Amenta Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Amenta Worldbuilding Info

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 pm

If you want to avoid any Amenta stories not part of a larger continuity you can do that without her not writing them.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:29 pm

I didn't meant that seriously. I am sorry.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby anthusiasm » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:36 pm

We're having a cuddle party at Lata's sister's place.

Given what we know about reds and sex I assumed "cuddle party" would refer to A Sex Thing, is that the case here?
anthusiasm

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:14 pm

No, it's a body heat thing. They are all going to get under the same bunch of blankets and be warm.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:20 pm

DNA testing is going to absolutely destroy this society, isn't it. Actually, given the tech level, is it being suppressed deliberately?
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Nemo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Huh. That is a really good point; it just needs someone to invent it. And it's even already foreshadowed in the sandbox containing a Fëanor.
Nemo

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kaylin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:34 am

Since the urge to instantiate my characters in Amenta does not seem to be going away any time soon, can you tell us about Amentan names? We've seen quite a few examples, but are there concrete rules you follow when coming up with them?
Kaylin

Pronouns: they/them (subject to change)

Postby Alicorn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:38 am

Tapap does not have voiced consonants except for M and N, nor R, or L. Anitami doesn't have R and is pretty light on the voiced stops and almost never uses U or O. Voan has no formal orthographic limits, at least right now, which is why it sounds less distinct. Amenta has a lot of languages so if your characters live somewhere else they could be called whatever.

In both Tapa and Anitam your second name is a job name - you pick a word suited to the nature of your career track whenever you have one in mind. You can change it, although you're not supposed to adopt one until you don't expect to have to do that. It's sort of like e.g. "Smith" used to be before surnames were a thing, though a little more freeform - Makel could pick "Singer" but could also go with "Music" or "Voice" or something. If you share a given and job name with somebody you each pick another words and stick it in the middle - in Makel's case he might go with "best" or "golden" or "renowned" or something, it is typical to be self-aggrandizing in the middle name.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Adelene » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 pm

So, tell us about the handling of disabled kids in Amenta? Asking for Dusk-related reasons.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Varies by caste. Physical disabilities are hard on greys and mental disabilities that don't even leave you artistic skills are hard on greens, in particular. I will now meander generically over the subject but if you pick a caste for a Dusk I can discuss more specifically.

I think they handle competing access needs differently - they basically don't use service animals for anything because of animal allergies, for instance, and anybody whose needs include a place with no crowding is probably shit out of luck in a city because they are so fucking crowded. Hair dye is not obligatory for anyone except reds-to-look-red-if-they-don't-by-default. Anyone who is suspected of being incapable of complying, or unlikely to comply, reliably with population laws is likely to be sterilized even if the suspicion is not founded on "they did it once or twice". They certainly have institutions but people are likely to have more generations of ancestors around (it is not particularly uncommon for an adult to have one or even several living great great great great grandparents, though they'd be old) and that increases the odds that somebody can take care of them at home if the care is not desperately unpleasant or technical in nature. Oranges run institutions, potentially with grey orderlies and purple janitorial type people. They are not particularly better than humans at running institutions. Reds do not get institutions even in places that offer them prisons; if the red community can't handle their shit internally then when their mentally ill bother a clean caste they probably just die.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!