Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:41 am

Alicorn wrote:I'm gonna say viable actual birth. So you might have an incentive to go for a C-section if at any point the odds of that going well exceed the odds of keeping the pregnancy till you go into labor.

I feel you could do something that relates to the concept of "no man of woman born" or whatever is the quote and this.

Anyway.

Are there naturally occuring daeva that are small? Or suffer cronic pain?

Could someone Limbo-thing be a dinosaur?

Do limbo-thing!animals lack dna like natural daeva?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Nemo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Was it ever stated that someone's thing can't be a person?

It seems unLimboly, but if a dog can count it clearly isn't using the demon standard definition of a mind.
Nemo

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Yes to small, no to chronic pain.

Yes.

Yes.

No people or people-implying things like the Internet. It's using the same threshold as what you can transport back to a daeva realm with you, which is a higher threshold than what demons can make.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Unbitwise » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 pm

So, demon restaurants, which we are told merely serve menus:

At one hypothetical extreme, Alice makes a burger and sticks a little flag in it that says 'Alice's Special Burger', and provides a menu that gives only the information that such an item once existed and therefore could be duplicated.

Oppositely, a menu item could consist of a exact description of a dish that has never existed before. (We know this doesn't obligate the demon to do detail work because Cam has made buildings without reading the plans.)

In between those two informational extreme cases there are descriptions which require some interpretation on the part of the maker (e.g. "a chicken sandwich" could have any one of several preparations of chicken and many varieties of bread).

What do demons actually do?

If not-fully-specified menus are a thing, is it possible to make a thing entire without choosing interpretations of the details, so that everybody gets something different according to their own biases, yet still a (potentially) novel combination?
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby DanielH » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Unbitwise wrote:What do demons actually do?

Anything in that range and beyond? In a different thread, Cam mentioned a restaurant where somebody does the actual creation for you, and you pay by giving an honest review of the food. Presumably there he doesn’t even have menus and asks each time what you want, or at least adjusts it based on previous reviews.
DanielH

Postby Unbitwise » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Unrelatedly, it occurs to me that there must be ex-human-physicist demons having lots of fun with really big experimental apparatus.
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby DanielH » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:29 pm

“We’d need a collider the size of Texas! I’ll build it tomorrow.”

Is “clone of” (for any definition that includes a demon making somebody pregnant, not just physical continuity of material) a conjurable parameter?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:34 pm

"Has this genome" is.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Throne3d » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:49 am

Do you have any idea of the numbers of daeva that spawn daily, or how much it fluctuates? (e.g. "a handful a day per daeva realm" or "somewhere in the region of a 50k a month"?) I think the quoted numbers were something like 9~11 billion daeva and 60k years that they've existed for (low confidence on me having remembered these numbers correctly), which – if they were all naturally occurring – would mean about half a thousand per day?

Are there biases on the spawning rates between the different daeva realms? (Like, are there three times as many naturally-occurring fairies as naturally-occurring angels, or is that just ex-summoners?)
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:09 am

I think it's six thousands years and the 9~11 billion is in the 22th century?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!