Short Story: "Explorers"

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Short Story: "Explorers"

Postby Alicorn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:43 am

There is no direct danger to the original Nuan - an unmodified Nuan will keep running - but her subjective experience will split, and the Mei half has uninformedly-made cognitive alterations, so Nuan needs to expect to experience that in addition to and separately from normal-Nuan experience.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Short Story: "Explorers"

Postby cbhacking » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:46 pm

... right. Wow, I'm not sure how I missed that aspect. I was thinking of it from a looking-back perspective - once the fork has occurred, Nuan will come to no direct harm no matter what happens to Mei or how awful the experience of being Mei is... but the decision was made by Nuan-before-the-fork, which is *exactly* the same as saying the decision was made by Mei-before-the-alteration. I guess I was thinking of Mei as a separate entity that didn't exist until the fork (even though she would have access to Nuan's memories up to that point), but in reality Mei has just as much continuity as Nuan, aside from the alteration.

If Mei wakes up in torment, she won't think "why did *she* do that?"... she'll think "why did *I* do that?"

I blame this brainfail on the severe case of 2AM when I wrote that.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Previous

Return to Storytime