[Fun With Meta] Bells And Parents

Plain old discussion of Alicorn stories.

Re: [Fun With Meta] Bells And Parents

Postby Alicorn » Mon May 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Hmmmmmm.

If I were going to do that - I'm not particularly inclined to, but I think in this case the Renée would wind up being neglectful and the Charlie would wind up being cold. The Bell would do okay with that - "cold" does not harm Bells nearly as much as some mustache-twirling modes of behavior might and the Renée would just go around being hedonistic and ignore her child altogether. As long as the Bell had relatively consistent access to the basic necessities and knew how to avoid pissing her dad off she'd grow up to Bell as Bellishly as anybell. She would feel some attachment to cold!Charlie and none to speak of for neglect!Renée.

When I say Bells aren't socially nice I mean they're sarcastic and contemptuous and flippant and impatient and hypoempathetic. They never go out of their way to be socially unpleasant.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Tamien » Mon May 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Yeah, I was curious if it would even be possibly to get a Bell who did go out of her way to be socially unpleasant, or if a Bell in an extremely evil-encouraging society would still find a way to avoid evil (and the same of her parents, who it sounds like are a bit more susceptible to evil than she is, but still somewhat resistant).
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Certainly a Bell in this society would have less interest in devoting her time/effort into restraining her impulses to the sort of social unkindnesses that Bells find attractive. I don't think you could make her evil, but you could make her seriously unpleasant company. Heck, a couple Bells already are kind of unpleasant company.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 21, 2014 5:31 am

Alicorn wrote:Heck, a couple Bells already are kind of unpleasant company.

Who exactly?

Is the "bel"-in-the-name thing a Charlie-Renée thing?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby AndaisQ » Wed May 21, 2014 7:03 am

The typical examples are Aegis, who has all the social niceties of a surly Marine and little to no understanding of how any person other than herself works, and Golden, who has a superiority complex reaching into lower orbit and several generous helpings of psychological trauma. They're working on it, but it's led to some pretty tense social situations.

Actually, I'm not certain if we're supposed to count Golden among the "unpleasant company Bells" or if that's just how my mental filing categorizes her after the incident with Stella and Alice. Awaiting Word Of God, I'm going to file her under that.
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 21, 2014 7:08 am

AndaisQ wrote:The typical examples are Aegis, who has all the social niceties of a surly Marine and little to no understanding of how any person other than herself works, and Golden, who has a superiority complex reaching into lower orbit and several generous helpings of psychological trauma. They're working on it, but it's led to some pretty tense social situations.

Actually, I'm not certain if we're supposed to count Golden among the "unpleasant company Bells" or if that's just how my mental filing categorizes her after the incident with Stella and Alice. Awaiting Word Of God, I'm going to file her under that.

I guessed Aegis, but that mostly is a "in text" opinion, I don't dislike her myself.

I am not sure about Golden. I assumed that was a "Bell with a Edward thing" that she was unpleasant to Jokers
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Kappa » Wed May 21, 2014 7:18 am

Aegis actually has unusually high insight into Jokers for a Bell - she seems to have kind of traded that for ability to interact pleasantly with, uh, anyone who doesn't belong to one of those two templates.

I would categorize Golden as unpleasant company only in specific situations to specific people. But yeah.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 21, 2014 7:27 am

Kappa wrote:Aegis actually has unusually high insight into Jokers for a Bell - she seems to have kind of traded that for ability to interact pleasantly with, uh, anyone who doesn't belong to one of those two templates.

This makes obscene amounts of sense.

Kappa wrote:I would categorize Golden as unpleasant company only in specific situations to specific people. But yeah.

Yeah, sort of an anti-aegis situation plus the fact that Golden has to act like the rightful ruler of an overpowered anthrophagic species.

On the other hand, who are the most pleasant Bells?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Anya » Wed May 21, 2014 9:14 am

Angela, I would say. And Glass.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Wed May 21, 2014 9:43 am

Anya wrote:Angela, I would say. And Glass.

I am not disagreeing, but Angela has this air of "stern-but-nice middle school teacher" that makes me want to disagree. I think they are good hosts.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

PreviousNext

Return to Storytime