Short Story: "Sendaway"

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Short Story: "Sendaway"

Postby Alicorn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Charlie fits Deathsbaning all right, but I think I'd actually make it Renée, because Charlie's the kind of person who would marry a Deathsbane. (A Renée might want to join them of her own volition but that isn't how they work.) Character attractors don't apply nearly as firmly when there's a magic sword.

I'll fix the tag. It was a copy-paste error.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:57 pm

Alicorn wrote:Charlie fits Deathsbaning all right, but I think I'd actually make it Renée, because Charlie's the kind of person who would marry a Deathsbane. (A Renée might want to join them of her own volition but that isn't how they work.) Character attractors don't apply nearly as firmly when there's a magic sword.

I'll fix the tag. It was a copy-paste error.

Oh, I was thinking more in terms of "being turned into a Deathsbane sounds like something that can happen to Charlie".

Somehow, I don't know if Charlie would have the... independence to actual steal the baby Bell unless it was a situation similar to the short-storie, and to me Charlie would still stop and demand answers.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:02 pm

I mean, for plot reasons I might make Charlie the Deathsbane parent just so I could make Renée the wizard. Charlies are not typically wizards, Renées would take to it better.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Alicorn wrote:I mean, for plot reasons I might make Charlie the Deathsbane parent just so I could make Renée the wizard. Charlies are not typically wizards, Renées would take to it better.

yes, I know, in theory, a Charlie could know a wizard that could solve the problem for them, but they don't seem the type that would manage to steal away a child from the Deathsbane...? Like, he could stop the ritual/process but not run away before the Deathsbane simply neutralized him and go to the process. Renées don't sound much better on the competence department but I see them running away and not stopping until the child is safe.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Tamien » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:24 pm

I was assuming that instead of running away, the non-Deathsbane parent would have granted the Bell opacity just in time before the knighting, and then *stayed*, rather than attempting the kidnapping, and then no one noticed that the Bell was not a Deathsbane until the Bell grew up and like, was conspicuously Bellish instead of Deathsbaney. So I am curious what course of action would actually happen!
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Tamien wrote:I was assuming that instead of running away, the non-Deathsbane parent would have granted the Bell opacity just in time before the knighting, and then *stayed*, rather than attempting the kidnapping, and then no one noticed that the Bell was not a Deathsbane until the Bell grew up and like, was conspicuously Bellish instead of Deathsbaney. So I am curious what course of action would actually happen!

I can't see either Charlie or Renée thinking of that plan, maaaaybe they would try going with it, but it still sounds unlikely they would manage it???
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Tamien » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:41 pm

I think it's more Charlie of a plan, I think. I'm not sure how well he would actually *manage* it. I think probably Renee would just kidnap and run if she could. She's less rooted down.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:45 pm

Tamien wrote:I think it's more Charlie of a plan, I think. I'm not sure how well he would actually *manage* it. I think probably Renee would just kidnap and run if she could. She's less rooted down.

Charlie comes off as capable of acting and keep acting stoic, but he wouldn't be that fond of deception.

I really think this all gets way better if there is another person involved that would help the Bell parent.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Previous

Return to Storytime