Elcenia discussion

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Elcenia discussion

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:29 pm

I started reading Elcenia, and had Thoughts about it. So, here is a place to discuss Elcenia Thoughts. Anyone else reading it recently?

I find the vampires very interesting. The lifespan thing, the Intensely Secretive Vaguely Judaism (is that an intentional analog?), and the culture generally. I'm a little confused why the test in the Citadel is the first time anyone's ever proved that hearers aren't crazy, though. Did they just not trust the experiment before?

Also, the setup of identical twin human forms between the two dragon brothers early on followed by the third identical human in the shren house, was really well done, but I expected a bigger payoff somehow. Maybe that's coming later? (I've only read up to Union in Silver)

Also, the Aristanian justice system is uncomfortable in a way that makes me argue with myself over whether it should be. Which was probably the point, so.

In short: Lots of good writing that's unsettling and heartwarming by turns.
Or even shorter: It turns out Alicorn wrote this. Who knew?
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Re: Elcenia discussion

Postby Alicorn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Vampire religion is not intentionally Jewish-analogue-y. The only actually intentional borrowing that's specific like that (as opposed to "this concept floats around in my head as something that can be attached to religions; I will attach it to this one") is a feature of Aleism that I took from the Mormons and modified.

Most hearers are crazy. They aren't mistaken about hearing or believing their voices, they just can't hold up under the overload. Previous attempts at experiment have not been able to yield any good results because the subjects are not in a good position to report scientifically on their experiences. Leekath is a genius who was able to sort things out well enough to function with and make use of her hearing.

I find myself unclear on what early dragon brothers you're referring to.

A lot of the credit for the worldbuilding of Barashi should go to Julie, my original Elcenia co-author. The prose of the novels as they stand now is original to me, but she helped with the entire story and half the background and characters.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Oh, that explains things. Leekath doesn't come off that way, but that's probably due to the impossibly high standards she feels obliged to compare herself to, it makes perfect sense once you mention it.

Don't know why I thought it was brothers, I was half-remembering Narax and Kilaer (in Summons 8). And then later Rhysel meets Ilen, and there's a tense moment of recognition, and then it gets dropped... and looking up to make sure I got the name right, he's the protagonist of a later section. Well, that answers that, then.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Alicorn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Yeah, Kilaer is Narax and company's dad, not their sibling.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby anthusiasm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:36 pm

About to start reading Elcenia now! I look forward to posting a lot in this thread!
anthusiasm

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Alicorn on twitter:
Considering trying to unblock on Elcenia by bypassing spaghetti-timeline with Young Rhysel stories. Any interest?

YES YES YES
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Alicorn » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Hee <3
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Shoal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:23 pm

yes yes yes
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Bluelantern » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:19 pm

I would like to express my interest for Barashi Babies \o/ (okay, I know that is now what it will be called, but let me dream for a bit)
Last edited by Bluelantern on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby cbhacking » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:42 am

Young Rhysel (and more exploration, in general, of Barashi-before-Elcenia) sounds pretty awesome. But you know me; I'm up for anything you write (though I have discovered that you have blogged more than I've read of your blog, and I need to fix that).
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Next

Return to Storytime