Elcenia discussion

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Elcenia discussion

Postby Alicorn » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:15 pm

A broken limb is pentagon range. (But note that it's hard for shrens to be precise about how injuries they cannot now easily pay much attention to compare to full-body generalized pain experienced centuries ago in infancy without having, at the time, baseline comparison points.)
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:45 pm

… I guess I need to reread the relevant section of Effulgence.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby MartinB » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:29 am

Will we meet Kaylos aunt sometime? And will we figure out what the empty room test is for?

I just gave Blood a re:read.

Martin
MartinB

Pronouns: he

Postby cbhacking » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:54 am

Bella broke her arm upon falling, and got nothing more than a few pentagons out of it (though she didn't try to "milk" it, IIRC). It took being hit by a car (presumably causing multiple fractures and internal injuries) to hit hexagon range, though we don't know *where* in hex she hit.

The thing DanielH mentions about the worldbuilding being both so complete and so cohesive that you can tell other stories in it *is* a wonderful thing, isn't it? I enjoyed it about Elcenia/Barashi, I have enjoyed seeing it slowly revealed in Goldmage (one thing I loved when I first read the initial six-ish Goldmage chapters is how much backstory and worldbuilding I was absorbing), and it is also something I enjoy in other fiction. The world of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, for example, has absurd amounts of worldbuilding, and while the PoV characters (of which there are more than I can keep track of in my head, by certain points in the story) get into nearly all parts of the world they don't always stay, and sometimes they only indirectly interact with some of the aspects. Nonetheless, I am able to envision (in some detail) things like what it must be like to, say, be a Tairen peasant girl suddenly learning she can channel (apologies for the world-specific gobbledygook) which is fairly impressive considering we never actually get more than a one-line description of such an event.

I'm trying to think of other such worlds, but they are really rather in short supply. Middle Earth has a ton of worldbuilding, but you don't see that much of it in the main books except what is directly relevant to the characters. It probably deserves its own thread, or possibly a fork of one of the existing-but-mostly-stalled fiction recommendation threads, but I would be very interested to learn what works other readers enjoy for this reason. Of course, Alicorn's own thoughts are also likely to be very interesting; she knows more about the subject than I'm ever likely to, and presumably has her own favorites too.

Of course, excellent worldbuilding doesn't make a story all by itself, so there are probably examples of settings with great worldbuilding and lame stories (there are parts of WoT which qualify, for that matter. Ugh, book 8). The worlds are only a part of why I love Alicorn's writing. But, I do love it...
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Alicorn » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 am

There is no planned Elcenia plot where Kaylo's aunt is essential as more than an unheard voice on the other end of a communication crystal, but if I get around to giving Kaylo his own book she might show up on screen.

I'm probably not going to have a reason to get any further into vampire religion than I already have, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

I think I'm kind of prone to worldbuilding without good plot, myself, although I'm working on this tendency over time...
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby MartinB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:24 am

I would like a Kaylo book. And also to know more about Vampire religion :)

Martin
MartinB

Pronouns: he

Postby DanielH » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:12 pm

I want more Elcenia in general. And more Goldmage, and Effulgence, and Incandescence…. Basically, I want to put Alicorn (and coauthors) in a time-dilation device so she can write a lot faster relative to my reading it.

As that’s not an option for both technological and ethical reasons, I’ll settle for re-reading two–four Elcenia books at once so that I can try to read it all in chronological order.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:06 pm

DanielH wrote:I want more Elcenia in general. And more Goldmage, and Effulgence, and Incandescence…. Basically, I want to put Alicorn (and coauthors) in a time-dilation device so she can write a lot faster relative to my reading it.

As that’s not an option for both technological and ethical reasons, I’ll settle for re-reading two–four Elcenia books at once so that I can try to read it all in chronological order.

No no no, you want to put yourself in a time-dilation device. That's at least physically possible, if not quite technological, and has many fewer ethical issues. ;)
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Aestrix » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:25 pm

I would totally consent to being put in a time-dilation device, it's actually one of the top things I would want if I had access to wishcoins. :)
Aestrix

Postby Alicorn » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:45 pm

I would also like to be time-dilated! I could sleep and catch up on reading in there.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime