There should also be an Incandescence thread

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: There should also be an Incandescence thread

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Not really a practical concern, but have you guys thought on what would happen if a non-human-but-human-compatible-humanoid and critter had offspring?

Alicorn wrote:Feel free to name a cape "Sweep".

*quietly scoops the "Sweep" and runs away*
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby DanielH » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Does that mean that if Phix and Max married each other and had kids without discovering a medallion, it would have been reasonably likely for them to be surprised by non-peryton kids when, as far as they could tell, Phix was pure human? Presumably at that point if not before they’d invent better creature-detection spells, but not everybody would do that.

Also, could you post a worldbuilding thread for the sorceresses and add them to the index?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:07 pm

If Phix hadn't found a medallion and they got married and had kids, they'd have a decent chance of having sphinxes, and then they'd know that Phix had to be something, but they wouldn't automatically know what. They could give her or one of the non-peryton children a blank medallion and see what happened. (Sphinxes are genuinely very rare at this time, or no one could have thought them extinct, for approximately this reason.)

I will add the sorceresses thread to the index and I'll get around to doing a worldbuilding thread soonish.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:14 pm

By “blank medallion”, you mean a sphinx medallion owned by nobody (and a dragon one, etc., because they’re unlikely to guess correctly on the first try)? I guess that makes sense; I was foolishly thinking that all the medallions were lost at the time sphinxes became supposedly extinct.

That would still be an issue for anybody who happened to be a unicorn or something else thought to not exist, but I guess the dominant (and correct) hypothesis would still be “critter we can’t find a medallion for”.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:13 pm

No, I mean there are medallions that work for any species, but they're rare and expensive.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:17 pm

I was under the impression that "blank medallion" didn't mean one that worked for any species, but rather one that did not depict its species on it and was probably really old and valuable.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby DanielH » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:25 pm

I had missed the existence of blank medallions. Those sound useful.

I suppose once they did find out the species they’d be able to get sphinx medallions for Phix and other sphinx kids, because those probably wouldn’t have all disappeared in the dragon war.

I doubt they’d actually have this argument, and if they did I bet they’d resolve it quickly and peacefully, but I’m imagining Max accusing Phix of cheating on him because of the non-peryton kids. I guess that would be easier to catch with critters in general.
DanielH

Postby DanielH » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to say this for a while and it looks like the chance may soon disappear. I expect it may also start more conversations in this thread than just leaving my comment about blank medallions and critters cheating on each other.

And, on to sorcery! I was wondering whether or not I was hoping for an Adarin in Momentum (Adarins are cool and would like the cool magic), or whether I wanted to see an Idania be the main character. I still don’t know which I’d have preferred, but I strongly suspect the hermit in Var is a Zev, so the question of which I get seems probably answered.
Last edited by DanielH on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Momentum contains no native Adarin.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Then I strongly suspected incorrectly. This is probably a good thing in general, although I’m a bit disappointed to not see how an Adarin would fit in here. I guess the magic doesn’t have enough moving parts to properly geek out over.
DanielH

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime