Templates

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Templates

Postby Kappa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Spoilerboxing for images: I went through all the listed PBs who have journals for the listed character and aren't in the imgur album, and dug up icons for them

Icons
Chainsaw: David Boreanaz (see album);
Choi Siwon Image, Steven R. McQueen Image, Christian Bale Image

Joker: Heath Ledger, Elliot Knight, Rachel McAdams, Luke Broadlick, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Pana Hema Taylor, Tyler Posey (see album);
Rosario Dawson Image, Eddie Spears Image

JokerSherlock: Sebastian Stan, Willy Cartier (see album);
Rosario Dawson (no journals yet)

Kingfisher: Gillian Anderson (see album);
Alexa Davalos Image, Jensen Ackles Image, Anthony Stewart Head Image

Kolya: Zoe Saldana (under reconsideration);
Aldis Hodge Image

Lazarus: Lisa Edelstein (no journals yet);
Adrien Brody Image

Libby: Sophia Bush Image, Ellen Page Image, Annie Ilonzeh Image, Aeriel Miranda Image

Matilda: Arden Cho (no journals yet);
Jessica Brown Findlay Image, Mara Wilson Image

Miles: Sebastian Stan (see album)

Rayne: Crystal Reed, Tom Hiddleston (see album);
Robin Sachs (not in use);
Ian Somerhalder Image

Sherlock/Tony: Robert Downey Jr, Hayley Atwell, Lucy Liu (see album)

Steven: Santiago Cabrera, Luke Pasqualino (see album);
Aidan Turner (no journals yet)

Virginia: Gwyneth Paltrow Image, Molly Quinn Image
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Anya » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:29 pm

Is getting Lost a Pen template attractor, or would have that been something Glass would have picked up on?
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:51 pm

I wanted to ask the same thing about the grammar issues.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:58 pm

It's not an attractor, it's just a thing that puts Pen in arbitrary worlds. She gets Lost only once in Effulgence, but in a way that makes her portable.

The grammar issues are a Pen attractor and will be present in all Pens unless I can't justify it for some species or whatever.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 pm

I’m actually surprised the grammar issues were able to survive pentagoning languages. Does Samaria just speak English natively, and nobody tried to cheat at teaching her grammar, or are they unable to for some reason?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Pen learned Samarian the long way around and exhibited her grammar problem. Angela pentagoned her Edori (the cherubs all get Edori pentagoned, perhaps excepting Ariel who seems likely to have preferred learning it) and Pen continued to exhibit her grammar problem. This continued when she got English in preparation for entering the multiversal community. It is not a problem with vocabulary or even with knowing technical grammatical rules. If you sit Pen down and oblige her to quadruple-check every word in a sentence she uttered, she can eventually put it right, and she will hate you forever for making her try. This is more like solving the most frustrating Sudoku of all time than it is like talking: she cannot fluently generatively access grammatical rules. She understands the nuances that people convey with their grammatical choices just fine. Sometimes she gets things right by coincidence. She is more prone to some mistakes than others. It will appear in every language she tries to speak. And nobody knows exactly what's wrong with her and it doesn't impair her quite enough that her mommy is willing to apply magic to a disorder she doesn't understand and can't diagnose, in her eight-year-old daughter's brain.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:33 am

That sounds inconvenient. I apologize if this question is too personal, but I doubt it is (or I wouldn’t ask): did you base this disorder on any real thing, or did you make it up?

I’m trying to think of the various forms of panlinguism we’ve seen, and how they would interact with Pen. Obviously the Milliways translation effect doesn’t particularly help. Would Elcenian dragons, Barashin gods, Brilliance or otherdevices, or Incandescence Pantheon gods be able to understand her better than other people? I don’t see her hexing any of those language abilities helping her, though. Nonlinguistic kamai mindspeech seems like it would work perfectly ordinarily with her, though. Would anything else?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:47 am

I made it up. She isn't speaking a coherent idiolect; she is misspeaking the languages that she speaks; a Pantheon god can get the sense of meaning underlying words (whereas the other listed things just speak all the languages) and might have a leg up. Nonlinguistic kamai mindspeech would work on her just fine. She could also be understood significantly better, although not perfectly, by a Visitor fairy. She's going to develop an ingot power that circumvents her oddbrains, although they will remain in place when she doesn't use it.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:50 am

Ah yes, I think you mentioned the ingot power elsewhere, but I forgot it. She’s getting a bit old to be “going to” develop an ingot power, isn’t she? I guess she still has a year and a half if the “before age 10” limit is even a hard limit.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:06 pm

In Effulgence (and Lost Pen sandboxes, potentially) she will produce it at a dramatically appropriate moment TBD.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!