Canons List

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Canons List

Postby Alicorn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:52 pm

By request.

Effulgence Worlds:

Alethia - Canon is His Dark Materials, with tweaks, canon events are obviated.
Alucine - Original invention.
Arceus - Canon is the Pokémon game and anime franchise; canon events obviated.
Atlantis - Canon is the Hunger Games, with our events set a little before the first book.
Aurum - Canon is Luminosity for which canon is Twilight, canon events supplanted.
Avalon - Canon is the Wings series by Aprilynne Pike, canon events obviated.
Cape - Canon is Worm, canon events supplanted.
Cenozoia - Canon is the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate, canon events supplanted.
Chronicle - Canon is the Enchanted Forest Chronicles series by Patricia C. Wrede, our events about a century after Talking to Dragons.
Circle - Canon is the Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce, set about a hundred years after canon events.
Cosel - Original invention.
Downside - A kappa import.
Edda - See "Yggdrasil".
Eos - Effectively original, magic system inspired by "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor.
Equestria - Canon is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, canon events supplanted.
Everlasting - Canon is Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt, canon events supplanted.
Fantasia (Unnamed world, Raven's) - Canon is the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, set almost immediately after canon events. Also draws from Inverarity's Alexandra Quick series (for Americanization and some Fantasia plot elements), Homestuck (heavily revised, for some Fantasia worldbuilding elements) and HPMoR (for some feats of magical derring-do).
Garden - Canon is the movie "Tangled", canon events supplanted.
Gift - Original invention.
Guardian - Fusion of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein with a random fanfic I can't find anymore about guardian angels. Canon relationship undecided.
Lake - Plot canon is a twist on "Swan Lake"; world is original.
Materia - Canon is Tales of MU by Alexandra Erin, our events about ten years after canon and thoroughly ignoring the possibility that canon will have results significant to our characters ten years along.
Milliways - Original inspiration from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Use as found in glowfic is conventional for a parent genre of journal-based RP.
Names - Canon is my short story Visitor, with tweaks, canon events obviated.
Narnia - Canon is the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, set after Magician's Nephew and supplanting other canon events.
Nexus - Canon is the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, canon events tracked/tweaked/embellished.
Opportunity - Original invention.
Origin (Q, Ghosts, Cindy's world, Dozen, Doyle) - Canon is the Dark Knight movie trilogy, with Batman genderswapped in most cases. Events in Origin pick up between the second and third movies and in Cindy's world during movie 3; the timeline in Q and Ghosts has been uninvestigated so far, and Dozen and Doyle were both interrupted by kidnappings of young Jokers. Doyle is so called because it also harbored Strat when he was being Sherlock Holmes and therefore takes that as canon as well.
Oz - Canon is the Oz series by L. Frank Baum, canon relationship undecided.
Pacifica - Canon is the movie Pacific Rim, canon events supplanted.
Peace - Fusion of Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) and X-Men. Events of Ender's Game supplanted, events of X-Men continuity-insofar-as-we-understand-it-without-research loosely implied in modified form.
Quinn - Canon is the Elemental Blessings series by Sharon Shinn, set before canon events.
Rainbow - Canon is Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, canon events cherry-picked and thin on the ground.
Rewind - Canon is Puella Magi Madoka Magica, canon relationship... complicated.
Rêverie - Plot canon is a nonspecific understanding of "Beauty and the Beast"; world is original.
Samaria - Canon is Sharon Shinn's angel series, set a little after Jovah's Angel.
Spirit (world possibly to be renamed) - Canon is Avatar the Last Airbender, with our events set about four centuries after Legend of Korra.
Sunshine (Phaeton, Apollo, Helios) - Canon is Buffy the Vampire Slayer, canon events supplanted (Sunshine) or obviated (others).
Superluminal - Fusion of Vorkosigan Saga and Skin Deep, Vorkosigan canon events tracked/tweaked/embellished and Skin Deep canon events obviated.
Syntropy - Canon is the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane, ignoring canon events.
Tayane - Original invention.
Thalassa - Plot canon is loosely "The Little Mermaid"; world is original.
Thilanushinyel - Canon is the antirecommended trilogy-pair Obsidian & Enduring Flame by Mercedes Lackey, with our events about a thousand years after the last book.
Unnamed world (Summer's) - Plot canon is the fairy tale "The Snow Queen"; world is original.
Warp - Canon is Star Trek (the rebootverse, with generous inspiration drawn from other series), set about a decade after the 2009 film and largely obviating the events of Into Darkness.
Yggdrasil, Edda - Canon is the Marvel Cinematic Universe; Edda also borrows the His Dark Materials concept of daemons. Edda supplants some canon events which Yggdrasil takes as read.

Incandescence Worlds:

Chamomile - See "Alethia" in the Effulgence section. Tweaks differ.
Cycle - Original invention.
Gemini - Original invention.
Greenhouse - See "Avalon" in the Effulgence section.
Hex - Original invention.
Inferno - Original invention.
Kystle (New Kystle) - An Aestrix import.
Medallion - Canon is Skin Deep, canon events obviated.
Pantheon - An Aestrix import.
Quartet - Original invention, partially pivoted from an unrealized Effulgence concept.
Ravel - Original invention.
Tayane - Original invention, forked from Effulgence.
Treasury - Original invention.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Canons List

Postby Kappa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:00 pm

I found that fic

For more information on the exact parts of Homestuck drawn on and revised for Fantasia, see here
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Oooh, I actually wanted this list... I wanted to "template" Glowfic characters and OCs for fun (maybe I will make a thread about it?)
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Kappa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:12 pm

This post was originally posted in this thread, and then spawned a side conversation of a bunch of people ambivalently shit-talking Mercedes Lackey, which Alicorn moved here. Please go there if you want to respond to it. I am duplicating the post because I still want it to appear in this thread.

Also, regarding the antirecommendation of the Obsidian/Enduring Flame trilogies: If you like Mercedes Lackey, they are pretty damn good Mercedes Lackey. If you don't like Mercedes Lackey, they are like unto a literary form of torture. Alicorn falls into the latter category; I'm closer to the former. If you don't know if you like Mercedes Lackey, it probably isn't worth reading the books to find out.
Kappa

Postby MTC » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:26 am

I’d like to ask about how some of the Effulgence worlds are related to or borrow details of characters’ pasts from older Kappa RPs, but there have been posts before about not wanting those linked (the older RPing I’m thinking of is publicly visible but only obscurely findable), so I’m not sure how specific I’d be allowed to be… or maybe I’m just being unnecessarily cautious. Kappa?
MTC

Pronouns: male

Postby Kappa » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:42 am

Feel free to PM me with detailed queries, or ask on the forum using spoiler tags and a moderate amount of vaguing-up and not linking the things.

As an overview of some related things, though:

The Effulgence versions of Tony and Sherlock originate from a fic I wrote (called Lake of Sky) that never got off the ground, which was meant to serve as backstory for a bunch of different RPs, which then in turn spawned some fics in which Sherlocks turned into Minuses through various means and in some cases with an alternate backstory. Sunshine and Apollo follow the Lake of Sky/Softer at the Edges backstory, while Helios and Phaeton follow the Refractive Index/Looking Glass backstory in which Tony and Sherlock never move to Sunnydale. (Refractive Index is the Minus story; Softer at the Edges is the Plus story; Looking Glass is the only one of all these fics that I actually finished and is a rather depressing Everyone Dies And It's All Obie's Fault story.)

Lake of Sky was actually initially an AU spinoff of another never-finished fic called Butterflies and Opiates in which a time travel accident lands the RDJ Sherlock Holmes and his Watson in the RDJ Tony Stark's basement, and they meet House and Wilson from House via shenanigans involving House kidnapping Tony. And then all of these people have a lot of sex. I never got around to writing the part with all the sex, but I was delighted enough by Tony/Sherlock to want a Sunnydale AU of it back when Sunnydale AUs were going around the sandbox RP community I was a part of.
Kappa

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:48 am

I was always curious how Tony/Sherlock got started sexually.

Alicorn, out of curiosity... in a hypothetical situation where you could only use 10 settings which settings would you pick?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Alicorn » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 am

What exactly is constraining me to ten settings in this hypothetical...?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:24 am

The Bells ran experiments with me and Jokers, verified them with you, and concluded that if you write any more universes than that you'll start influencing real events again. Ten is your limit to remain fictional. XD
Kappa

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:17 am

I was going to say that humans tend to use lists of 10 because of ours fingers and that a limited selection should wield interesting/varied results...
Kappa wrote:The Bells ran experiments with me and Jokers, verified them with you, and concluded that if you write any more universes than that you'll start influencing real events again. Ten is your limit to remain fictional. XD

That assumes she wants the events to remain fictional, instead the logical thing to do, is take this as a challenge from the Great Tetical, the Hippopotamus of the Hypothetical Wonders, one that you can't dismiss.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Next

Return to Spoilerland!