There should be a spoilery Glowfic thread

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

There should be a spoilery Glowfic thread

Postby DanielH » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:07 pm

The existing threads for Effulgence and other glowfic are in Storytime, and as such there is some tension when spoilery things are discussed. Somebody recently suggested creating this thread, so I did.

Inaugural discussion topic:
If Jane can stay up for more than a few consecutive months, eventually she will get around to resurrecting people the Peal knows about but have not explicitly resurrected or blacklisted. For example: the kids Nathan ate after turning, Tialle, the monks who created Soph, various Stark parents, etc. Are there any plans for how to handle this eventuality?

Relatedly, Aianon killed somebody who was researching immortality but got turned Dark by that research. Could they get back a version of him without that Darkness?

EDIT: Renamed (and adjusted first paragraph) for more generality
Last edited by DanielH on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: There should be a spoilery Effulgence thread

Postby Alicorn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:27 pm

The procedure in worlds with the most far-along resurrection handling procedures involve someone alive making a request, not Jane dumping everybody into the system. Stark parents are fairly unlikely to show up until Stark children are ready for them as long as there is anybody else left to handle whose children more actively desire their presence.

The interaction of dark taint a la Thilanushinyel and Downside is not yet established/explored.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:54 pm

I thought that was only for Alethia (where Jane doesn’t work) and for Origin-with-Jane-down. I suppose I missed the part where it became the standard; originally they were talking about Jane emptying the catacombs in order of most-recently-dead, in the hopes that everybody who wanted to could return to their old life as soon as they were killed. I guess the “request of the living” metric is good enough for the ones who can’t, at least for a while.

I’m still curious why Aianon hasn’t tried to get Tialle resurrected yet, but that’s no longer spoiler territory probably.

Instead:
Is there a Milan in the Effulgence Materia? I’m guessing not, but if there was the peal wouldn’t have noticed yet.
It’s implied that Callahan’s main reasons for ordering up a Bell and Joker were “shits” and “giggles”; were there any others? I can think of a few possibilities which nobody in-story seems to have thought of at all, but I think they are all collectively unlikely.
DanielH

Postby Kappa » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:00 pm

I'm intrigued to hear your theories.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:01 pm

Jane does also reverse new deaths as they come in, but that's a different matter than pulling Stark parents without requests.

They indeed would not have noticed Milan yet. (He is there, but we only decided this recently.)
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Other reasons somebody might order a Bell and a Joker:

They could be byproducts when for some reason she really wanted a Dominique, a Griffin, an Aril, a Pen, or later offspring. This seems unlikely because I would expect her to have made them capable of having kids without outside help and then not had them meat the Peal, and this seems to be within her control. On the other side, she might have wanted a Renée or Charlie or JokerDad and the easiest way was to get their kids; in that case, though, she probably wouldn’t care about the kid surviving college.

She wants to watch a Bell fail, and miscalculated. This is very unlikely given her conversation with Amariah.

Maybe Callahan just wants to be a mint/enchantress/whatever, and thinks the easiest way would be to invite the Peal into her world. This is again unlikely, because she seems to want Aether to turn interesting or do something interesting, but not impossible.

The characters considered that she might want some Belling done to metaphysics or to the universe’s inhabitants, but they weren’t having this conversation in full knowledge of Aether’s aura and Callahan’s abilities. Perhaps Callahan wanted to introduce a new player in Epic Level politics, without specifically wanting the Bell to cause destruction or kill a god (after all, Callahan can kill gods far better than Aether can). I don’t know enough about politics at the Epic Level to have a guess about why one might want this, but it’s probably more complicated than just whether any given god or other Epic has been killed yet.

The general theme throughout most of these is that one might want a Bell as a side effect, not for the purpose of having a Bell. Only the last one is about having a Bell for her own sake, and it was close to some things that have already been guessed.
DanielH

Postby Kappa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:08 am

Callahan's template-related decisions are somewhat complicated by the fact that we belatedly decided she threw in a Miles too, but Celo was more or less on the right track wrt this being a high-stakes assassination. The thing she wants to kill is the underlying anti-scienceness of Materia. Aether was her first shot, but in case that one broke down, she has Milan coming up next. (Aether is more directly aimed at doing the thing, because if she can do it at all she certainly will, by nature. Milan can work within the system much more easily, which means he's less likely to break down but also means he's less guaranteed to want to change things.)
Kappa

Postby Unbitwise » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Way back in the beginning, two suspicious-sounding events happened while Stella was traveling. I'm curious what the explanation for these was, whether there was some option planned or some appearing-in-the-future agency responsible for them or what.
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:46 pm

It was Libby, using her network of uninformed mundane individuals to spy on them.
Kappa

Postby Unbitwise » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:54 pm

That explains the nondescript Italian fellow, but the train? Stalling (ahem) for time, or trying to provoke them into doing something notable?
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Next

Return to Spoilerland!