Treasury Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Treasury Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:06 pm

The university doesn't own the trackers; trackers can go track artifacts elsewhere.

Telepathy is always-on, invisibility is at-will.

Artifacts are not that common. The Dean of Analysis is not usually working on one on any given day.

Naming things, treating them like they're already artifacts, etc. has no effect. People cannot deliberately shape the effects.

Annie doesn't cherish any individual objects enough to make a thing.

Artifacts will continue to be artifacts if resurrection enters the picture, no problem. Repeated deaths have independent (low) chances of making artifacts, though the sort of person who is really attached to stuff will tend to continue to be that sort of person. Turning into a Twivamp wouldn't count, but turning into a Sunnyvamp would.

The university is probably quietly on the lookout for someone who wants to sleep a whole fuck of a lot and work on mitigating the harp, but hasn't found anyone they want to put on that job.

Twice-cherished artifacts is an interesting idea...
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 pm

...Okay, my desire to put purple templates in a Treasury world has now increased significantly. But not Effulgence. I want somewhere that resurrection is a thing, and there isn't a whole lot of magic to go around in the multiverse - roughly like Incandescence - perhaps Resplendence, if we ever start interlocking those and come up with a resurrection mechanism roughly akin to Incandescence's - and I want a Rayne being a tracker, and I want a Joker deciding once the multiverse comes knocking with resurrection in hand that the most fun thing he can do with the next few years is to start cherishing a lot of objects and then die and be resurrected over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. :D :D :D

Actually, that brings up an interesting related point - is it people who are from Treasury dying, or people dying in Treasury, or some other specific condition that makes artifacts occur?
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Oraanu » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Was the Golden Knife originally the cherished object of a Chelsea? Not sure why she would have / cherish a gaudy golden knife, but it certainly seems like the sort of thing she might leave behind, power-wise.
Oraanu

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Twice-cherished artifacts is an interesting idea...

yay ^_^

Oraanu wrote:Was the Golden Knife originally the cherished object of a Chelsea? Not sure why she would have / cherish a gaudy golden knife, but it certainly seems like the sort of thing she might leave behind, power-wise.

If it was in another world (one that isn't so Earth-like) I would offer the possibility that the knife was a ritualistic knife and Chelsea was a priestess or something.

Also, now that it is in offer, a mind-effect artifact is just the kind of thing a Chelsea could cherish enough to make it a twice-artifact

Does becoming artifacts "repairs" broken or partially broken cherised objects?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Dying in Treasury. Being from Treasury doesn't do anything.

I do not currently think Treasury contains/contained a Chelsea.

Things that are worn or broken in relatively minor ways will fix when they become artifacts. Severely broken objects do not become artifacts.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Oh, hey - if all the bones in somebody's feet dissolve, could they be replaced afterward, if the technology existed? XDDDDDDDDDDDD

So yeah, if you give a deck of Jokers access to Treasury and relatively easy resurrection, you're going to have at least like two of them per day popping into Treasury to die interestingly and be resurrected. Although first they'd ask all their loved ones to give them interesting, thoughtful, meaningful gifts for them to love.

"Severely broken objects do not become artifacts" - The most straightforward interpretation I'm coming up with for this statement is counterintuitive. Like, say somebody has an object they treasure that happens to be a broken piece of something, is it disqualified on grounds of brokenness? Or is it only in the case where someone loves a thing in its not-broken state, and then the thing breaks very lots, that it is no longer an artifact candidate?
Kappa

Postby Alicorn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:31 pm

You could put synthetic bones in! You could even do this in advance if you wanted. A Wolverine with the adamantium skeleton would pretty much suffer no ill effects from not technically having bone under the adamantium in his feet.

If someone loves, like, their chunk of the Berlin Wall, then that could be a thing; but if someone loves a toaster, and then the toaster is smashed, then that could not be a thing. And if someone loves a toaster that was smashed to begin with that will probably also not be a thing, but if they love a shard of toaster individually, it could.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:38 pm

...huh.

I am again considering this in terms of Jokers - I could totally see Jokers having intensely cherishy feelings about Very Broken Objects. I guess if you cherish a collection of objects (shards of a toaster, or whatever), they might be too - plural to become one artifact? But if you cherish the collection both collectively and individually - like you have a shelf full of small decorative boxes that all have individual stories, and you love your shelf full of little boxes and also all the little boxes that are on it; or if you have a bucketful of shards of your beloved toaster, and you give them all names and regularly take them out and play with them and polish them - then individual items in the collection could artifact by themselves?
Kappa

Postby Alicorn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:05 pm

If you love all your boxen, one of your boxen (toaster shards, whatever) might become an artifact.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Boxen ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Of course the minute I go to bed, my brain starts coming up with joker artifact ideas, so now I am in bed listing them

My favourite and best developed so far is a thing that gives you near-immortalizing levels of personal autohealing, maybe even usable on others at will, at the cost of increasing the depth of your pain processing so that the experience of a papercut is comparable to what having the entire surface of one hand shredded would have been like before, and all other pains are proportionally increased in subjective severity

In general, joker artifact drawbacks are likely to involve pain or intense emotions, and joker artifact powers are likely to be fun for a joker definition of fun, if I'm the one making them up. I like the aesthetics of having jokers emit artifacts that mostly only jokers would want to use.

I also considered poor emotional regulation as a side effect, but I'm not sure what the power would be, those are harder to come up with. Maybe the ability to understand all communication exactly as meant, like a Pantheon god. That's actually more useful to non-jokers than I intended, but I think I still like it.
Kappa

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!