Short Story: "Explorers"

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Short Story: "Explorers"

Postby Alicorn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:21 pm

Here it is. Sci fi, <1,300 words.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Short Story: "Explorers"

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Neat! Reminds me of Diaspora by Greg Egan (especially the first chapter, Orphanogenesis).

(Also, I think you meant to link to the formatted version of the story, right?)
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Alicorn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:47 pm

I don't think I've read the Egan story. Fixed the link, thanks!
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:49 pm

I don't think I've read the Egan story.

I really enjoyed it--definitely one of my top 5 favorite works of sci-fi, and possibly my favorite, depending on my mood. I should warn you that his brand of sci-fi is extremely hard. I happen to like that, but many people don't. The chapter linked above gives a good idea of the writing style of the rest of the book.
jalapeno_dude

Postby Alicorn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Wow, if I had read this first I would be so guilty of plagiarism. Even the word "explorer".
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Heh. I hadn't read it that recently, so didn't catch the coincidence, but it's amusing now that you mention it. :) Of course, Egan would disagree with Nuan's point of view about "nowhere else to go" given virtuality--a big theme of Diaspora is that you can't run out of interesting new stuff to do in any finite time (even when confining yourself just to pure math, say, let alone taking other people into account).
jalapeno_dude

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 pm

I sort of don't feel like reading the Diaspora link, can someone give me a summary?

also: interesting short
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby DanielH » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:23 pm

In a (part of) digital world, people are made with a psycholical equivalent of DNA, the physical kind having been discarded ages ago as no longer necessary since uploading. All human minds are similar, so what all the instructions do is unknown, and the only way to find out is usually experimentation. Occasionally—about every 30 years—a brand new psyche is made, not at the request of parents but for the purpose of experimenting with unknown instructions. The chapter shows one of these orphans’ development from mind-seed (the instructions) to a self-aware person. Presumably the rest of the book covers the first parts of this person’s life.

EDIT: I was originally off by a factor of a thousand in the orphan frequency. I said it was tens or hundreds of thousands of years, not about 30 years. I got confused because it happens about every teratau, and the obly conversion was on the order of thousands of teratau. (One tau ≈ one millisecond)
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby cbhacking » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:28 am

I like this story! I found the concept very intriguing, and the transition to first person from what *appears* to be a story told in the third person was wonderful. I'd love to know what kinds of experimentation they were doing - that is, what changes they were making, either intentionally or through ignorance or accident - but I suppose that would be an entire story in its own right.

I'll admit I'm not quite sure on all the references to dangers. Is that supposed to be in the sense that "the fork is still you, so if we need to terminate the fork we will be terminating you (after a fashion)"? Or is there some direct danger to Nuan that isn't obvious? Obviously the original doesn't just *stop* when the fork runs, or Nuan couldn't ask for a chance to meet Mei once she starts.

Oh, and speaking of stories in their own right, thanks for the link jalapeno_dude!
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby DanielH » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 am

It seems they have had unmodified forks for a while and realize that the fork is still you. I'd guess the danger is fork termination, fork mental instability, etc.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Next

Return to Storytime