Amenta Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Amenta Worldbuilding Info

Postby Ezra » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Regarding the profession-hobby line, can they do shows like "Dancing with the Stars" that involve making people do things that are pretty far out of their regular line of work, or is that too much like cross-caste work?

How does film acting in general work - do members of one particular caste play everybody, or are actors hired from various castes, or is there some other arrangement?
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby DanielH » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:44 pm

I work with computers in both a theoretical computer science (green) way and a practical programming (yellow) way. I make money programming, but I think that at some point I may go to grad school and get a Ph.D. in CS. Or maybe not, but it is at least one possibility.

What institutional barriers would stop/inconvenience a yellow who wanted to do that? If they had enough money saved would they be not allowed into a grad school equivalent type program, or would it be just Not Done but possible, or what?
DanielH

Postby lintamande » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 pm

There are religions: do any of them have any content? There are also theologians who said, for example, that that one country's rotation + decontamination plan was okay, are those from any particular religion or is pollution law sort of its own field? There hasn't been a caste social justice movement anywhere? Do they have gender roles? Did they at some point in history?
lintamande

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 am

but you still have to vote for a [s]lizard[/s] blue

Is that a Hitchhiker's Guide reference? :D
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:33 pm

You can do Dancing with the Stars as long as the Stars are not making money for dancing per se (or they're grey Stars, even if they're detectives).

Greens play everybody, by and large. You're allowed to hire purple extras in some locales, if all they have to do is wear what you put them in and hang around. Hair dye and wigs are involved. Dance-heavy roles may have greys in them. People can cameo *as themselves* regardless of caste.

A yellow can't go to a green uni and get a theoretical comp sci degree for the same reason a dude can't go to a women's college. They just won't take you, it doesn't matter how good you are, it's not for you.

I have not much developed any religions but I think monotheism has never been popular and gods per se aren't even that big a deal, they're more like Daoism sort of deals. Theologians who figure out how pollution works are a specialty but would belong to some religion, I wanna say sorta like rabbis who bless ovens full time or something.

There are clean-caste movements to get oranges afforded more respect and encourage considering promotion-from-within even across caste boundaries (like, if you have a purple retail clerk you trust, you could maybe just let them do your books instead of getting a yellow accountant, wouldn't that be snazzy) and more social integration generally.

They get genderier in the springtime/early summer but not enough to have a major effect on most things. Equatorial societies have more of a gender role tendency. They're not significantly dimorphic in height or strength or anything (average height is like 5'6" in both sexes). They have easier pregnancies than humans do - they save up lots of resources for upcoming offspring the rest of the year - so those don't take anybody other than, like, pro gymnasts, out of commission for long. Basically they do not have gender except insofar as many people have monosexual sexual preferences and may dress to flatter themselves to relevant parties. (I think haircuts and pronouns are not gendered.)

Yes.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:02 pm

...I moved some posts from my author thread that are about Amenta but they seem to have been placed ahead of the actual first post of this topic, probably because of their date. Does anyone know how to fix that?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Re: Re: Alicornucopia [Alicorn Author Thread]

Postby Kappa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:20 pm

If it's possible to edit the date on the posts, that might do it? Otherwise IDK.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm

I do not seem to be able to do that =/
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Ezra » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:43 pm

My first thought is to snag an older post of your own from somewhere, ideally from the very end of a thread so it can be easily replaced with a fresh one, and shuffle the contents around.
Ezra

Postby Alicorn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Wow, what a laborious hack. I will go hunting for such a post.

ETA: done. I even found one that was quoted in full one post downstream in its original thread.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!