Canons List

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Canons List

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Alicorn wrote:Can I crossover/mashup the settings or is that cheating?

You mean like that one combination of Avatar and MLP? Or stuff like Eos with has mostly original material but the magic coins are based on that book?

I am okay with stuff like Eos and stuff that is a variation of a canon (like Phaeton)... I feel that mashups are okay-ish... if you really find that combination interesting I don't mind... if you are only combining those two settings because you want them to show up... maybe you could add a "honorable mention" beyond the 10?

Edit: To make it clear, it is completely okay to list something like Potter + MLP mashup if you do like the idea by itself.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Lambda » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:00 pm

My intuition is that a mashup or crossover should count as one setting, but a separate one from its components. So e.g. Peace is one setting, but Peace, X-Men, and Ender's Game are three settings.

I have no idea how to count things like "Barashi in 1000BY". (Is Barashi in 1000BY a separate setting from Barashi in 10000BY? Is Barashi in 24867BY a separate setting from Elcenia in 11250EY? Do Barashi and Elcenia become a single setting when Rhysel is summoned? When the summoning circle is installed?)

(Are Aurum and Eos a single setting? What about post-pealing Aurum and post-pealing Eos? Post-pealing Eos and post-pealing Origin? Luminosity/Radiance and post-pealing Aurum?)
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Alicorn » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Yeah, the timeline question is also very important...
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:16 pm

My criteria is what being valued

If she adding Peace, because she values Peace as a whole, than it is fine by me

If she is adding Peace, because cant decide between Xmen or Enders game and wants them featured somehow no matter if they are mashed up or not, than it is not.

I am assuming pre-pealing, albeit I would be willing to count Barashin-Elcenia as a single entity in a metacasual sense (single fictional continuum)... Not sure about the time periods, but it can go as Alicorn pleases (if she wants to treat different periods as different settings she can, but she could merge them)
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

As good a place to ask as any

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Are you planning on adapting Mirror Dance and the later books into Nexus? I'm halfway through Memory and it seems like Jokerlock!Mark is unlikely to cause the clusterfuck that is the events of Mirror Dance, and that would pretty drastically alter the future course of Miles's life.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Kappa » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:41 pm

My Mark is not going to act the way canon Mark does, but that doesn't mean he's not going to have some of the same effects. It'll just be more "very nearly pull off a thing that should by rights be impossible" than "attempt to do an impossible thing and fuck it up royally".
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:38 pm

I'll look forward to it.
Tangentially, it's a damn shame "unprecedented" is taken as a username for potential future Miles accounts. Though "i_am_unprecedented" is open. (I really liked the tail end of Memory.)
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Kappa » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:29 am

I forget the exact context of that line - remind me?
Kappa

Postby Paradox » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:52 pm

It's when he's informing Aral that he has been appointed Imperial Auditor and is the first Vorkosigan to ever hold the post (Aral responds by saying that the fact that he is unprecedented is not news).

edit: the full quote in context:
"I don’t think so." Miles’s eyes narrowed in a brief moment of introspection. His new calmness was still there, inside, but it did not feel at all weary. Quite the opposite. "It’s just taking another direction. Vorhovis tells me I’m the youngest Imperial Auditor since the Time of Isolation. It’s not a post you ever held, I understand."
"No. I missed that one, somehow. Your grandfather never held it, either. Nor your great-grandfather. In fact... I’ll have to look it up, but I don’t think any Count or Lord Vorkosigan has ever been an Auditor."
"I did. None has. I’m the first in the family," Miles informed him smugly. "I am unprecedented."
The Count smiled. "This is not news, Miles."
Paradox

Pronouns: whatever you want

Postby Kappa » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:58 pm

*snickers* Oh Miles. <3
Kappa

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!