Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Postby Moriwen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:31 pm

I am slightly surprised that Eclipse distinguishes men's and women's shoe sizes. (I guess maybe it carries over from clothes, where there's at least some logistical reason to separate into men's and women's, because different body shapes? But shoes themselves don't actually have any reason to be separated into men's and women's as far as I know, instead of just having a larger range of sizes.)
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Adelene » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:27 pm

Eclipse is supposed to be basically an Earth, and at least in America that's a thing. It's mostly a straightforward conversion, though - men's shoes are one step wider and take numbers 1.5 lower, by default. (I take a 9.5 wide in women's or an 8 in men's, for example, both of which are hard to find - shoes that wide in the first case, shoes that small in the second. *shakes fist at shoe makers*)
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby DanielH » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:46 pm

I believe Moriwen meant that the separation was surprising given that gender is a less relevant concept in Eclipse, with role partially taking its place. If men have wider feet on average than women the division might or might not still be relevant.

Of course, however shoes are marketed, some people just have feet that don’t easily fit mass-produced shoes. Maybe some mage-sensitive tech will eventually be produced which can custom-cobble shoes cheaper than a traditional cobbler.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Sandbox Discussions

Postby jalapeno_dude » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Can you use multiple psions to bootstrap time-limited precognition? E.g. Alice and Bob both have one-hour limits, Alice checks the result of asking Bob 59 minutes from now about something 59 minutes after that. (One obvious use case is if Bob instead has 1-year range; then you could pay Alice instead of Bob though I'd imagine Bob would adopt some precommitment strategy that would still end up with him getting lots of money even without having to expend non-counterfactual energy.)
Last edited by jalapeno_dude on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Alicorn » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:03 pm

No backchaining even with two psions.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:11 pm

What is the role-neutral (or perhaps the sub) form of address for males? Any established gender-neutral dom/sub/role neutral?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:28 pm

I don't have a good sub address for males but am considering "mister" for subs or for a role-neutral. I think "sir" can extend to be gender-neutral if need be, and maybe "miss" can too. There may just not exist a gender-and-role-neutral address that is politer than "hey you".
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:54 pm

I realized after posting that male sub should very probably be sirrah; I was imagining it would be mister, but I think that works better as neutral.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:14 pm

I think "sirrah" is a little too archaic to sound right even if it would make sense, and if I go with "miss" as gender neutral sub it makes more sense if "mister" is male sub.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Moriwen » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:09 am

The logical choice for male subs would probably actually be "master," since that's the form of address for young boys in the same way "miss" is for young girls, but unfortunately that's really not going to work in this context.

Here in the southern US we actually have an established informal form of address (usually used by children towards unrelated adults they're very close to): "miss [firstname]" for women, "mister [firstname]" for men. That seems like it might translate well to a form of address for female and male subs, respectively? Maybe "mx. [firstname]" for a gender-neutral option?

If you go with that, you can then have miss/mr./mx. [lastname] as the role-neutral address, and ma'am/sir/[probably sir again] for the dom address.

If what you want is something you can say to a male sub whose name you don't know, maybe "boy"?
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!