Ultraviolet Vision

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Ultraviolet Vision

Postby Tamien » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:55 pm

This video is an ad trying to convince people to wear sunscreen. However, I found it interesting to see how people look to UV light vs visible light. While watching it, I realized that since twivamps can see UV, that would mean they could see all the invisible freckles the video shows people having, and that glass would be harder to see through, and that people wearing sunscreen would look like they were wearing weird face paint to them. I hadn't really considered what sort of invisible patterns would be revealed by being able to see in UV (aside from some vague thoughts about flowers, because bees). Now I'm wondering what other nonobvious differences there are between vampire vision and human vision. What can vampires perceive that humans can't? What are the drawbacks to having UV vision? What common substances are UV emissive/transmissive/reflective/absorptive? Anyone know any neat factoids about stuff that vampires would be able to see that we can't, or would have a harder time seeing than we do?
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Ultraviolet Vision

Postby Adelene » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:26 am

Some birds have UV patterns - apparently a lot of the indistinguishable little brown ones have sexual dimorphism that way, and probably species dimorphism too though that's more a guess on my part.

In fact, you might be able to find documentaries on bird vision that cover this - they can see UV, too.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Bluelantern » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:35 am

Speaking of birds. I think some hunt down by seeing UV and Infrared light reflected in stuff like urine. I am going to guess that vampires can pick up all kinds of invisible dirt that humans have no idea (and possible not care because vampires cant get sick).

I am now wondering, could vampire skin appear to have a range of colors more diverse in UV?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Tamien » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:58 am

I'm actually really curious what vampire skin looks like to vampires! To humans it's kindof sparkly and diamondy but maybe vampire skin looks like that because of some interaction with UV light that is informative to vampires
Tamien

Postby Shoal » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKedY2D84yc this is a short video in english with english subtitles about how arctic reindeer see. they see deep into the ultraviolet and that helps them see stuff like urine of other animals that they can smell and learn about and lichens that they like to eat.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Tamien » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Man, reindeer look creepy in UV. It was neat to see how things like urine and lichen made such a distinct contrast in UV light that's not at all visible to human eyes, though.
Tamien

Return to Storytime