Crowning Moments in Glowfic

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Crowning Moments in Glowfic

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Paradox wrote:
Bluelantern wrote:
Kappa wrote:Kas and Petaal separating has got to be an Awesome.

Added. I would like to note that I have terrible memory, but indeed that was awesome xD

That could also fit on the tearjerker page, it's the cause of all the times I've cried reading effulgence

I added it to the tearjerker and nightmare fuel pages.

We really should expect daemon touching in glowfics, shouldn't we?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Kappa » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:50 pm

Someone who isn't me, because I can't even figure out how to edit the pages at all, should go through all these entries and edit them so that somebody who hasn't read the glowfic will have a hope in hell of understanding them. XD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby anthusiasm » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:54 pm

If we're talking Tearjerkers, I think the scene with Sue and that-one-asshole-whose-name-I-don't-want-to-bother-remembering most definitely qualifies.

I mean, we all know what happens to Jokers, but this is one of the few times we get to see it up close and personal, and it's probably one of the more upsetting things that we see happen in person.

Oh, and speaking of Extremely Upsetting Things, the Shell Bell thing should DEFINITELY be under Nightmare Fuel. I would put the Etty and Sarion things there too.
anthusiasm

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:55 pm

I love how "what happens to Jokers" is a phrase with that specific meaning. XD
Kappa

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Kappa wrote:Someone who isn't me, because I can't even figure out how to edit the pages at all, should go through all these entries and edit them so that somebody who hasn't read the glowfic will have a hope in hell of understanding them. XD

I sort assumed that you are supposed to be a little vague? but nothing that can't be fixed.

Do you guys know if you need to put content warnings on tvtropes pages?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Tulip » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Kappa wrote:Someone who isn't me, because I can't even figure out how to edit the pages at all, should go through all these entries and edit them so that somebody who hasn't read the glowfic will have a hope in hell of understanding them. XD

...Is that even possible? :p
Bluelantern wrote:Do you guys know if you need to put content warnings on tvtropes pages?

I've never seen anything to indicate that it's a custom on the site, except when posting external links to places which don't have their own content warnings.
Tulip

Postby Kappa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 am

Yes, I think it is possible. One of my favourite things about TVT used to be going on the Awesome/etc pages for things I had never consumed and reading the cool stuff that happened; I could not currently do that as a non-glowfic-reader on the glowfic pages, but I don't think it would be that hard to provide minimum context for some of the entries.

Like, take the Awesome page...

Boxed for length - rewrite of the Awesome page
Effulgence Continuity
  • Stella manages to be pretty helpful to Alice before they even discover magic, and she helps him get his dad convicted of child abuse and jailed for life.
  • After they discover magic, she terraforms Mars and founds the Empire of the Stars there.
  • In Alethia (the Effulgence port of His Dark Materials), separating from one's daemon is an agonizing ordeal that sometimes takes several tries, and the daemon is usually the one who has the hardest time with it; traditional separation requires the human to walk across a barren wasteland that the daemon is physically incapable of entering, because otherwise it would be too hard for the daemon to cooperate. Kas and his daemon Petaal are especially close, rarely even straying out of arm's reach because of the strength of their connection. When they have to separate to rescue Amariah's daemon from horrible torture, Petaal jumps on her flying tree branch and bolts away from Kas at top speed without a second thought.
  • Sue and Aegis are tasked with commanding humanity's counterattack against the incomprehensible insectoid aliens who invaded Earth twice. When their fleet reaches the buggers' home planet, Sue decides that rather than kill them all, he's going to try diplomacy. It works, despite considerable resistance from the human high command.
  • Rose's husband Beast gets kidnapped by a strangely possessive rival enchanter whose magic is slowly destroying Beast's mind. She takes him on in her first ever sorcerous battle, and wins.
  • T'Mir has a litle program that calculates how many lives she has saved by distributing technological advances to prewarp civilizations. That number is very, very large.
  • In Fantasia, it's possible to kill a Dementor. Learning the right spell virtually requires a Crowning Moment of Awesome. So far, Phoenix and Feral have both done it.
  • Sometimes, a group of Bells comes together to take over an improperly run afterlife. The first time this happened was a little anticlimactic; they went in with wishcoins blazing, discovered that the resident hell goddess was omnipotent and they had no hope of opposing her, then discovered that she didn't care very much about the existing political system in her domain and was perfectly happy to let them take over if they could come up with a functioning alternative. The second time, seeking a solution to the problems of the Alethia afterlife, Amariah killed the Voice of God in single combat.

Incandescent Continuity
  • Zeviana Nimah and her daemon Lecasryn manage to separate without anything to restrain Lecasryn, or even an immediate crisis to motivate them. They just get it done.
  • Flicker and Conduit's estimates of their respective total lives saved in the Gemini evacuation: Over one million with Flicker's teleportation, over three million with Conduit's portals. Both of them shorted themselves on sleep during the evacuation period so they could spend more time helping. Both of them stayed in the danger zone until the very last second that they could conceivably be helpful, saving as many people as possible before they had to quit.
Kappa

Postby Tulip » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 am

Huh, you're right, that is way more readable. I'm having weird network issues blocking me from tvtropes right now, so I can't edit it in myself, but if you want to, the edit button is on the bottom row of those blue buttons which appear at the top of every page. (Are they still consistently blue on non-Main namespaces? I forget. But the buttons which are blue in the Main namespace.)
Tulip

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:27 am

Kappa wrote:Yes, I think it is possible. One of my favourite things about TVT used to be going on the Awesome/etc pages for things I had never consumed and reading the cool stuff that happened; I could not currently do that as a non-glowfic-reader on the glowfic pages, but I don't think it would be that hard to provide minimum context for some of the entries.

Like, take the Awesome page...

Boxed for length - rewrite of the Awesome page
Effulgence Continuity
  • Stella manages to be pretty helpful to Alice before they even discover magic, and she helps him get his dad convicted of child abuse and jailed for life.
  • After they discover magic, she terraforms Mars and founds the Empire of the Stars there.
  • In Alethia (the Effulgence port of His Dark Materials), separating from one's daemon is an agonizing ordeal that sometimes takes several tries, and the daemon is usually the one who has the hardest time with it; traditional separation requires the human to walk across a barren wasteland that the daemon is physically incapable of entering, because otherwise it would be too hard for the daemon to cooperate. Kas and his daemon Petaal are especially close, rarely even straying out of arm's reach because of the strength of their connection. When they have to separate to rescue Amariah's daemon from horrible torture, Petaal jumps on her flying tree branch and bolts away from Kas at top speed without a second thought.
  • Sue and Aegis are tasked with commanding humanity's counterattack against the incomprehensible insectoid aliens who invaded Earth twice. When their fleet reaches the buggers' home planet, Sue decides that rather than kill them all, he's going to try diplomacy. It works, despite considerable resistance from the human high command.
  • Rose's husband Beast gets kidnapped by a strangely possessive rival enchanter whose magic is slowly destroying Beast's mind. She takes him on in her first ever sorcerous battle, and wins.
  • T'Mir has a litle program that calculates how many lives she has saved by distributing technological advances to prewarp civilizations. That number is very, very large.
  • In Fantasia, it's possible to kill a Dementor. Learning the right spell virtually requires a Crowning Moment of Awesome. So far, Phoenix and Feral have both done it.
  • Sometimes, a group of Bells comes together to take over an improperly run afterlife. The first time this happened was a little anticlimactic; they went in with wishcoins blazing, discovered that the resident hell goddess was omnipotent and they had no hope of opposing her, then discovered that she didn't care very much about the existing political system in her domain and was perfectly happy to let them take over if they could come up with a functioning alternative. The second time, seeking a solution to the problems of the Alethia afterlife, Amariah killed the Voice of God in single combat.

Incandescent Continuity
  • Zeviana Nimah and her daemon Lecasryn manage to separate without anything to restrain Lecasryn, or even an immediate crisis to motivate them. They just get it done.
  • Flicker and Conduit's estimates of their respective total lives saved in the Gemini evacuation: Over one million with Flicker's teleportation, over three million with Conduit's portals. Both of them shorted themselves on sleep during the evacuation period so they could spend more time helping. Both of them stayed in the danger zone until the very last second that they could conceivably be helpful, saving as many people as possible before they had to quit.

Updated the awesome page. That is far better, thanks :D
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby thebutcher » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Promise Making it as soon as she's born. And fulfilling it when she meets the Admin.
thebutcher

Pronouns: he

Previous

Return to Spoilerland!