Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Postby pedromvilar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:59 am

It appears Alicorn has stamped this thing Moriwen wrote about clothing canon so, for future reference :P
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby pedromvilar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:09 am

How do role-gay relationships (and, particularly, sex) even work? Do role-gay people take turns being the role-they're-not or?
pedromvilar

Postby Kappa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:14 am

Well, my characters' outwardly role-gay relationships tend to work via it actually being more complicated than that in some way. Not sure to what extent this generalizes, but the extent is probably some.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:36 am

Kappa wrote:Well, my characters' outwardly role-gay relationships tend to work via it actually being more complicated than that in some way. Not sure to what extent this generalizes, but the extent is probably some.

Could you gives us examples?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Kappa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:14 am

Well, for example, Aral's social role is dom and he is predominantly attracted to other people whose social role is also dom (I'm thinking of Ges and Cordelia here; not sure which way Jole would jump). In both cases this works out to something remarkably similar to the way they relate to each other outside of a BDSM AU, but with some of the Ges/Aral subtext made much more public and blatant: Ges spends most of his time ineffectually trying to dom Aral, who occasionally humours him; Aral and Cordelia are basically nondynamic together but may end up sort of lightly switchy once in a while.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:21 am

I read a BDSM AU fic once where a couple of doms were bound and determined to date and it wound up with both of them trying to aggressively look after the other's sexual needs by insisting they be allowed to act subby to turn their partners on until this eventually managed to result in orgasms. It sounded like an exhausting way to conduct an entire sex life but I was sold that it worked for them. Sub/sub sounds easier, they probably just do a lot of taking nonverbal hints about each other's interests as though they were commands.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby RoboticLIN » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:50 pm

IRC Discussion on Eclipse, since I read Moriwen's delightful clothing writing and had logged on. I copypasted what I said to here. (Paragraph breaks were due to other discussions, namely on tattoo decisions for a character if in Eclipse, and some one-line 'XD' responses/etc)

[16:01:29] <RoboticLIN> "Elaborate braided hairstyles are a very old-fashioned dom signal; basically no one wears them anymore, but if someone did you would definitely know what they were signalling." As in... If you have the time/help to do your hair that way, best be ordering people around
[16:01:45] <RoboticLIN> "Subs’ business wear, on the other hand, is supposed to conceal their collar, as a “my dating life is irrelevant here” subs’ lib thing: high collars for business formal, turtlenecks for business casual."
[16:01:52] <RoboticLIN> Turtlenecks and a collar?
[16:02:05] * RoboticLIN squirms in uncomfortableness
[16:02:32] <RoboticLIN> Like, a turtleneck would just broadcast "Oh hey theres a freaking huge thing on my neck here"

[16:03:11] <RoboticLIN> "Gloves are dom-coded, scarves are sub-coded. Good luck staying warm in the winter WOULDN’T IT BE AWFUL IF WE HAD DUMB RULES LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE oh wait."
[16:03:15] <RoboticLIN> Whaaaat.
[16:03:33] <RoboticLIN> Like, first of all, Subs already have a thing on their neck to keep them warm!
[16:03:53] <RoboticLIN> And doms have a place to warm their hands, /lewd

[16:04:01] <FacelessWork> RoboticLIN: won't collars get cold?
[16:04:09] <Moriwen> but yes winding a thing around your neck is OBVIOUSLY SUB
[16:04:19] <Moriwen> silly
[16:04:21] <RoboticLIN> Buy a Winter Collar with a fluffy inner pad :P
[16:04:33] <RoboticLIN> Collar+Scarf combo
[16:04:45] <RoboticLIN> I understand !!FASHION!! but
[16:05:03] <RoboticLIN> I'd personally say Doms have thin gloves, Subs have mittens (restrictive+warmer)
[16:05:17] <RoboticLIN> (So the cute ones can offer warm hands to be held :P)
[16:05:44] <RoboticLIN> Subs would have like... Light-collars (shows off the sub-collar and a bit of reinforcement warmth)
[16:05:55] <RoboticLIN> Doms would have the space for pretty bulky scarves :P

[16:06:44] <RoboticLIN> Branding -> Subs
[16:06:50] <RoboticLIN> Therefore bodymods -> Sub
[16:07:01] <RoboticLIN> I agree on that point.
[16:07:18] <RoboticLIN> Sailors usually choose to put anchors on themselves and it's "IM TOUGH"
[16:07:22] <RoboticLIN> So I also agree!

[16:08:05] <RoboticLIN> ... Give doms bulky scarves so their subs can try to cuddle into them to keep warm :P

[16:08:35] <Moriwen> I still think doms are likely to go like "can't wear scarf! too collar-like! scarves are a thing you tie subs up with!"

[16:08:45] <RoboticLIN> I see that.
[16:08:47] <RoboticLIN> But like...
[16:08:55] <RoboticLIN> "This scarf is 1ft thick of wool"
[16:09:05] <RoboticLIN> Therefore you can't have a collar with it on
[16:09:11] <RoboticLIN> Would be a dom-attempt Scarf.
[16:09:17] <Moriwen> Sure, yeah, Lin, it's like purses vs. man-bags.
[16:09:20] <RoboticLIN> Yeah.
[16:09:29] <Moriwen> If a dom really wants to wear something they'll figure out a sufficiently dommy version.

[16:13:00] <RoboticLIN> ... Watches on subs. Because they can't ask for the time, but their Dom can ask them.

[16:14:06] <RoboticLIN> "Hair dyed unnatural colors is dom-coded, probably because it’s more practical if you have short (dom-coded) hair." ... Because they have servants/hairdressers to do it for them...
[16:14:39] <RoboticLIN> "High heels of the could-kill-a-man-with-it variety can be a dom thing, but they’re something you might wear out clubbing on a Friday night, not to your aunt’s wedding." Are you aware of Ballet Boots? (Literally vertical-foot heels)
[16:15:03] <Moriwen> I was not. Ow. Those are distressing.
[16:15:11] <RoboticLIN> :P
[16:17:08] <Throne> oh. my god. ballet boots wtf.
[16:17:21] <RoboticLIN> Sooo yeah. Stillettos are man-killers + doms...
[16:17:38] <RoboticLIN> Ballet boots are ofc sub :P
[16:21:01] <RoboticLIN> "Belts are for obvious reasons strongly dom-coded, which is a classic complaint in subs’ rights circles. (”What are skinny subs even supposed to do??”)" Cloth belts? FITTING CLOTHES?!

[16:22:01] <RoboticLIN> ... Advances in the Garter-Belt technologies?

[16:22:55] <RoboticLIN> (I don't think Exhibitionism came up yet?)

[16:28:43] <FacelessWork> also, Garter-Belt technologies?
[16:30:31] <RoboticLIN> Garterbelts are the things that you attach stockings to (with the small little straps)
[16:31:00] <RoboticLIN> Perhaps it was researched and developed a garter-belt that acts like a belt.
---Chat being really quiet---
[16:34:59] <RoboticLIN> Fuuuutuuuuuure.
[16:35:19] <RoboticLIN> And Maaaaagiiiiiic.
[16:35:25] <FacelessWork> I am now picturing some kind of futurama style parody stuff
[16:35:38] <FacelessWork> like remote controlled force garter belts or something
[16:36:00] <RoboticLIN> ... We already have remote-controlled pantsing devices.
[16:36:07] <RoboticLIN> Expecially if it's voluntary.
[16:36:34] <FacelessWork> The future is now, and the future is weird
[16:36:57] <RoboticLIN> ... But Eclipse can have /mind powered pantsing devices/
[16:37:16] <FacelessWork> Wait, psions can interact with technology like that?
[16:38:01] <RoboticLIN> I dunno, don't think so, but they have mages that could presumably flick a switch via magic.
[16:38:49] <RoboticLIN> I don't remember much about Eclipse Magic besides Psion V Mage and virtuality... Been awhile and it's all smuuuuuuutty
[16:38:54] <FacelessWork> ah, that kind of mind powered
Aestrix is clearly the best person of all time, I worship the ground she walks on.
- Aestrix, upon adding her drawing to my avatar <3
RoboticLIN

Postby DanielH » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:23 pm

Psions can interact with technology somewhat; they are required for good VR. And Eclipse isn’t in the future, they just had a reason to research VR a lot more than we did; the most recent thread was in I think 2001?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby pedromvilar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:30 pm

pedromvilar

Postby DanielH » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Re: honor thy father

What the fuck?

My best guess on that is “a mage was messing around”. My second best guess is “a psion is deliberately messing with Sadde specifically”. My third is that none of that was real (dream sequence, a theme park and mildly hallucinating, etc). It’s only at my fourth guess that we get to an actual other world, which would ordinarily be higher on my list but this does not fit any other world I know about.

I repeat: what the fuck?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!