Amenta Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Amenta Worldbuilding Info

Postby Adelene » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Huh, this might actually get us a Dusk with a family. She's yellow/orange, depending on whether it's patrilineal or matrilineal where she is; in cases where it goes by personal affinity when you have mixed parentage she's orange but could easily be miscategorized - her hair comes in yellow, I think. In either case it looks like she'd get dropped on orange grand- or great-grandparents and probably end up confined to the house since she handles crowds pretty badly and can't hear instructions well enough to follow them reliably; I think I'll end up handling her 'not in contact with her bioparents' attractor by having them be in a different city than the relatives who're raising her.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 pm

Personal affinity cultures are rare and weird, but you could make one up if she can be from a small obscure country. It is totally kosher for her grand+parents to keep her inside if she'd be disruptive out and likeliest that she'd be brought up orange if she's being brought up by orange family and didn't sort very obviously by the age at which school starts (even if she winds up not going to school, although there are probably some special ed options if they want).
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Ezra » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:43 am

Is every country agreed on the number and general colors of castes? Alternatively, are there countries that distinguish, like, indigo-purple jobs from violet-purple jobs?
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Throne3d » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 am

Relatedly: Are there small underdeveloped tribes in the middle of nowhere which follow castes differently (or alternatively don't follow them) and has there been pressure for them to assimilate? (Alternatively horror stories where they're all killed off due to being unclean? … Or I guess just left alone.) Is there a history of countries meeting up and finding the cultures wrt castes are very different (and then later pressure to assimilate, with the current system winning out)…?
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Moriwen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am

Presumably Amentans have eyebrows -- do those match hair color? (I am picturing Peka laboriously dying her eyebrows...) (also I am doing icons for fun and wondering about whether I should give Amanda Seyfried green eyebrows, that too)
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Kaylin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:53 am

I've been assuming yes if all other body hair matches. I'm glad I'm not the only person who's been making Amenta icons for fun.
Kaylin

Pronouns: they/them (subject to change)

Postby pedromvilar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 am

You do know what Moriwen's definition of fun is, right?
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Moriwen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

I was thinking yes, but then I thought about the part where Peka finds herself sans bleach and goes "uhhh maybe I'll wear a headscarf" (which presumably would not conceal eyebrows) and thought I'd best check.

(<3333 pedro)
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am

I mean, I'm pretty sure eyebrows would start showing at the roots considerably slower than head hair.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am

The caste system is not as old as the species, either in its current form or in general, but they didn't leave any uncontacted tribes and the same system is now in use anywhere. It's possible that city purple and country purple are displaying divergent shades in some places to the point where people will use dye to get correct expectations but it's not systematized.

Amentans have eyebrows and they are the correct color but head roots show faster, yes.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!