Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:11 am

Yeah, there are regular cycles, although I don't think they're 24 hours and have no reason to settle on a length now. Fairyland has climates! They just don't happen for all the same reasons as planetary climates.

Cat Max would have to be a summoner first, but if we can come up with a way for him to summon Revelation I'm all for it.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:54 am

Alicorn wrote:Yeah, there are regular cycles, although I don't think they're 24 hours and have no reason to settle on a length now. Fairyland has climates! They just don't happen for all the same reasons as planetary climates.

So... it is a lot like Minecraft.

Now I wonder if it would be complicated to create a minecraft mod based on Daevinity....

Alicorn wrote:Cat Max would have to be a summoner first, but if we can come up with a way for him to summon Revelation I'm all for it.

That seems to complicate the potential for Cat moments, unless it is placed in present day or something.

Cat max could find a circle in that Brenda place and complete it absent mindly? can you complete a circle by smudging it with a foot?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:19 pm

You can if it's made of something smudgeable.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 pm

So a summoning circle is a circle with writing around (the outside of) it. What is generally written, if you summon in English? Would the circle Adana draws to summon Cam the second time say something like “I hereby summon the demon Cam to appear in this circle, bound to do no magic, stay within the circle, create notjing which it would be illegal for me to obtain or which others have claim to, harm anybody, [etcetera], except as part of an agreed-upon task with myself; and even in the course of such a task, not to harm anybody other than myself in any way and not to unduly inconvenience me except as part of payment collection”, or would it be more complicated? Can we have an example circle complete with bindings, instead of just the one Cam gives his ignorant parents for summoning a specific daeva unbound? For example, a fairy-summoning circle like the one Zane, Sherlock, and Tony use.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:26 pm

I don't have this fully specced out and it sounds kind of boring to do, honestly. It does get complicated fast when you incorporate bindings.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Makes sense; the complications with bindings are why I didn’t bother with most of them. I was hoping that if you didn’t have an example you’d at least be able to identify the form they’d take.

Am I at least correct in assuming that the concept of a task is a magical primitive? It doesn’t seem like it was designed by summoners; it gives the daeva too much power over the summoner during the payment collection phase (e.g., the only way for a summoner to dismiss an unpayed daeva is suicide).
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:18 pm

Yeah, the task is a primitive.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:59 am

Is there any reason for a Fairy not to go on flying winglessly?

What exactly is meant with "interesting fauna and flora" for Fairyland? Are there magical animals? or are they stuff like mixed animals or weird creatures like a cat that glows in the dark or something?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Alicorn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 am

Fairies can fly without wings, but naturally occurring ones have them to start out and don't want to remove them, and ex-humans acquire them to fit in most of the time. They help a little bit with small subconscious course correction.

We haven't specified much of Fairyland's content, but there are animals, some of which may have traits that might be magical.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 am

Alicorn wrote:Fairies can fly without wings, but naturally occurring ones have them to start out and don't want to remove them, and ex-humans acquire them to fit in most of the time. They help a little bit with small subconscious course correction.

Is there any specific problem if a Fairy manages to get bat-like or feathery wings?

Alicorn wrote:We haven't specified much of Fairyland's content, but there are animals, some of which may have traits that might be magical.

Urgh, I feel the compulsion to make a dozen of suggestions. I think the only *truly* necessary one is that most magic things simple stop working out of Fairyland (and might not work again even if you return), and that is mostly for worldbuilding consistency reasons.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!