Squee!

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Squee!

Postby Tamien » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:27 pm

I have made this thread to be a repository of squee. If something in an Alicorn Fic makes you squee, you can share your squee here! For example, I was full of squee when I first ran into the Enchanted Forest Chronicles world in Effulgence, and now I am full of squee again to see the Circle of Magic world! I have squeed over particular lines or events in the past too but they are harder to remember. Now with a place to write them, they will hopefully be easier to remember!

Eeeeeeeee a Bell is an ambient mage and she's going to be at Winding Circle eeeeeeeeeeeee :D :D
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Squee!

Postby MartinB » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:18 pm

I havent read Effulgence yet. (I usually have a hard time getting into stories). But the whole setting of Goldmage is just horrible. Its more frightening to me then MLP/Friendship is optimal (Save for one scene in the Fanfanfiction heaven is terrifying.) TVTropes calls it CrapSackworld. Everything about the world is bad, terrible, horrible or worse. But the people themself are somewhat decent. I'm really curious where it will lead to.

Edit/add: The cutting of the nice couple in /red/. I don't mind whatever people do do each other in consent, but reading about it is iffy for me.

Martin
MartinB

Pronouns: he

Postby DeAnno » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm

I love Addy and think she is awesome. Sure she is not so popular with the Bellish crowd, but she does sort of have a point that a moment of horrible torture from Jane may well be worth a slight increase in magical power over a theoretically infinite amount of future time! I was quite sad for her when she was banned from Bellparties, and sad for myself as well because she always has interesting things to say. I mean surely at some point the collective mass of Bells will be magical enough that they aren't potentially terrified of Addy trying to become a weakly goddesslike singularity right? Right?

It should be noted that I read Luminosity without reading the source material, so I originally thought Addy was canon and consistently overestimate the strength of the Volturi as an organization when they come up in other places for this reason ("But you are forgetting Addy she will just... wait..." *cry*)
DeAnno

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:58 pm

I have tremendous fun with Addy. She's awful, but in such a fun way! I am glad you like her too. She is one of my most frequently mistaken-for-canon characters.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DeAnno » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 am

She really is only awful compared to the really extremely nice ruling administration of Aurum. Compared to powerful people in some more nasty places she is actually a paragon of restraint and goodwill to sentient life (Sunshine, Materia, *Wormverse* I am looking at you.)

Though Addy will always be my favorite I also really like that Jane has been included in Effulgence. She was something I liked a lot in the Ender's Game universe as a kid, and when the story trilogy thing was over it was her as a character I was most disappointed to let go of. I've never really seen any fanfic besides Effulgence that Jane plays a significant role in (though I have not looked extensively; perhaps I should remedy this), so it's really cool that she has a home here and is doing all sorts of stuff from a central position of doing things-ness, and also that she has a mom because canon Jane could really have used one.

EDIT: I have thought of another character to squee over in Effulgence: Soph! Soph is awesome in the sort of goofy way that I feel like Dawn Summers might have been more if she had not been absolutely covered with violence and angst and death and angsty violence. If Addy is the character that should have existed, and Jane is the character that did exist but not for long enough, then Soph is the character that sort of would have existed if not for a lot of really sad things. It's possible I'm just projecting Dawnyness onto Soph because she is in her spot, and if I am, I'm not sure what I think about that. Also Soph seems like a not particularly likely abbreviation and she may have fallen into that for reasons of the Key gravitating to having four letters in her name.
DeAnno

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Shoal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 am

I think if Addy had gotten Elspeth's informed consent to be tortured by Jane for a moment, it wouldn't have been a bad thing to do. As it was, though, it was not her position to make that choice.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Alicorn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 am

Addy is awful-inside-of-her-head. She's smart and has long-term ambitions that involve people not killing her or refusing to interact with her; that's the only source of her restraint. She's quite amoral.

I'm glad you like Jane! I like Jane too. (In canon the bugger queen is her mom, which is just kind of weird and does not serve any of Jane's emotional needs, alas.)

I love Soph too! I had to make her have a personality very suddenly - no canon to draw on (she is not intended to be "a Dawn"), no previous instantiations of the template for practice - and I was very pleased with how she turned out in spite of that challenge. I think "Soph" is a relatively common abbreviation of "Sophia"; I didn't pick it for Dawn-related reasons.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:16 am

Soph is excellent. :D
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Tamien » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I am here to deposit squee about the Animorphs section of Effulgence! I just finished "the Hospital" and basically squeeed through the entire thing. I think Trouble is my favorite Joker. I can't wait to see Bella freak out about Yeerks. Ethan and Robin and Andi are all adorable and I can't wait to see everyone do Animorph Things. I am really crossing my fingers that Trouble is the Tobias replacement. I was only ever kindof into Animorphs (I had some friends in little school who were really really into it, way more than me) so I wasn't really expecting to enjoy this segment so much but I'm really enjoying it!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Trouble eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *bounces*
Tamien

Postby Anya » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Animorphs arc is my favourite!
Anya

Next

Return to Storytime