Elcenia discussion

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Elcenia discussion

Postby DanielH » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:52 pm

I’m surprised that USA is less certain than scuba. I guess it isn’t as wordlike and is more cultural. Could they tell that Germany is a country?

If the conlang does have ways of generating tense but nobody has thought of applying them to a particular word, would Draconic still do those? I’m guessing it would, and that it would feel the same either way so the speaker wouldn’t realize they were technically inventing a new word. What about if the language has word transformation rules that for some reason don’t work for a word and nobody noticed yet (like if I make a conlang with the “-s” pluralization rule and the singular noun “lens” and never thought of pluralizing that noun; since this is English it doesn’t necessarily have the “-es” pluralization rule or equivalent)?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Germany is a place. Country is more specific.

If a conlang (or a natlang) has regular rules, then a dragon can apply them wherever they apply even if no one has done that before. If a conlang has ungeneralizable pluralization rules it probably isn't well defined enough to get at all.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:45 pm

Sorry to bring up time again, but I have some questions. The first set is in-universe, and the second set is not.

Adelene wrote:…Alicorn decided that "1 Elcenian day = 1 Barashin day, 2 divisions, 4 subdivisions, 62 slices" is the canonical conversion and anything that disagrees with that is incorrect; we also established that 19 Marahel of 11251 at 6-and-naught (noon) is 5 Pyrgorest of 24868 at 3-0 (4:30am-ish).…

• Noon would be closer to sixth-and-same than sixth-and-naught (more precisely, sixth-and-same, 6 ticks, 1.25 splits; if I remember correctly seasons work in such a way that this doesn’t change like it does on Earth). Do people generally not care about 6-degree (about 12 minute) differences, or is it just that “noon” is relatively imprecise anyway? Culturally, would it be weirdly specific to say that a store opened at second-and-same instead of second-and-naught? What about a store closing at 14th-and-same vs. 14th-and-15?
  • There are inconsistencies in the time chart here and here. If I were to re-generate the chart based on the official canon conversions, would you update those pages to use the new version? If so, should I set one second equal to one split or one fragment? Setting it to a fragment would make the math tidier for all Barashin–Earth conversions and even for most Elcenian–Earth conversions, so I’d recommend that. This would make an Elcenian day almost 21 hours instead of almost 22 hours.

Details: The top half of the chart, for Elcenian units, is completely consistent internally and with the above quote and has no rounding issues in any of the columns. The bottom half, for Barashin units, is not consistent in its Elcenian column; I think you had compounding rounding errors when generating it. The bottom half of the Earth column is consistent with the Barashi column but not the top half of the Earth column, except that you had a typo and said a Barashin year was 488 Earth days 1 hour instead of 488 Earth days 11 hours.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:50 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Unbitwise » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:55 pm

the tears of readers, the tears of authors
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby DanielH » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:59 pm

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize it was that bad. You still write boxen in Elcenia and need to make the kinds of decisions I ask about in the first question, at least subconsciously, so I thought that might be okay.

As for the table, I might make one for my own use or for playing around with an interesting-looking unit conversion library or something, and if I do make one I’ll post it so others can use it, but otherwise not mention it again. Or if you say you would replace the table if I made one I’ll do it.

Completely unrelated to time, some questions about mages: are they generally seen as weird or suspicious even in the non-Ryganaav parts of the world, or just in some smaller social group? Why? Also, the thing about needing to be in contact with their element is only for activated mages, right? Can lights help with element deprivation?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:12 pm

It's just the one NPC who thinks they're weird, this is not a widely held opinion. Right. No.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Storytime