Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:00 am

I considered "boy", decided against it, I don't want to mix anything that sounds very age-specific to the audience in here. ("Miss" almost fails this criterion but in real life it refers to marital status.) I do mean for these to be things you can say without an attached name.

"Mx" is, like, criminally unaesthetic. I relegate it to strident fringe switch activists.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Ezra » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Sometimes people have invested a lot of time into some unique divination skill, and then someone comes along with a precog and pays them only counterfactually for the use of that skill. I imagine this is particularly prevalent with powers like mindreading, where a customer might not want anyone to know that they had used that service.

If I were offering such a skill, I'd be tempted to, say, team up with a precog. You can pay the pair of us to have my precog counterfactually ask me a question, but outside that framework, I'm gonna ask my precog to confirm they're on (and therefore we're not being precogged) before I tell you any results.

Does this sort of thing work as described? Does it exist in the market? Is it getting in the way of all this counterfactual hiring that Bella and Maitimë are doing?
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:54 pm

That works as described and I declare it to exist.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Could you describe on more detail what precogging your death is like? That almost sounds like evidence of a weird afterlife.

Are precogs able to see up to their time limit subjective time in Milliways, or does it interfere in a similar (or different) manner than other precogs, or what? What about the getting of doors?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:34 pm

Precogging your death precogs all of your senses going completely dead, because I find it pleasingly aesthetic for it to work like that instead of not working like that. It is different from precogging an interference, which just drops you out as though you decided to stop looking ahead there.

I think I'd let Eclipse precogs who weren't combining remote viewing or whatever work in Milliways by default. I think doors are too indeterministic for them to see and will be a surprise.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Given that you say doors are too indeterministic, could they see doors coming if they were in some way predictable? Shell Bell, Gem in the sandbox with Maggie’s magical girl world (where she got a door on purpose by opening one that was a door last loop), a sentient building, momentum, etc.?

If an Eclipse world were to be connected to an afterlife, would potentially-dying precogs notice? With Downside presumably only some would be woken up within the relevant timeframe, but assuming that happened?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:02 am

I think precognition doesn't interact with the deterministicness of Gem's time loop in quite the right way, but Shell Bell/Emily/Kithabel yes.

Depends on the afterlife, Downside I think nnnno.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:49 pm

How long would a mage need to think about orbital mechanics before they could engineer an eclipse on a monthly basis, and would that work like in watch your step? This would require just a very small change to the orbit of the moon, I believe.

360,000 births per day × some probability¹ of surviving to about age 12 × 0.1% chance of eclipse × 30 days/moon cycle² = some fraction of 10,800 people worldwide eclipsing. That isn’t nearly as bad as the typical Earth eclipse cycle.

In fact, this is about one person per minute if you’re working standard 40-hour weeks. That’s a bit ridiculous, but it’s easy enough for ten teleporter mage–lockdown psion pairs, one two-months-in-advance precog, and one organizing hypercog, all working at about 40 hours/week. Obviously that isn’t nearly as easy with rarer eclipses because a month is much easier to see than a few years.

¹I haven’t found much good data about this, but I haven’t looked that much, and it turns out not to matter much.
² This is the synodic month, not the sidereal one
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Fucking with celestial bodies would require a metabolic efficiency no eclipsed has managed.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:21 am

Is it possible for a mage to create food/matter with enough metabolic efficiency that they could feed themselves (maybe others) in a closed environment such as a space ship?

And if not, can this be an error that the show Space Mages commits that causes eclipsi geeks to be immensely annoyed.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!