Flying?

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Flying?

Postby linkhyrule5 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Is it actually possible for an ... air-aspect, I can't remember what they're called in Ardelay - to fly? It seems like the obvious thing to do with wind powers, but apparently we had three consecutive attempts that all ended in injury or death, so...
linkhyrule5

Pronouns: He

Re: Flying?

Postby Alicorn » Sat May 03, 2014 7:58 pm

Well, in the books the Dochenza prime is not shown to fly except via invention of the airplane, so I think it is at least not straightforward.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Sun May 04, 2014 5:02 am

Air aspect is elay. The relevant language is Welchin.

If Sary succeeds at it, one or more of the following factors will be at work:

• Tia will invent her a thing
  • She will have a powerset different from other Dochenza primes we've seen, enough that flying sans airplane is feasible for her where it wasn't for them
  • She will be cautious about it in ways that previous experimenters weren't, and therefore will survive sufficient repeated trials to develop a working method
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby cbhacking » Sun May 04, 2014 12:31 pm

I get the feeling that it could maybe be used to "power" a glider, that kind of deal... It takes a lot less thrust to generate enough lift to fly, given a decent airfoil, than it does to just lift a person off the ground. The latter is *possible* even in nature, but if the Dochenza prime is even capable of generating hurricane-force winds, the owners of the surrounding area would still probably prefer them not to.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Sun May 04, 2014 12:34 pm

*snicker*

It's not entirely out of the question that part of the unusual powerset might be the ability to make herself lighter, if I went that way. But I'm likelier to go the way of "Tia invents her a thing".
Kappa

Postby Alphabeta » Sun May 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Does "a powerset different from other Dochenza primes we've seen" cover access to wishcoins? :P
Alphabeta

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Sun May 04, 2014 2:33 pm

No. It's lightly implied by canon, and taken as read by us, that successive primes of the same element may get different sets of element-related powers drawn from the same basic repertoire.
Kappa

Postby modrony » Tue May 06, 2014 2:59 pm

I'd think making yourself lighter e.g. altering gravity is more earth-thing than air-thing.
Maybe she could make air stationary and hard and walk on it or use a hot-air/vacuum balloon?

Actually canon implies earth-kinesis since earth does not normally move.
Just use that on your own flesh and presto :)
modrony

Return to Spoilerland!