Elcenia discussion

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Elcenia discussion

Postby Marri » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:05 pm

I would probably sleep some. But karaoke is also pretty likely :D
Marri

Postby DanielH » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Yes, if I time-dilated myself it would go the other way, and then I'd get even less of the new outside material I'm addicted to (even with more time for catching up on old stuff). If I could experience more time per sidereal year than the general population, and Alicorn et al. could experience more time than me, that would be perfect for me. Alicorn might eventually run low on readers' tears, though, if it ended up with her writing faster than people could read.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby MartinB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:24 am

Did you ever try the polyphasic sleep schedule?

Martin
MartinB

Pronouns: he

Postby DanielH » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:38 am

I don't know who that's addressed to, so I'll assume it's a general question. I have not, for two reasons: first, I have too many outside dependencies on my schedule (today, for example, I'm busy from 7:30 to at least 5:00); second, it seems that all the studies say that sleeping at multiple points in the day doesn't actually reduce the total need for sleep.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:24 am

Some people get a lot of mileage out of polyphasic sleep, but not most of them, and the adjustment is hell whether you'll get any time out of it or not. I suspect it wouldn't work for me because I take a long time to fall asleep.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Marri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:09 pm

I recall vaguely that a study was done proving that if you disrupt your circadian rhythm enough all sorts of Bad Health Effects ensue. But I cannot find the link and I'm pretty sure the test was on mice, not humans, so, grain of salt. Grains of salt. Possibly an entire shaker of salt.
Marri

Postby MartinB » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Alicorn wrote: I take a long time to fall asleep.

A few friends report falling asleep much faster after a failed adaption attempt. I didnt make it so far, will try at a later time.

Martin
MartinB

Pronouns: he

Postby DanielH » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm not sure how much of this will be considered spoilery, but: shrens are safe in that they don't succumb to the dragon infant mortality issue. If a dragon infant starts coughing, would a natural-form shren nearby stop the process at the expense of a shitty toddlerhood and lifelong stigma? If not, would that work before the coughing starts? Either way, would the baby end up like the one who was saved by lifelink (for that matter, what is the progression of that condition)?
DanielH

Postby Adelene » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:53 pm

shrenning doomed dragon babies chatlog
(7:11:12 PM) Adelene: Has it been established what happens if you shren a baby dragon that can't dragon well enough to survive?
(7:11:20 PM) Alicorn: Nope.
(7:11:38 PM) Alicorn: But the answer is it stops being able to fly and then dies on schedule or a few days later.
(7:11:46 PM) Adelene: *nod*
(7:12:08 PM) Adelene: That's about what I expected. Kinda surprised that Mial didn't try it, though.
(7:12:19 PM) Adelene: Only kinda, but, kinda.
(7:12:24 PM) Alicorn: oh wow XD
(7:13:51 PM) Adelene: (Actually it might make some amount of sense for shrenning a coughing baby can't-dragon to extend said dragonish's life by a couple days, if you wanted to throw them a bone cluewise.)
(7:14:14 PM) Alicorn: Pyth (Kappabeta)
It actually did occur to me! And then I was like, "but there is another baby in the house who might be perfectly fine", and then Mial was too sad to do any things when the second one went. So if he had the thought at all it was a vague thought that he was scared to even actually think about trying and then became too sad to recapture. XD
5:14
Alicorn
*nod*
(7:14:29 PM) Adelene: Ah.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby DanielH » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:55 am

Near the beginning of this thread (and elsewhere) it's mentioned that most hearers actually do go crazy and Leekath is the exception. I have two questions about that.

First, are there any cases of vampire hearers (consciously or unconsciously) just ignoring all audio sensory data, learning sign language, and proceeding through life as though sane but deaf? I think that if I started getting Way Too Much Information through sound, I'd just start treating it as white noise without trying to get much if any useful data.

Second, Leekath temporarily stopped being a hearer and deliberately started again. I don't remember how she stopped, but could that technique be used deliberately for the hearers who would go crazy?
DanielH

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime