There should also be an Incandescence thread

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: There should also be an Incandescence thread

Postby Marri » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:26 pm

This angel has been mentioned before. My recollection is that the angel had put their summoner into a vegetative state in a hospital and then changed their face etc so as to make them entirely unrecognizable. No furniture state for the summoner.
Marri

Postby AndaisQ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm going back through the Gemini stories, and I noticed that #1 on the People Saved In Yellowstone list went to a Gemini named "Sweep". Was it ever officially decided what their bonus was, or was that just a plausible-sounding handwavey codename?
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Alicorn » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:01 am

Plausible-sounding handwavey codename. No other information about Sweep exists.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby AndaisQ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 am

Ah. I had mostly assumed that, but it would have bugged me not to check.

...Now I'm trying to think of a power that could feasibly allow you to save substantially more than three million people. Dangit.
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:13 am

My first guess would be super-speed, but with such high account, my new guess would be mass teleportation without a people limit like Flicker?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:52 am

With a codename like Sweep I'd guess large-scale telekinesis. They picked up a huge mass of people and moved them in a big mass to somewhere else.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:05 am

PlainDealingVillain wrote:With a codename like Sweep I'd guess large-scale telekinesis. They picked up a huge mass of people and moved them in a big mass to somewhere else.

That doesn't sound very efficient

I also tempted to steal the name for a OC possible-worm Super-hero, but with the ability to turn into a cloud >.>
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:53 am

Feel free to name a cape "Sweep".
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Ezra » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:36 am

DanielH wrote:It certainly fits the statement I’ve heard several times but can’t find a name for that, if you’re a certain number of generstions old (depending on breeding habits of your population), either everybody or nobody is your descendant.

But then people would think “sometimes, even if one parent is a critter and the other isn’t, the kid kight not be a critter” (because the other parent and the kid would be a forgotten species). This doesn’t match the observed and reported data, so must be fairly rare if it does happen.

Further contemplation suggests:

Suppose one parent is a satyr with a medallion, and the other is a sphinx without. The satyr medallion will want to disguise the child. Then: the medallion ensures that the child is a satyr in human form.

If the other parent had a medallion, then the medallions would interact, and we would recover the more familiar critter-critter inheritance patterns. Without it, known types dominate unknown in medallion-aware circles.

This is testable. Do the canons yet have an example of one critter having children with another, when one parent already has a medallion but the other is still disguised human?

Plot hook: find something that's definitely a medallion, but not for any known critter type. Now you'll want to design a search that checks compatibility in the general population, but without giving away the masquerade. Very few people who are in on the masquerade can possibly be candidates, because of the medallion dominance effect above.
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:53 pm

The rules we've been working with in both Medallion and Superluminal (as I understand it) is that both parents of a critter/critter pair are equally likely to pass on their species unless there's something complicated going on with a single-gendered species, and medallion spells will pass on even from only one parent if applicable to the child's species. I can't think of canon examples of the tests you suggest off the top of my head.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime