Questions about Visitor

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Questions about Visitor

Postby DanielH » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:06 am

Of course, but I was imagining there might be times when you and a coauthor disagreed on what an exact wording meant, or you disagreed on the presence of a loophole, or something.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:01 pm

In those cases what's happening tends to be "we edit the wording till we agree or do whatever's plotty".
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:35 pm

If a random fairy were to pick a haw from Promise’s tree and hand-feed it to a mortal, I assume that the mortal would become the vassal of both that fairy and Promise even though hand-feeding is usually safe? Could they feed it to one of their masters assuming that master had no vassal relation with Promise?

Does one fairy hand-feeding another fairy vassalize them if there’s nothing special about the food, or does the fairy food usually being safe heuristic win there?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Hand-feeding overrides even the haw. Might not override a berrybush.

Fairy food is usually safe for fairies even if handfed.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby AndaisQ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:46 am

How does plainspeaking handle magical languages? Specifically I'm thinking of the Correspondence from Fallen London, which is partly expressed through light and flame when spoken, can be used as a weapon, and when written down violently combusts and causes physical and mental damage to those who read it. Naively I'd think that fairies could understand it, couldn't speak it (or couldn't weaponize it at least), couldn't write it without the same letter-tracing workarounds as for other languages, and wouldn't suffer damage from reading it; thoughts?

(Same question goes for dragons, if I shouldn't just make a separate post in the Elcenia discussion thread.)
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby DanielH » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 am

I would expect them to be hurt by reading it, depending on details of how the language hurts you, but obviously not to the point of death.

Don’t tell a Daevinity Earth about the language or they’ll have to gag all daeva
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:52 am

I am not familiar with the Correspondence but I think fairies would interpret that as code, not a language (that is to say, even more of a code than they already find language). They'd probably suffer damage from reading it as normal.

Plainspeaking interacts fine with Draconic. Fairy speaks plain, dragon hears Draconic, dragon speaks Draconic, fairy hears "you know, words, why is this so interesting, it's all just words". Draconic is magical but not, like, imperturbable.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby pedromvilar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 am

I think he meant to ask how Draconic and magic languages like Correspondence interact, not plain + Draconic?
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby DanielH » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Could a fairy who was interested in these weird codes mortals use in place of just plain words learn the Speech?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Draconic doesn't crack code either.

Fairies can learn languages if they like.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!