Supplemental worldbuilding questions

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Supplemental worldbuilding questions

Postby DanielH » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:07 pm

So scientists in other worlds would eventually say “Wow, it look like paradox-free FTL travel is theoretically possible, but it requires this substance which doesn’t seem to exist and which would be impossible to synthesize”? Come to think of it, that’s the impression some general-audience science articles (example) are giving me about the real world, even though that doesn’t square with my limited knowledge of GR and QM..

Would this apply to Daevinity-style worlds too, and “not antimatter” is a simplification because Cam amd his author aren’t physicists? Or is there a different reason why they don’t have FTL, except for the effects of dismissing and summoning?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:15 pm

I have very little idea what scientists who study things like the feasibility of FTL do during business hours. I'm inclined to go more with, "experimental results from experiments that require dilithium crystals are necessary to make conceptual leaps sufficient to invent warp". Accordingly, a Daevinity demon exposed to the concept of dilithium could make it, a square wishcoin can conjure it, etc., but only in Warp(-family) worlds will anyone have discovered the stuff and gone on to do science to it in the first place.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:42 pm

...Okay, the existence of that article is pretty hilarious. I mean, it even calls it "warp drive"! And outright states that the main reason it's impossible is because the substances theoretically required to power it either don't exist or can't be obtained! XDDDDD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby cbhacking » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 am

Yeah, the Alcubierre drive is one of those things that makes me hopeful that, at some point (maybe even in my lifetime), humanity will develop practical interstellar capability. It's called a "warp drive" both because that's pretty much what it does - warp space around the ship, rather than moving the ship per se - and because that's something it's been called for the last couple decades (i.e. since its hypothetical invention). I don't know if Alcubierre used the term initially, but at this point I'm almost more surprised NASA *didn't* slap some other weird, technical name on a term that is in common usage otherwise (a common example: "EVA" or "Extra-Vehicular Activity" as opposed to the commonly used "spacewalk").

I am not actually sure that dilithium is technically required for warp - it's used in reaction control in the warp cores of Federation ships, but the actual warp drive is powered by the plasma produced, and Romulan warp drives aren't antimatter-based at all IIRC - but it makes sense from a story perspective. The only other thing that comes to mind is that "subspace" (what Star Trek warp drives, FTL "subspace" radio, and so on all use to bypass relativity) is specific to Warp-family worlds and just doesn't exist in the physics of other worlds... but then you can't revolutionize travel across the multiverse by importing the Warpfairy's tech. :-/
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby DanielH » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 am

The [url=arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0009013]original paper[/url] had “warp drive” in the title; that’s what the device was called since the 60s, well before Alcubierre came up with his equations. Of course, we could always assume this somehow doesn’t pan out (some physicists theorize that quantum mechanics would prevent it even though general relativity doesn’t), and in-universe warp is a similar idea you come up with when you have both this and unspecified “components” which might or might not be dilithium floating around.

Even if it does work, and kappa starts contributing to Effulgence from Alpha Centauri, you can say it didn’t work in the glowfic worlds.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:05 am

Dilithium was just what sprang to mind initially when I was talking to Alicorn about it, and I didn't even know for sure that it was warp-related, just that it was a Star Trek substance of some kind. There might be multiple ways to invent and construct a warp drive of which all rely on substances that only naturally occur in Warp 'verses. I don't think we're likely to make a firm determination about it until someone starts nerding about it in-character and we need to know.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Runecasting is from Skindeep canon or your people own invention?
Also, runecasting can do things related to fertility or "cursing your first five children to be crossbreeds"?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Aestrix » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Runecasting was our own invention, in Skindeep canon magic isn't explained at all besides being 'volatile.'
Aestrix

Postby Bluelantern » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:15 pm

Aestrix wrote:Runecasting was our own invention, in Skindeep canon magic isn't explained at all besides being 'volatile.'

No word on the fertility/curse thing?

I am bored and without anything to do, so I thinking of characters alts that I will never use, because that is a totally productive thing to do with my time.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Aestrix » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:31 pm

It might be possible, but we haven't talked about it at all, so I'm not confirming or denying its existence. I'm tricksy like that.
Aestrix

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!