Some Questions about the Luminosity-verse

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Some Questions about the Luminosity-verse

Postby Omniscient Trees » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Warning: Pretty much all of these questions are gonna be about queer^/orientation/gendery/romantic/sexual things X3
I'll be explaining a number of the terms I use which are exclusive to the queer community as I go along, since I'm hoping non-Alicorn people in the future will be able to read and benefit from this post in future too - plus, I don't know how many terms Alicorn is familiar with herself, so it can't hurt to be thorough... (I'm not trying to patronise, honest .-.).
Additionally, these questions may be numbered but that's mostly just to group similar topics together. Most of these questions will have several sub-questions. If it looks like I asked the same thing more than once, that's probably for a reason...

^ A colloquial term (A reclaimed slur, so it's still not used by many members of the community) used to describe all self-identified non-heterosexual, non-heteroromantic, transgender/trans/non-cisgender, intersex, non-allosexual, non-alloromantic or non-binary-gender persons. Synonyms in common use are LGBTQ+, MOGII and GSRM.

I was told the forum would be the best place to ask lengthy questions about things, so here I am! (I just recently finished (And SERIOUSLY enjoyed) Luminosity, Radiance & Flashes, for the information of those non-Alicorn people reading this)

Question 1:

More of an observation, really, but I noticed none of the characters in the two books are explicitly bi*/pan**/poly***sexual (Victor could count, but he still seems to consider himself gay (Plus it's not too uncommon for people to have exceptions with regards to their lack of attraction to certain genders), and I need to ask a bit more about imprinting later anyway), and out of the eight explicitly queer characters I counted, at least 3 are expressly monosexual**** (Maggie, Victor, and Li-qing - unless she's aromantic*****/asexual******, as it is never fully explained), but this is never confirmed for Gianna, Hao, Kazuo or Ermengarde's unnamed mothers in the text... I was just wondering whether this was accidental or not, to be honest, and to perhaps ask for clarification with regards to the romantic/sexual orientations of the numerous queer characters in the series (Plus characters who are queer but were never expressly so in the text, if there are any, maybe?)

* Attraction to multiple genders
** Attraction to all genders
*** Attraction to multiple, but not all genders

**** Attraction to only one gender
***** A lack of romantic attraction for persons of any gender
****** A lack of sexual attraction for persons of any gender

Question 2:

It is never explicitly stated whether or not any of the characters in the text are aromantic or asexual. Given that in Maggie and Gianna's case (Not to mention the numerous straight (Or at the very least bisexual) vampires who form mate bonds in the story) at least, we know that vampires seem to form mate bonds concordant with their self-identified sexual/romantic orientations, my assumption would be that asexual/aromantic vampires would be entirely incapable of forming mate bonds, barring exceptional cases as mentioned above. Is this the case?

Question 3:

Assuming mate bonds DO form on the basis of a vampire's sexual/romantic orientation, and not on some amorphous metaphysical property I'm unaware of (Which could be the case, and I'd like to confirm whether it is or not), then there is no evidence I'm aware of in the text which confirms whether the mate bond forms on a basis of romantic attraction (And thus relative to a vampire/mate pair's romantic orientation(s) ), sexual attraction (And thus their sexual orientation(s) ) or a combination of both. This is an important question, because a great number of people (Even if they aren't too sure either way) have "cross-orientation" identities, meaning that their romantic and sexual orientations do not align (For example, I'm pansexual, but gyneromantic^). Assuming the first possibility is true, for example, as a vampire, I (Ignoring exceptional cases) would be incapable of being attracted to a mate who was not a woman. Assume the second is true, and I would be capable of finding a mate of any gender. Assume the last case is true, and again, I would only be able to have a mate who were a woman - this gets more complicated in cases such as an androsexual^^ gyneromantic (I know at least one IRL), who as vampires could potentially be attracted to women mates only in the first case, to men in the second case, but would be incapable of forming a mate bond entirely in the latter case.

In the story, all the mated vampire pairs seem to be sexually attracted to one another. However, they also seem to form deep emotional connections with one another regardless of appearance. A point in the second case's favour however is that none of the examples in the story who were turned before completing the majority of puberty (Up to and including Tanner Stage 5) have ever found mates. This could also support the third case, though, and could also be explained by a lack of emotional maturation in younger adolescents preventing the formation of a romantic orientation identity for themselves... In support of either the second option or the metaphysical unrelated-to-identities scenario is
Radiance Spoilers
Demetri's abusive behaviour with regards to his mate Allirea, which does not seem conducive with romantic attraction.

Having said all this, it's entirely possible that all the examples we see in the text in which both sexual and/or romantic attraction apparently exist between pairs of vampire mates are just because same-orientation^^^ allosexuals^^^^ are far more common among the general population than people with cross-orientation sexualities.

tl;dr: What I'd like to know is what type of attraction the list of potential mates (esp. with regards to gender) really is based on - romantic, sexual, both, or something else entirely.

^ Romantically attracted to women
^^ Sexually attracted to men
^^^ Concordant romantic and sexual orientations
^^^^ Persons who are consistently capable of being sexually attracted to others (Regardless of gender); Non-asexuals

Question 4:

Regardless of the answer to the previous question, unless my assumption that the sampling frame of potential mates is not determined by some magical case-by-case thing ignoring personal identities completely is incorrect, do both the mates in a pair have to have compatible romantic and/or sexual orientations for the mate bond to form, or only one (Especially in cases where only one of the pair is a vampire at the time they're made aware of the bond, if that matters - if the species of the other half of the pair doesn't affect the way the bond forms at all, it would be helpful for that to be clarified too tbh)?

Question 5:

Firstly, are vampires/werewolves with deceased mates/imprints entirely incapable of having new romantic or sexual relationships, as Edward suggests to Bella (with regards to vampires, at least), or is this more along the lines of a self-fulfilling prophecy? Secondly, are mated vampire pairs capable of being in polyamorous relationships or having multiple sexual partners? Can a mate bond be non-sexual and/or non-romantic in nature? Are vampires incapable of mating with people who haven't finished puberty yet, or family? If not, would their relationship/attraction still be romantic/sexual in the same way every mate bond in canon seems to be? Are imprinted wolves capable of having romantic/sexual partners beyond their imprint?

Question 6:

It's suggested both in Twilight and Luminosity canon that imprinting occurs based on an imprint's potential for reproduction and spreading wolf genes in the future. Seeing as in both versions of canon it is shown that an imprint attraction is not inherently sexual (or romantic), that in the latter that this is the case even when the imprint is fertile AND has gone through puberty, and that in many cases imprints become vampires or otherwise infertile (mostly through menopause) or die well before they even consider having a child with their/any other wolf, is this really the case? If it is, is the imprint attraction based on an imprint's potential for future healthy reproductive capabilities based on their body's state at the time the wolf first sees them, or on some mystical unknown oracular capabilities werewolf magic uses to select the best possible candidate (Probably in a way similar to - but more powerful than - Alice's ability through which she is able to see possible futures based on current events)? Does this mean that wolves can't imprint on womb-bearers who have become incapable of reproducing in the future? What about those who are only temporarily infertile? Are there any other conditions restricting the groups of people who can become imprints?

Question 7:

All the imprints in the story seem to be cis* women (I'm not sure whether all of them were (potentially) fertile at the time they were imprinted on, however), so my main question here is: Can women without wombs/ovaries or who are otherwise infertile at the moment an activated wolf sees them for the first time become imprints? Also, does a fertile womb-bearer need to be a woman to become an imprint? Victor and Maureen's case in Luminosity canon shows us that the imprint attraction can entirely ignore personal identities and sexual/romantic orientation, unless of course Victor's apparent romantic and sexual relationship with his imprint is in fact non-magical and she is just an exception to his sexuality (Assuming he doesn't turn around and start self-identifying as a bisexual/pansexual man later on), as often happens IRL (I'd like to confirm if this is the case or not, tbh), so a trans** man/non-binary*** AFAB person who isn't taking testosterone/hormone blockers or had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy at the first time a wolf who is capable of imprinting sees them could theoretically become an imprint. Regardless of the truth, it'd be interesting knowing why this is or is not the case.

Continuing with the trans/intersex**** theme, could a wolf who produces healthy sperm cells but is intersex or/and NOT a man imprint on someone? If they've activated but haven't imprinted yet, and undergo treatment (e.g. Orchidectomy, Hormone Blockers, Oestrogen) that would typically suppress gamete production in humans (Assuming hormonal treatment even works on werewolves, which I'd like to confirm tbh, though unless I'm misremembering some events in the story then surgical intervention should still be possible, right?), will they then still be capable of imprinting? What if they've already imprinted and do the same - will the imprint attraction remain in place? What if they become fertile again?

* Bearing a gender-identity congruent with the gender one was assigned at birth and not self-identifying to the contrary
** Bearing a gender identity different to the one assigned to one at birth and self-identifying as such
*** A gender that is not male or female in the immutable binary meaning of the words

**** Having sexual characteristics traditionally thought to belong to both the binary male and female sexes, or be otherwise ambiguous

Question 8:

What is the minimum amount of vampire heritage a hybrid would need to have to produce venom in their mouth (Given they're capable of producing sperm cells and testosterone healthily), and what is the minimum amount of vampire heritage a womb-bearing hybrid would need to start producing venom, if they're capable at all? Is this the same threshold past which a womb-bearing hybrid becomes infertile? If not, is there a threshold? What is it?
Would an intersex vampire hybrid, or an infertile testicle-bearing hybrid be capable of venom production, and if so, what amount of vampire heritage would they require to start producing it?

Would hybrids who undergo genital reconstruction surgery or hormone therapy stop or start producing venom in their mouths provided they have the right amount of vampiric ancestry? If so, what treatments specifically would cause this effect and how much would have to be done to achieve this? Assuming vampire hybrids can even undergo surgical treatment, would they actually respond at all to sex hormone treatment? Would this depend on how much vampiric ancestry they had - what is the threshold at which vampiric biological processes take over human ones?

Question 9:

How does the "perfecting" (For lack of a better word) of the human body during the turning process to becomes a vampire work - namely, would amputees/those with missing or dysfunctional limbs or organs regrow/fix them after turning? Do vampires have any internal organs - what are they? Would scars, tattoos or surgical alterations to the human body be reversed upon turning? Is there a limit to the amount of regrowth that can be done through turning? Would mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety be present after turning? Can a vampire actually have a human-like mental health condition? Would humans with conditions such as autism, dyslexia, OCD or personality disorders still behave as if these conditions were applicable to them after turning, even if they aren't (Considering how integrated they essentially are into a person's being, in so many cases)? What effects would being turned have on a human with a neurocognitive disorder (dementia)?

Seeing as penis-bearing vampires seem to produce some analogy for semen, and all vampires grow the hair they were capable of growing when turned as a human (Apparently), do vampires produce hormones, or are these functions regulated by 'venom' in a similar manner to the way in which they are put back together after being shattered? If so, are they the same as/similar to human hormones and/or produced by similar organs in the body? If so what would the removal of these organs do - can hormones be replaced in a vampire's body? Are vampire bodies maintained by such hormones/chemicals/processes? Additionally, if a human with otherwise healthy/intact penis/testicles was infertile at the time of being turned due to voluntary/forced sterilisation (Temporary or permanent), would they produce gametes as a vampire? What if they were infertile from birth, or intersex, or were assigned male at birth but no longer have a penis or testicles? Would their infertility be "fixed" then?
Regardless of the answers to the above questions, do vampire bodies always maintain exactly the same morphology as they had when they were turned (Ignoring hair growth)? Can vampire bodies be significantly and permanently altered - healthily, and with surgical precision - instead of just tearing pieces of them off?

It's pretty much stated both in Twilight and Luminosity canon that vampires are much more aesthetically pleasing and/or sexually attractive generally after turning. Given that the features that tell us (Humans, but probably also vampires to some extent?) whether someone's attractive or not vary based on gender, gender presentation, culture, age, size, and many more categories relevant only to individual people, etc., how exactly does the turning process achieve this? Is it based on their body type before turning, or in fact on some ideal "beautiful" internal vision they have of themselves?
What if the human was transgender^, intersex, and/or of a non-binary gender? Would they look like the gender they were assigned at birth? Would they look like their internal visions of themselves? What if their apparent gender changes - in the example of a genderfluid^^/bigender^^^ person or a trans person who thought they were cis when they turned - would they be stuck with the body they got when they turned, without being able to alter it?

^ Generally speaking, a synonym for "trans"
^^ Bearing multiple different genders at different times
^^^ Bearing two genders

- I am a massive perfectionist nerd with too much interest in queer issues and too much free time (It took me well over a week to finally get around to finishing these),
Zoë

P.S. I do apologise for all the worldbuilding questions to be honest, as I appreciate you didn't create the world yourself, to begin with at least - I was so impressed by the changes you did make however that I thought I could ask you all the questions I would never feel able to ask Stephenie Meyer, so thank you so much for creating these stories and also being available to ask stuff, tbh.

P.P.S. Thanks for reading through all of this. I know it's a lot of questions, so I would actually prefer it if you didn't answer right away so you can answer them all as best you can. Thanks again- it means a lot. :3

P.P.P.S. If I've included a factual inaccuracy (e.g. incorrectly defined something, made an incorrect reference to either Luminosity or Twilight canon, or made a poor assumption) or been seriously problematic with regards to my attitude and/or language in this or any of my other posts, please call me out on it ASAP so I can deal with it appropriately.
Last edited by Omniscient Trees on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
Omniscient Trees

Pronouns: She/Her/Her/Hers/Herself

Re: Some Questions about the Luminosity-verse

Postby Kappa » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Wow, this is a lot of post. I like it XD

Psst - I think you left the ^^^ off "bigender" down near the end there.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Omniscient Trees » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks! I fixed it. :3
Omniscient Trees

Postby Tamien » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 pm

I want to know the answers to all these questions also! Thanks for taking the time to think them all through and write them all up!

A little formatting note: To get a spoiler-box to work, put the content warning after "spoiler-box=" and within the brackets.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Omniscient Trees » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Fixed! Thanks for the advice.

The answers should be interesting, if nothing else.
Omniscient Trees

Postby Alicorn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:14 pm

1. The worldbuilding forces lots of Extreme Adventures In Monogamy. I rarely had reasons to specify characters' attractions to any sex beyond their Designated Eternal Life Partner(s). Some of them are ambiguous (could be bi/pan but it just doesn't come up) and others I've clarified in my head or in Effulgence. Addy, for instance, is aro-ace, and Chelsea panromantic with something you could describe as pansexuality a follow-on to that. Nobody else is coming up off the top of my head, but if you want to ask about a specific character who is more than an offhand mention I'll be happy to discuss in more detail.

2. Addy is both aro and ace. My stance on this for vampires in general is that if you're both, you will not mate bond, or get mate-bonded to, though imprinting doesn't care, but if you're only one of the two, the other opens you to being swatted with the overwhelming force that is vampire mating. (That is, if you're sexual but not romantic, the bond will lean really really hard on the sexuality to cause feelings, and if you're romantic but not sexual, the bond will basically turn you demisexual.)

3. People who can be mate-bonded are attracted to the sex, gender, and approximate personality of each other (where this kind of attraction is at all possible; if it's not, as described above they can cover for each other). Allirea and Demetri is an interesting case because the bond itself fucked it way up. It did not account for - itself, in matching them. If Demetri had been human and Allirea had run across him she'd have really, really liked him, and it's possible that she could have gotten to the point where she no longer needed to be able to fade from his notice, but because he was a vampire when they met, he couldn't be forced by her witchcraft to ignore her, she couldn't get space, and he couldn't leave her alone, which ruined everything. (I am very proud of this subtle tragedy.) Someone in the awkward position of an androsexual gyneromantic might have a very hard time running into anybody who suited them, but if someone who suits them exists, the magic can cover that possibility just fine - it's not impatient.

4. They have to match from both directions, for mating. (Imprinting doesn't care in either direction, there's no reason an aro-ace wolf can't wind up stuck on, say, an agender female who prefers to date girls.) The matching is required regardless of the species involved as long as one party is a vampire, although new mate bonds will not form with someone who is a wolf. (They can persist, as Brady with Pera.)

5. Widowed vampires could, in theory, if they can bring themselves to do any things at all, have sex with or date other people, but they're unlikely to be motivated to - this motivation is fairly uncommon even in vampires who just haven't mated yet. They might do it for practical reasons if they had an interest in the cooperation of someone they could seduce or wanted to have kids or something. Wolves suffering from imprint loss are overwhelmingly likely to be too stricken to do anything, even worse than widowed vampires, but - especially because the imprint is not necessarily sexual or romantic in nature - this isn't a special inability applied to sex/romance, it just sort of blahs over everything. In some extratextual resources I have declared that vampire mating can under the right conditions allow equilateral triads, although it becomes prohibitively intractable to add more than that and even triads would be vanishingly rare (in particular, you have to set them up so that no two-way bond between the compatible parties is established before the three-way one has a chance to take hold). I suppose now that you mention it if two asexual romantics who suited each other mate-bonded then they might not get the Suddenly Demisexuality result I described before, although I'm wavering on that; I'm having a much harder time modeling in my head the Perfect Fated Eternal Nonromantic Fuckbuddy. Vampires do not mate to children (for a slightly fuzzy definition of "child" which may tend to factor in emotional maturity as well as strict puberty criteria) and immortal children similarly do not mate, but there is no hard and fast anti-incest rule, albeit mating to anyone closer than a first cousin would be decidedly unusual. Incestuous mate bonds would not be different in any consistent way from more exogamous ones. Imprinted wolves whose imprints are such that the imprint has not been/become romantic/sexual can date and have sex with other people as long as those people don't mind somebody else being the center of their boyfriend's universe.

6. All imprints have to be potentially fertile childbearers at the time of the imprint - so no one who's permanently sterile for any reason (including hysterectomy, being a vampire, screwed-up ovaries, certain intersex conditions, whatever), but being on reversible birth control, two years old, menstruating right then, etc. do not block it. My hidden condition for when it goes sexual/romantic has to do with the imprint's readiness for sex/romance in general (that is to say, not necessarily with the wolf - a lesbian who is raring to date ladies will get a romantic wolf, but a very young member of the Future Paradigmatic Heterosexuals Club will not, an aro/ace imprint will not, even someone who is just going through a lot of emotional crap and can't even bring themselves to think about dating right now will not). The imprint will not break under any circumstances, including those that involve sterilization.

7. Trans women are not imprint targets for the reasons above, but sufficiently not-transitioned trans men or dfab nonbinaries could be. I... have no good answers on intersex wolves, I simply don't know enough about what the conditions in question are like in the edge cases, but susceptibility to imprinting affects them based on their biology, not their identities (so there could be trans women wolves who imprint). Both hormone and surgical interventions on wolves are extremely unlikely to get anywhere because they have ludicrous metabolisms and super-fast healing that doesn't care about things like stitches. Regardless, under no circumstances does an imprint break just because something happened to someone's body. In Effulgence, when there is more magic available, comprehensive magical sex changes work just fine on wolves without the wolf biology screwing them up, and the wolves, assuming they didn't also undergo species changes at the same time, assume the imprintability status of their target sex - but under no circumstances does an imprint break just because something happened to someone's body.

8. At the exactly-half-vampire mark, males produce venom and females don't. Any more than half, and either sex will; any less than half, and neither sex will. I feel sure that I've ruled somewhere on the childbearing ability of more-than-half vampires but can't remember what I said; my current reconstruction is that there could be fractions between half and three-quarters at which females are capable both of producing venom and bearing children. (I don't intend that the traits have very much relationship.) I would have to rule on any given intersex condition specifically, not in general. Regardless of details of sexual biology, if more than half, venom, if less, no venom, and if exactly eeeeenh depends. Hormone and surgical interventions on hybrids who have significant vampire components are iffy for the same reasons I describe about wolves above, but even if you made them work somehow they would not alter an individual's venomousness.

9. Turning does not restore completely absent parts except insofar as you could describe skin blemishes that way. Vampires don't so much have organs (except for lungs and stomachs and the corresponding tubes) as they have internal cleavage points which are shaped sort of like organs. Scars, tattoos, and comparably superficial alterations are reversed, but if you are missing teeth, a good-sized notch from your ear, a foot, etc., you will still be missing it after. Mental health is unchanged except as a side effect of the generalized improved cognitive speed, senses, and perfected memory, which has a lot of knock-on effects (vampires can be absolutely sure they did not leave the stove on, never suffer from amnesia, do not forget what order a sequence of letters was in, have plenty of cognitive space to handle sensory input, etc.). So a vampire would probably be able to cover for the disorders much better than a human, but they wouldn't technically go away except when they are just disorders of memory or something. I don't know enough about dementia to be specific to it. Vampires can absolutely, however, have depression. I am reluctant to attempt to make pronouncements about the chemical cocktails inside vampires that may pass for hormones and am largely inclined to handwave and say "venom does it" for all cases of "it". A vampire missing sex organs will not suffer side effects that are not related to now being physically shaped like a thing that lacks those organs, although if you turned a longstanding eunuch or something they will not subsequently develop changes of shape according to the hormones they ought to have had. Someone who has had a vasectomy - I'm unsure because I don't know enough about vasectomies; RISUG on the other hand would melt away during turning; someone who completely lacked the relevant organs will not sprout them or their associated powers. Someone who is infertile from birth but otherwise physically intact might find themselves fertile as a vampire, I haven't decided. (This is the sort of decision I'd hold off making until it became plot relevant and then I'd do whatever was meanest.) Vampires cannot be significantly permanently healthily altered except for the skin condition that the Volturi and Stefan and Vladimir involuntarily develop. They can temporarily bloat slightly if they eat a lot but they don't lose volume (distinguished from mass) if they don't eat, for example. There are three features that signify beauty crossculturally: health signals, symmetry, and koinophilia. Turning leans very heavily on the first two, though it has none of the information-gathering power it would need to use the latter. It is not using any information from the person's mind. People still look like they did before turning - if an untransitioned trans man is turned, he will look like a girl, just a more symmetrical and smoother girl than he used to look like. These factors apply just the same to intersex people - exact shape will depend on how many interventions they've accumulated pre-turning, and then they freeze. I'm not sure what physical interventions you have in mind for the genderfluid person; the turning process doesn't care about what you're wearing, anyway.

I have a tumblr, you didn't need to define any of those things on my account.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Now I'm kindof torn between wanting Addy to stay single and wanting her to find her Fated Eternal Amoral Lab Partner
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Random, not relevant-actually comment:

"Extreme Adventures In Monogamy" sounds like a webseries.

Could a vampire end up with "hollow" spaces where non-organic stuff used to be? like implants or a bullet that are melted by venom?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Implants, bullets, etc. will all melt early and fill in during the turning process; they will not have internal gaps.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:48 am

What happens to something that does not melt during the turning process? I can't remember offhand if venom melts glass, but surely in the wide wide multiverse at least one physical material might be found that it can't melt. Wishcoins, if nothing else. So if you turn and then pull the widget out, do you gloop back into the widgetless shape, or do you have a widget-shaped space in you for the rest of your vampy life?
Last edited by Kappa on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Next

Return to Storytime