Gemini Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Gemini Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:27 pm

Basics:

In the fifties, people who had - or who had ever had - and a handful of people who didn't have - twins (or triplets, or any number of real-estate-overlap siblings, as long as they didn't die in the womb) started waking up on their sixteenth birthdays with - powers. Superpowers. Some of these powers were the same for everybody, some of them were only the same for people who had actual live twins (or triplets or etc.).

The powers are thus:

Chimeric individuals and people who could be described as conjoined twins without separate heads get the minimum detectable powerset. On turning sixteen they attain peak nonpowered human physical health and precision of movement - enough to make it unfair for them to compete in the Olympics (and to clear out chimera-problem things like mismatched leg lengths, parasitic twin parts, and chronic or acute-at-the-moment-of-sixteenth-birthday negative health conditions), but not enough to allow leaping tall buildings in a single bound or feats otherwise outside human variation.

Conjoined twins with separate heads separate painlessly into healthy separate individuals at the moment they turn sixteen and get all the rest of the twin stuff. Twin stuff is the above peak physical shape thing, plus "twining" (someone was feeling punny; this is pronounced as the shared root "entwine") and sympathetic healing. Twining involves either twin speaking (aloud, but not necessarily loudly) and wishing to be heard by the other (or in the case of more than a pair, any subset if preferred); on the receiving twin's end nothing is audible to bystanders, but neighbors of the sending twin may hear the twined speech unimpeded. Sympathetic healing involves one twin touching the other, taking their injuries or illnesses onto themselves, and then rapid-healing them (which is uncomfortable to an unedited level of severity, but very fast, mere seconds even for severe life-threatening injuries). If you have no living twin (triplet etc.), you cannot use twining or sympathetic healing, but you still get your other basics.

Bonuses:

People who at any time had live twins (triplets etc.) also get bonus powers. A given set of siblings will typically have powers that work together well, though not necessarily powers of the same "quality" or standalone value. If there are exceptions to any of a power's limitations they are liable to apply solely to the user's twin (triplets etc). There are lots of sets of twins in the world, so there's no shortage of duplicates or near-duplicates, though sets of cooperating powers are much less likely to come up twice and the fine details of how each power work vary. The setting does not contain, unless we think of an idea we can't pass up: 1) meta-powers, 2) any mental powers that have effects outside of a sibling set, 3) powers that are particularly difficult to control or use safely.

Background:

The powers are superhero-comics-flavored more than magic-flavored, although this is mostly in how they get described and deployed than in how they actually work. There is no in-universe accepted scientific explanation for the powers, but they are consistent enough under sufficiently well-understood conditions that society has adapted around them. Powers tend to be specific enough, and their use has percolated into law enforcement and the military enough, that it is difficult to maintain much of a career as a supervillain (you will not have Superman's entire power suite between you even if you're quintulplets), although people try it and others correspondingly try taking up superheroism. As of a couple decades before the birth of Our Heroes, "Gemini schools" which high school age twins or ex-twins (triplets etc.) in the United States are required to attend have been standard. These schools register and keep an eye on developing twins and are mostly surprisingly nondystopic. There is some public wariness about twins, but ones who want to lead normal lives can pretty much just do that, encountering little serious barrier to participation in society which is not easily compensated for by the advantages of having one's basics.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Gemini Worldbuilding Info

Postby jalapeno_dude » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 pm

1. Do triplets get more powers than twins, just like twins get more powers than chimerae? Or is the increase due only to the fact that there are three distinct powers rather than two?
2. Is there a difference between identical and fraternal twins?
3. How has the birthrate/incidence of twins changed since the fifties? (I could see it going in either direction due to selective abortions/IVF, but would presume if there was an effect it'd be a big one.)
4. Follow-up to 3--have cults, etc. started breeding armies of twins?
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby kuuskytkolme » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 pm

5. What about twins that weren't conceived at the same time but developed in the same womb, for example test tube babies?
6. Has someone tested what happens when the "twins" are not related at all but are born at the same time from the same surrogate mother? That seems like a test that doesn't break any obvious ethical guide lines, because the risks are the same as in normal twin surrogacy.
I am number 63. I'm also ESL, please don't eat me.
kuuskytkolme

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:01 pm

1. Triplets work like twins except there are three of them, any pair of whom can twine, heal, and combine powers insofar as their powers combine. (A pair from a set of triplets will combine as well as a set of twins, and all three of them will also combine well.)

2. No, identical/fraternal makes no difference.

3. Fertility drugs that cause twinning are now very tightly controlled (though there's a black market) and there are oddball pockets of the population that prefer to abort one or both of a set when they find out, but it's not unusual for naturally occurring twins like Bella and Alli to just exist. I'm using real-world statistics for my ballpark figures.

4. The drugs in question are tightly and internationally controlled, because twins can so drastically upset power balance, and Gemini schools are much less responsive to pressure to alter curricula to suit weird parental ideology because they're specifically to make sure twins don't turn out too weird. Since different populations have different natural incidences of twinning there has already been some moving and shaking, but by the present day that has mostly shaken out - the first sets of powered twins are grandparents by the time of the story. The birthrate in general has gone up especially in poor families who see a possible set of multiples as an eventual ticket out of poverty.

5 & 6. "Manual" twinning doesn't count. They have to be biosiblings and conceived in one of the two standard twin ways.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby jalapeno_dude » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:14 pm

7. Pregnant women become chimerae, and stay that way (fetal cells even cross the blood-brain barrier). Do the effects you described apply in this case?
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:20 pm

No, that is not a standard conception mechanism, doesn't count even if the pregnancy is pre-sixteenth-birthday.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:33 am

Ooh, triplets. I may become overexcited about triplets. XD
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby MTC » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:00 am

I’m now wondering if a Tony & a clone Sherlock would count as twins enough to get powers in this world. Probably not, but it seems interesting enough to ask.
MTC

Pronouns: male

Postby Kappa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:44 am

I can't imagine that they would, no. And I gather that mass-produced clones might not work either. Although I'm sure somebody's tried it...
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Kappa wrote:I can't imagine that they would, no. And I gather that mass-produced clones might not work either. Although I'm sure somebody's tried it...

Tony totally would, you know it xD
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Next

Return to Spoilerland!