Name Attractors: How Do They Work

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Name Attractors: How Do They Work

Postby Kappa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:50 am

Kolyas from non-Earths tend to have names that resemble some close-ish relative of "Nikolai"; when I picked a name for a female Kolya, though, I went with Yelena/Alyona (name and nickname respectively), so female Kolyas from non-Earths might have names that derive from that instead.

Dominiques don't really have a name attractor as such.

Stevens, besides ones that are just called Steven, have names that are either relatives of "Steven" in worlds where using real-life names makes sense (Etienne) or derived variants in worlds where it makes sense to use those (Isten, and there's going to be a Taphinieu). But the attractor isn't a hundred percent - Nathaniel got grandfathered in because I didn't completely know what the template was going to be like when I existed him, and Shadow doesn't have a name yet so he is just Shadow. There could end up being more Stevens with non-Steven-related names if that made sense for some reason.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Aestrix » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

My name attractors are pretty fluid and non-conforming, but I'll give explaining them a shot.

Adarins are inclined to a either a 'dar' or 'dan' sound in their first name - usually I like to reserve the 'dan' syllable for when something strange is going on, meta-wise. Adana, for example - is a girl. Since Adarins are primarily male, this is strange enough to get the weird syllable. Their names will also tend to start off with vowels, though it doesn't necessarily have to - male Adarins on Earth will tend towards getting Darren, due to phonetic closeness to the original name. Middle names will start with an 'E,' though there isn't a set method to the how on this one. Last names differ a bit, but will tend to starting with either a C or an S.

Zev name attractors are reasonably straightforward in created fantasy settings - they will contain the syllable 'Zev,' probably at the start of the name but not required. It's when they encounter Earth that they get a bit weird - the original name of 'Zeviana' is kind of difficult to make work with American naming schemes. Savannah was picked because 'Sav' as a syllable sounds similar to 'Zev' while still fitting with an Earthly name. For Zane, though, I couldn't find a male Earthly name with the required syllable that I actually liked, and when that occurs I go with a name that starts with a Z that seems appropriate. Middle names will start with a 'T' and have both an 'A' and an 'I' in the name - original middle name's Taviri, but the syllables are completely fine with being switched, so we get Savannah with Tiffany and Zane with Tristan. Last names are the same as Adarins, for obvious reasons.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 am

Elspeth names have so far always been two or three syllables, started with E and otherwise voweled with schwas, and are likely to contain a fricative, an L, and a P, though none is strictly required. Elspeth, Evelyn, Espen. Their middle names follow no sound attractors and will instead allude to one or more people endeared to their parents - I don't have a middle name for Espen yet, but Elspeth's middle name is Annarose because of Gianna and Rosalie, and Evelyn's is Tina as a tweak of her great-aunt Chris's name. Their last names will be whatever their father's is (so, Cullen for Elspeth, Kirsch for Evelyn, and we haven't got a port for Edvard set up yet.)
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Marri » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:49 pm

I know Earthly people named Zane. Two, in fact xD You don't have to port anything if you don't want to!
Marri

Postby Tulip » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:45 pm

The Bell name attractor normally affects her biological parents, hence its lack of effect on what her adopted parents call her. But what would happen with a Bell who either doesn't have biological parents or whose parents didn't get a chance to name her? The attractor is inescapable, so there's no way that would actually let her sidestep it, but where would the name come from instead?
Tulip

Postby Shoal » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Mister Tulip wrote:The Bell name attractor normally affects her biological parents, hence its lack of effect on what her adopted parents call her. But what would happen with a Bell who either doesn't have biological parents or whose parents didn't get a chance to name her? The attractor is inescapable, so there's no way that would actually let her sidestep it, but where would the name come from instead?

Isn't that what happens to Linyabel?
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Alicorn » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:41 pm

I mean, obviously wherever the Bell's name comes from is where the bel syllable comes from and this is just typically the bioparents. Promise comes into existence already named by magic. Linyabel is named by her designer. Katie/Astrid may well have chosen their original name; canon is unspecific around how fairies with no social parents get their names and self-choosing sounds as reasonable as anything.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Alicorn wrote:I mean, obviously wherever the Bell's name comes from is where the bel syllable comes from and this is just typically the bioparents. Promise comes into existence already named by magic. Linyabel is named by her designer. Katie/Astrid may well have chosen their original name; canon is unspecific around how fairies with no social parents get their names and self-choosing sounds as reasonable as anything.

...Promise isnt the one from mars?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Marri » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Promise is its own world, based on the Names short story, iirc.
Marri

Postby Tulip » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Ah. I guess the memo I missed was that it's the first name they get that's subject to the attractor, rather than some other rule typically fulfilled by Bellparents. But yeah, that makes sense.
Tulip

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime