Squee!

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Squee!

Postby DanielH » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:52 pm

And if you click on the first part you see “Nelyafinwë Maitimo (Circle) (Maedhros)”, which includes the relevant True Identity tag.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:06 pm

"The fact a lot of strange things have happened doesn't mean we should put particular weight on lots of equally strange things happening, I don't think." Shrug. "Maybe someone'll walk through the door with an explanation."

Hey Glass, that's your cue!
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby jalapeno_dude » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Nemo wrote:The plural form of the Sindarin "orch" (anglicized as "orc") is "yrch." This is not a coincidence because nothing is ever a coincidence.

So I finally got around to looking this up, and Wikipedia says this was intentional:
One of the author's favorite books, The Lord of the Rings, lent several words and images to Animorphs: the elvish word for Orc, "yrch", became Yeerk; the flaming red Eye of Sauron inspired the Crayak, and Ax's middle name, "Esgarrouth", is based on a town in the books called Esgaroth. The human name of Ax's brother, Elfangor, is Alan Fangor and his last name is in reference to the Fangor region or Fangorn Forest. Also there was a minor reference to Gondor, in the form of a fictional company named "Gondor Industries" in the 14th book. (It may also be significant that Visser Three's host is named Alloran, a rough homonym of Gandalf's Valinorean name "Olórin", and that one of the minor alien races is called "the Five", which is also a term used in The Lord of the Rings for the Istari.)
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Kappa » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:39 pm

that's adorable
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby DanielH » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Many of those are things that happened after the First Age, so most of the worlds wouldn't notice the similarities.
DanielH

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Except that the worlds are in contact, so if someone from third-age Arda points a finger and goes WTF they can explain it to the others
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Nemo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:50 pm

Wow. I was so sure that was a coincidence.
Nemo

Postby Unbitwise » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:06 am

ALL HAIL IMPERATRIX BELLA AND HER HORS D’OEUVRES!
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:19 am

It would be interesting if Silmaril could make Alloran as an alt of Olórin work out. Saruman/Curumo would work better, honestly (subverted by the enemy, etc.), but then you don't get the names thing...
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Kappa » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:28 am

I feel like Alloran and Olorin are too dissimilar personality-wise, but I guess it could be made to work...
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime