Name Attractors: How Do They Work

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: Name Attractors: How Do They Work

Postby Alicorn » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:02 pm

The short story is titled Visitor, but yeah, that's where Promise is from.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:05 am

Aestrix: Do "Adrian", "Adriana", "Adrienne", etc fit the Adarin name attractors?
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Aestrix » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:50 am

Nope! <3
Aestrix

Postby DanielH » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Chelseas (and Aftons)? I’d like to recognize them right away if I see one in a glowfic. Unfortunately, I feel if I meet somebody matching the naming scheme in real life I will have unfair negative feelings about them, but that’s true whether I know the attractor or not.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Chelsea names start with Ch, S, K, or Sh sounds (I don't think I've actually named any a Sh name before but it's possible; Z is also potentially allowed but less likely), a vowel that's almost invariably an E, and then an L (or possibly an R) and an optional vowel that's also usually more E- or A-like than, say, an O or a U, and then another sound from the [Ch, S, K, Sh] set (usually S) followed by anything else. There's room for other "anything else" in there too. Chelsea, Chelise, Chelsa, Chelasi, Kelsey, Selsiketra going by "Selsi". "Cherish" fits (and Cherish will be Chelseaed) but that's obviously not her given name, which is "Chelsea" again. I bet kappa could program a Chelseas Name Generator that got acceptable Chelseaish names every time.

Note that a lot of, say, Charlie names technically fit this attractor, not to mention random innocent third parties like Céleste.

Aftons don't have anything so regular but will only ever be found in the companies of Chelseas and their names will tend to start with A and end with N.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Yeah, programming a Chelsea-generator from that would be easy and probably always pronouncable, but the “anything else” part would be beyond me if I wanted to make it namelike or pronouncanle, so I’d simplify it to something simple so that it could actually generate “Chelsea” but not “Selsiketra”. I can’t speak for kappa, but most decent programmers with little-to-no linguistics knowledge would probably say the same and produce different simplifications of the “anything else” bit.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:00 pm

I just wrote a specialized generator for the parts described and then stuck on an extra syllable (one by default, more than that also possible) from one of my existing language generators to fill for "anything else".
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Anya » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:11 pm

I was wondering why you named the Soph and Alex templates what you did. Sophia and Alexander are Greek, or something, right? How do you think Renee's and Charlies decided on them? Is there a theme to Bel/Soph/Alex names? And if there was to be a fourth Swan child, what would you name them?

Sorry, heh. Random line of thought that got carried away. :)
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:15 pm

I don't remember how I picked Lexi's name, but the rest of them are backgenerated from that. I think for Soph I might have looked at a baby name website's list of names that are commonly siblings of Isabellas and used that? I might have done this for Lexi too, Alexandra does appear on that list. If I needed a fourth I'd probably do the same thing; names which are okay and don't have obvious collision problems with other characters include Jack and Amelia. (A single template wouldn't include both people named Jack and people named Amelia; I'd name the first one something gender-appropriate and go from there with Jacqueline or Mel or whatever).

Sophia being a Greek name only became important when I needed the male version and there wasn't an obvious pivot like "Alexandra" had.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Now I'm wondering where you could manage to stick more Bell siblings... XD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Previous

Return to Storytime