Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:13 am

If a fairy goes into a concordance and gets an angel or a demon to make them bat or bird wings, they will work just fine, no problem, but this is not customary.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Towards the start of this thread is a discussion of circle medium in which you say “absence of dust” would work, and we’ve already seen light work. I assume parlor trick color change would also work, if anybody could get it to be precise enough to make legible writing. What about media you couldn’t see, like various forms of invisible ink (UV, chemical-reveal, heat-revial, etc.)? What about absence-of-light, such as from a projector or computer screen? Could this be used for very quick summons, such as by making a small circle transparency and taping it over the end of a flashlight such that turning on the flashlight while it’s pointed down from a great enough height would summon a daeva?

Also, if a daeva is bound to the interior of an outdoor circle, how high up can they go? What happens if a circle disappears while a daeva’s bound within it? What happens if a circle is created with something already in it such that an appearing daeva would intersect a solid (or otherwise nondisplaceable) object?

Finally, the first comment of Filtration says that if Cam doesn’t grab summons, “the summoner gets a different demon, or maybe thinks better of the idea”. How much time would there usually be in which a summoner could change their minds, and what could they do about it if they did?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm inclined to be extremely liberal about what media daeva circles may be drawn in, including in terms of its visibility, but I'm wary of absence-of-light for some reason and will not categorically state its validity.

Daeva may go to a ceiling of about twice their own height. The circle's persistence doesn't matter (this is why the Cam in Resplendence was able to pretend to be bound to a circle that had been made only briefly of light).

If you invalidate a circle that doesn't have anybody in it yet (by breaking the circle or removing a key word or by dumping a bucket of medium on it, whatever) then it stops soliciting daeva. There is usually only a couple seconds' worth of window, although this goes up when there are more summoners active because more summons-interested daeva are going to be already summoned.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:52 pm

I thought that absence-of-light would be allowed, because if I have a computer screen embedded in my floor or a tilted flatscreen TV, I could use light to summon a daeva with a white circle on a black background. I’d be surprised if I couldn’t do the same thing with a black circle on a white background. Then again, I suppose the medium there is “contrasting pixels”, not “light”.

I’m assuming here that the refreshing of the picture wouldnt’t cause problems. Most of this seems to work intuitively enough that I’d be very surprised to hear that such a circle would actually send out dozens of extremely short-lived summons every second or anything like that, even if that’s technically what the image is doing.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Even if if did, daeva don't think any faster than humans and it'd probably just feel like a normal summon.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Lambda » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:08 pm

...except that, when they answered the summon, other daeva wouldn't stop feeling it. So you could potentially get a bunch of daeva in the same circle.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Alicorn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Only if the circle was really big. There does have to be room for the summon to stand in, and somebody else already standing there would interfere with that.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Ok, now I’m thinking of exploits. Grab a helpful demon to make a huge screen, and then use it to summon all relevant daeva that answer. Address them over loudspeaker, and accomplish any huge task in minutes! Or use it as an artificial concordance with a bit more control (no demon/angel fight, room to meet as well as send mail, etc.).

I assume somebody tried this or something similar since Revelation, and it failed to work for some reason.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:31 pm

I mean, summoning daeva doesn't take that long. The problem is paying them when you have lots. Mortals are historically uninterested in helping daeva solve their internal coordination problems.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 pm

And I suppose if you get a demon willing to help pay angels or fairies, they can do so anyway. Taking care of Gemini for example, would still have gone faster, but I guess not all that much so.

I notice we have some mortals interested in helping daeva in Incandescence now. They probably have better ways to do it, though. I also apparently edited the non-helpful uses (e.g., watching the holy war between angels and demons would probably amuse some people) out of my initial comment.

What if anything prevents people from summoning daeva and then leaving them bound and gagged in the basement without dismissing them? For example, when somebody blamed Cam for a death, could the have trapped him somewhere until they died, out of revenge? I wouldn’t put that kind of thing past Zane, if he found out that Adana’s killer had become a daeva.
DanielH

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!