actual events of his life, than most of my other templates. If I put him on some other planet in some other universe, and had different things happen to him, he would still be Miles but it would be harder for me to figure out exactly in what way he would be Miles.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Aestrix » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:41 pm

I do indeed have nothing to do with Miles, nor Ivan - I can kind of see the resemblence? They have a similar dynamic, of 'Smart person wants to change the world, accompanied by person that does not but helps anyway.'

However, I do think that underneath the surface they run completely differently. For example: (spoilers for Marilan Embassy:) Adarins do not like political marriages, even when it makes perfect sense, and would never, ever react to any person that they barely know hinting that they should get married for political reasons with excitement or support. Even a super-gorgeous haut, even a super-gorgeous haut that they're working with and like on a basic personal level. Miles also is a bit more mobile than an Adarin would be - Adarins tend to find a place that needs fixing, and then they grit their teeth and they sit on it for ages working on it until it's fixed. They value fixed and well running systems more than Miles does. Not to mention, Miles is better at reading people, and better at subterfuge, too.

Personally I think a Zev's even more obviously different from Ivan than Adarin is from Miles, but that probably is because I know what Zevs get up to when they are not next to their morality-pet twin. Because Adarins are their twin's morality pet, Zevs have no issues with lying, murder, and torture when left to their own devices. Ivan has issues with doing all of those things.

(Also, Shoal, you keep misspelling my name, it's kind of funny, but I feel like I should correct you. I'm Aestrix, Asterix is a comic that I haven't read but am aware of due to the name similarity. Aestrix is a bastardization of Latin words: aestus for heat/passion/tides, aestas for summer, combined with a common Latin feminine ending that purposely confuses which one it is, that being -trix. I was looking for a more uncommon screenname so I don't have to ever add numbers to it, and thought it sounded interesting. Also vaguely ironic, because I tend to be described as a very dispassionate person in general by my friends and rarely go outside during summer. No one gets it but me, but I like it anyway.)
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Urgh, acidental log off ate my post :(

Well only important bit:

Does anyone else is vaguely shipping Miles/Ivan?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Anya » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:14 pm

I was gonna protest with "theyre cousins!" but then I loled for obvious reasons.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:35 pm

Thank you for correcting me, Aestrix. When I was typing it out I was trying to remember which way it was but I couldn't remember. Hopefully now it'll stick better! I think I had it stuck in my head like aster meaning star which I always want to add an e to for aester but then I remember that in latin it didn't have one and neither in greek and so I was usually typing the e and then deleting it. I will try pronouncing it differently in my head.

I think I started seeing the resemblance before that thing happened and because I was already seeing it, that event wasn't enough to shake the resemblance because I was already seeing it. but Adarin really does dislike that thing.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Aestrix » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:53 pm

It's quite all right, I'm actually fine if you call me the Easter Bunny, I just figured you'd want to know if you're spelling things certain ways on purpose or by accident <3

Adarins really, really dislike that thing. I can get into the psychology of why, but that would be best served in another thread, I think <3
Aestrix

Postby Alicorn » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:02 pm

Ivan and Miles are technically only second cousins, but they were basically raised together and Miles refers to Ivan's mom as "Aunt Alys" and basically that is in no way how they work, so the ship squicks me anyhow.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby cbhacking » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:08 am

Yeah, even if you don't carry through the later-term events of Miles' life, it would be difficult to come up with another setting that fits Miles but isn't "New Barrayar". On the other hand, Miles gets up to all sorts of interesting events thoughout his life - there's literally an entire series of books about them! - and that means plenty of opportunities for do further Effulgencing with the canon background at other places in the timeline, if desired (though the point at which the other purple character appears could get awkward).

It amuses me a good bit that Effulgence #64 *HAS* a Bell, but she's not (as of several hundred posts in) the central figure of the story. We haven't seen anything from her POV yet, we don't know what she knows or how she's thinking except for what she's said thus far, she is only on screen for relatively brief periods of time, we know practically nothing about her background (specifically, I mean, though we don't know *that* much about the general background of Haut ladies either), and it was well into the story before she even appeared and started interacting with the purple characters. I kind of like it, in that it allows a different sort of complex plot setup than we usually see in Effulgence and also makes her more mysterious, but it feels strange nonetheless!
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime