Treasury Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Treasury Worldbuilding Info

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 pm

Kappa wrote:My favourite and best developed so far is a thing that gives you near-immortalizing levels of personal autohealing, maybe even usable on others at will, at the cost of increasing the depth of your pain processing so that the experience of a papercut is comparable to what having the entire surface of one hand shredded would have been like before, and all other pains are proportionally increased in subjective severity

No wonders the jokers live inside your head.

I also having artifacts ideas, the only notable one is a summer hat that gives all kind of vaguely-related to weather invulnerabilities (immunity to eletricity, heat, light, pressure and cold) but the side effect is the person being forced to pick up flowers, even pictures of flowers.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Tamien » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:03 am

I would poke the necklace and the horn, but probably none of the other canon artifacts. The most likely third is the comb, but circumstances would have to make the drawback much more worth it. I would poke the Joker artifacts. The healing/pain one would give me the most pause, I think, but would probably still be worth it. I would not poke the flower-hat.

It occurs to me that artifacts are kindof like one-off instances of channels in Adelene's Channeled Deity system.

Twice-cherished artifacts is a fantastic idea and I wish I had come up with it myself. I hope we see twice-cherished artifacts in Treasury. I hope we see an artifact which was passed down as a dynastic heirloom, molded and treasured over many generations, which has had artifact-status layered onto it several times over.

Herein lies lengthy and questionably relevant rambling about what sort of artifacts I might leave behind if I died in Treasury
I do not really make characters, but if I myself were to die and leave behind an artifact, I think I might leave behind any of:
  • a small golden sun pendant suspended from a delicate gold chain
  • a small, brightly painted wooden chest
  • a leather-bound journal with a tree tooled on the front
  • a wooden harp
  • a gold coin
  • a plastic plate with a drawing of Buster Keaton on it
  • a bouquet of dried roses (though this may be too plural?)
  • a small memorial service pamphlet
Possible main effects having to do with my personality:
  1. ability to remember and repeat any speech or song verbatim
  2. ability to accurately draw anything you can clearly visualize
  3. ability to understand any communicative intent behind someone's actions (kindof like Pantheon God listening?)
  4. an ability to perfectly convey exactly what you mean (maybe in the form of expressive tele(m)pathy or maybe just in words)
  5. an intuitive understanding of what is necessary in order for people around you to feel comfortable and accepted
  6. the ability to fly
  7. perfect awareness and control over your own emotional state
  8. the ability to resurrect the dead
Possible side effects having to do with my personality:
  1. extreme attention deficit (difficulty with self-control, motivation, prioritization, space/time perception, remembering things which are not physically in front of you and actively demanding your attention, etc)
  2. inability to identify/understand/hold strong feelings about where one's own social boundaries are/should be (shamelessness, difficulty identifying when others are treating you inappropriately, failure to become upset with others for treating you improperly, etc)
  3. compulsive nosiness about other people's private lives (kindof like Allirea with names or Jessica's general nosiness)
  4. compulsive need to provide the full context needed for someone to understand anything you say
  5. phobia of being in control of a moving vehicle
  6. the tendency for things you discover to be true about yourself to fail to be true any longer once you outwardly express the realization
  7. the tendency to believe your Favorite People's models of you rather than your own model of yourself
  8. extreme dyscalculia (complete inability to do any math)
Tentatively, I would group these into artifacts as follows:
  • 7f for the necklace
  • 5b for the chest
  • 4d for the journal
  • 1c for the harp
  • 6e for the coin
  • 2a for the plate
  • 3g for the roses
  • 8h for the pamphlet
All except the last item on each list is in no particular order. The pamphlet came to me as all one thing. I grouped traits into artifacts roughly by what seems to fit together to me. Actual artifacts probably work more randomly.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:12 am

Likewise rambling about my artifact output
My personal Resurrection Stone would be a copy of Love You Forever by that guy who wrote illustrated children's books, and it might come with the ability to instantiate any person, even imaginary ones. The drawback would be either intense social anxiety that only rears its head when dealing with situations involving phones or potentially confusing/weirding out strangers, or intense chronic fatigue.

Depending on how long it can be between losing or putting away the cherished object and dying, I might also leave behind a beat-up black leather handbag/purse. I've been cherishing my current bag for much less time than I spent with that one. And a Nintendo 64 and a copy of Majora's Mask, those are still current. But I dunno what any of them would do. Mint people? Give people a version of Sandy's ingot power that works for daydreaming? I bet I could throw aphasia as a drawback; my version would be intermittent inability to organize verbal sounds into speech or words into sentences. Or very bad nearsightedness. Or inability to process auditory information into words. I have so many drawbacks if you just take my problems and exaggerate some of them XD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Adelene » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 am

I find the idea of cherishing objects kind of confusing, so I'm probably not capable of leaving an artifact, but if it was 'every death has a chance of leaving an artifact made from that person's most-liked object' rather than 'must like object this much to ride' mine would be my cane, with a primary effect of being able to see peoples' personalities (including your own) as a synesthetic overlay and the secondary effect being aphasia of nouns.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Marri » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:49 am

Mine... would almost certainly be my laptop. Possibly jewelry? I have a birthstone ring from my grandmother that might work? But- laptop <3
Marri

Postby Kappa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:09 am

Oh, yeah, my tablet too. Definitely.
Kappa

Postby Alicorn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:06 pm

While this mostly doesn't come up in Treasury itself because of 1970s tech, I feel like while many people are very attached to having a computing machine, they are not attached to them in the right way - laptops and tablets are too replaceable/upgradeable.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:17 pm

I totally get really attached to my individual computing devices. Less so to desktops, but I named both the laptops I have owned, and decorated them with stickers and hugged them and petted them and complained with variable fondness about their weird quirks. I have a similar relationship to my tablet except it doesn't have a name, just "my gadget".
Kappa

Postby Tamien » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 pm

I omitted my computer because of the reasons specified - I do get attached to objects, but I don't typically get attached to my computers individually (even though I do build them from their component parts and name them). I'm just replacing and upgrading them too much for them to become treasured the way certain other trinkets of mine are treasured.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 pm

Debbie downer talk incoming:

I have a unhealthy inability to get attached, I really doubt that in my entire life there was a object cherised enough, so I want to know, how much "cherised" involves straight up happiness? un-happy attachment counts?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!