Supplemental worldbuilding questions

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Supplemental worldbuilding questions

Postby DanielH » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:24 pm

How would you even move the whole god? I could see that working in the Fates world where there are holes large enough to put some of them, but not most anywhere else.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Lambda » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:42 pm

A human looks big to an ant, I don't see why just having a large body should make things qualitatively different.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:53 pm

A portal snake target is usually planetlike and planets can’t support just adding that much terrain. Failing that, the next most likely target is outer space probably, and the terrain part could survive isolated outer space even worse than a human (with the only exception I can think of being mountain gods).

Plus I feel sorry for all the inhabitants of the domain either coming with or falling to the mantle and dying, but that does not affect the plausibility. The plausibility argument is mostly that the demon did not eat the domain.
DanielH

Postby Aestrix » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Just the manifested form is transported by portal snake; each manifested form is its own body, even if it's connected to one consciousness.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:44 pm

So in Incandescence, Ice tells Cypress that if a witch pulls a dagger on him he can just tell her that he's flattered but taken. In this new thread, Amariah tells Sadde that "already married" isn't an acceptable excuse to not marry a witch. It makes sense, given the requisite mindset to even have a custom like that, and the stated excuses (any mortal should be honored to have a witch for a lover) that "already has a witch SO" would be considered a more valid defense than "already has a mortal SO." So I'm curious--does this extend to witches' sons? If you're a witch's son and an unfamiliar witch pulls a dagger on you, is "please discuss this with my mother and/or sister(s)" an acceptable defense?
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:47 pm

Well, "acceptable". She'll still be pissed off but it's possible self-preservation will win.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Ezra » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:11 pm

I don't remember if you've answered this somewhere, but are there trans witches? A world with transmasculine witches is interestingly different from one with transfeminine witches, or both or neither.
Ezra

Postby DanielH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:17 pm

In Effulgence and Incandescence, all witches are female, whatever organs they possess.
DanielH

Postby DanielH » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Does having dæmons interact with animal welfare movements? I would imagine it would: it creates a hard line for what counts as a Person, and animals are very clearly Not People. Now people argue about monkeys and dolphins, and to a lesser extent practically all animals, and even if some of those arguments are about interesting non-dæmon phenomena I don’t see them being as likely with dæmons.

On the other hand, if you want to enslave humans, it helps to argue that dæmons don’t make somebody a Person, so maybe that sticks around even after you get rid of human slavery? Or maybe bears, who are Clearly People, would confound this sociological effect. Hence my asking. How do dæmons affect animal welfare movements?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Not that much. As you point out humans aren't great to one another and bears exist. Daemons do make it easier to tell if an environment is (physically) comfortable for an animal, so that affects a few details about zoos and such.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!