Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Postby Kappa » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:48 pm

I too am curious about what led to there being a random cave joining Arizona with the Land of Hostile Megafauna and Rain.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Megafaunaland is a new place which has not been introduced before. A Mage Did It. (The tunnel, not the megafauana.)
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby pedromvilar » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 am

I would draw attention to this:

What Might Have Been: Incandescence wrote:III. Prospects

Stargate Ripoff:

One idea that was floated was doing a BDSM AU. You may have seen this in fanfic - worlds where practically everybody leans dom or sub, and these roles are layered on top of, in many cases replacing, gender roles. (I honestly came up with this principally because I love the worldbuilding intricacies that go into this kinda thing.) As an homage to the origins of this sort of thing in fanfic, the setting was going to also be a Stargate ripoff, although not outright Stargate (too military, haven't seen most of it, the aliens come with a lot of baggage, etc). There were going to be portals to other planets and people were gonna colonize them and the Bell would be a (dom) doctor and the Adarin a (sub) engineer on the same new colony. Dom!Bell walks around with a cane for... aesthetic purposes. (Bells can learn to use canes to help them walk, if they try it as teenagers or later, but it's a little tricky, it doesn't help immediately; she had the... aesthetic... incentive.) Large Space Wildlife of some kind was going to trap the Adarin in her clinic with her and they'd get to talking and eventually she'd tell him to meet her for lunch or something. Cute extremely possessive D/s relationship ensues. This Bell was going to have a (boy) Alex, who took one look at the BDSM AU conceit and said "can I just be asexual and nondynamic please", so he was going to be that, though he passes for a dom in public for social reasons. Other assignments: Zev is a dom, odd in being monosexual (it is customary for BDSM AUs to include Everyone Is Bi) but not odd in her monosexuality fixating on girls and perfectly typical in preferring subs (she isn't the BDSM AU version of gay, just regular gay). Charlie is a sub, Renée is a switch, Renée's second husband Phil is a dom.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:36 am

I assumed the mage was responsible for the deliciousness of the megafauna.

Also, is the tunnel actively magical?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:51 am

The tunnel is... sort of actively magical? *hand woggle* There is a distinction I can't quite articulate.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:23 pm

I thought the Stargatish aspects had been abandoned; was I mistaken it did you later decide to unabandon them?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:00 pm

...well, as you may have noticed, Sadde is on another planet...
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby pedromvilar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:10 pm

It was never abandoned, it was actually the eclipse part that was added on top of it because Alicorn wanted Sadde to have magic that allowed for gendershifting so the fact that Isabella is bi in this 'verse wouldn't be wasted.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby DanielH » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Is megafaunaland low-g, magic, or ignoring the square-cube law some other way? Giant flowers that look about like regular flowers shouldn’t be ordinarily possible I think. Same reason something that was shaped like an ant but as tall as you would snap its legs if it tried to stand up.

Square cube law has lots of other effects, some favoring megafauna, but this is one that needs working around to have car-sized flying birds and stuff.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:26 am

There are presumably underlying anatomical distinctions allowing the megafauna and the flowers and such.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!