Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Kappa wrote:Sorceren! :D


New favorite word! :)
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
User avatar
Bluelantern
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:31 pm
Location: http://curiosity-discoverer-of-worlds.tumblr.com/
Pronouns: He, Him, His

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby Adelene » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Bluelantern wrote:
Kappa wrote:Sorceren! :D


New favorite word! :)


^^

Given 'wixen' it seemed like the obvious thing. :D
Utility Admin
User avatar
Adelene
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:18 pm
Pronouns: they

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby Shoal » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:06 am

Alicorn wrote:Leaving the plane instantly jettisons all of your momentum.


Is Kithabel going to find this out the hard way?
User avatar
Shoal
 
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Eos
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby Bluelantern » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:10 am

Shoal wrote:
Alicorn wrote:Leaving the plane instantly jettisons all of your momentum.


Is Kithabel going to find this out the hard way?


There is room for her not to? It sounds like the kind of thing that sets her back way too much. Granted, there is new magic avaiable, but nothing as good as sorcery

I wonder how sorcery interacts with the other magics, specially on stuff like making medalions.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
User avatar
Bluelantern
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:31 pm
Location: http://curiosity-discoverer-of-worlds.tumblr.com/
Pronouns: He, Him, His

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby DanielH » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:46 pm

I would expect they'd talk about the different magics over the mirror or during the first meeting, the question would come up (it was a relatively obvious question when I didn't have the prospect of losing several decades worth of work and needing to redo it hanging over my head every day; there's no way real sorceren wouldn't think of it), and somebody with only a day or two of momentum would test it.

Then, of course, because this is glowfic, some situation will come up requiring her to leave her plane. That might not be planned yet, but I bet it'll happen.

Would it be possible to cheat at the flying requirement by developing specialized TK momemtum? Obviously it would at best make you sorcerous in name only, but it still seems like a thing one could do if one wanted to fly more easily.
User avatar
DanielH
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:50 pm
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby Bluelantern » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:51 pm

DanielH wrote:I would expect they'd talk about the different magics over the mirror or during the first meeting, the question would come up (it was a relatively obvious question when I didn't have the prospect of losing several decades worth of work and needing to redo it hanging over my head every day; there's no way real sorceren wouldn't think of it), and somebody with only a day or two of momentum would test it.

Then, of course, because this is glowfic, some situation will come up requiring her to leave her plane. That might not be planned yet, but I bet it'll happen.

Would it be possible to cheat at the flying requirement by developing specialized TK momemtum? Obviously it would at best make you sorcerous in name only, but it still seems like a thing one could do if one wanted to fly more easily.


Alicorn has stated that she doesn't like to keep characterrs in a state where they can't recover, not sure if losing momentum counts, but it is sort of close?

I think that flying might require a kind of TK momemtum that is hard to train (moving something as heavy as a person for a long period with precision to be safe)
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
User avatar
Bluelantern
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:31 pm
Location: http://curiosity-discoverer-of-worlds.tumblr.com/
Pronouns: He, Him, His

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby DanielH » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:59 pm

I'd think that losing one form of magic (for a while but not permanently), while having others and while having access to many of the things she particularly wants that magic for (resurrections, flying, grace) might count. Obviously she'd take over with sorcery instead of otyer magic as soon as sje was able.

It seems like sorcery could help with, say, runecasting: it's only right and proper that the spell to discover new runes would tell me about a rune with a particular effect.
User avatar
DanielH
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:50 pm
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby Bluelantern » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:20 pm

DanielH wrote:I'd think that losing one form of magic (for a while but not permanently), while having others and while having access to many of the things she particularly wants that magic for (resurrections, flying, grace) might count. Obviously she'd take over with sorcery instead of otyer magic as soon as sje was able.


Yes, she would do it, but I think her pride would take a hit.

DanielH wrote:It seems like sorcery could help with, say, runecasting: it's only right and proper that the spell to discover new runes would tell me about a rune with a particular effect.


things being nice and proper is the best xD
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
User avatar
Bluelantern
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:31 pm
Location: http://curiosity-discoverer-of-worlds.tumblr.com/
Pronouns: He, Him, His

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby DanielH » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Does sorcery have a range limit or a weaker effect at range? That is, assuming you care the same amount, could you affect the weather on the other side of the world as well as you could the weather where you currently are?
User avatar
DanielH
 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:50 pm
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Momentum Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:53 pm

It's pretty unlikely that you'd care the same amount. It also matters how well you know what situation you're changing things away from, so stuff you can't see is harder. And yes, there is a weakening with range, but it's usually less operative than the first two factors.
User avatar
Alicorn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4226
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:44 pm
Location: The Belltower
Pronouns: She/her/hers

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests