Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Postby Alicorn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:31 pm

You cannot be summoned by your old name if you actually deprecate it but you can have more than one name.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Would I be correct to guess that daeva can get drunk, but can sober up in a matter of seconds or drink gallons of pure ethanol without getting drunk?

There are a number of things that affect a child’s physical or psychological growth, either by their presence (like alcohol) or their absence (like adequate nutrition). How do these sffect daeva and limboite children? Would they just grow up in optimal physical and physiological health, with the accompanying differences in things like height and IQ?

At what point does a fetus or baby dying make them a limboite instead of not?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Are the stars in fairyland giant balls of hydrogen very far away or something else? Is the day-night cycle universal to every part of fairyland?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Correct.

Daeva and limboite children who don't eat are slightly-sub-optimal. If they eat, they can improve from there but not deteriorate. So, yes, except the effects of things that happen before they die persist.

Post-birth.

They're a sort of optical illusion. If you go up real high you can't see them any more. Fairyland does not have a sun; it just gets bright (with neat colors) everywhere at once, and the reverse for nightfall.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Do elephants, cetaceans, and other non-human considered-people animals go to Limbo, have the ability to summon, etc.? I’d be interested in how somebody felt about learning there was a speciesest afterlife?

Assuming you had amazing brainwashing and either volunteers or an absence of ethics, could you make a noticeable difference on Limbo’s quality of life if you convinced people that an afterlife would be incomplete without sandy beaches, various mines, oil fields, greenhouses, and the other places for obtaining infinite amounts of the raw ingredients for industrialization, electricity, and computers?
DanielH

Postby Moriwen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:42 pm

Is "post-birth" literally the dividing line, or "nine months after conception," or something else?

In particular, if a baby is born slightly premature and then promptly dies, does it go to Limbo? If so, this seems like it would create all sorts of bizarre incentives for women in a late-term pregnancy where the baby is not expected to survive long after birth. (Induce labor very early, with the expectation that this will definitely result in the baby dying, but it will at least go to Limbo instead of just being gone; or, alternatively, have an abortion, again guaranteeing its death but preventing it from growing up in Limbo without you and in depressing scarcity.)

If the dividing line is more like "nine months after conception, regardless of its current location," then you get the weird situation of slightly-premature babies having a couple of days in which they are intensely vulnerable, because their death will result in their actual obliteration and not in their transportation to Limbo. Could such a baby summon, if you set up the circle with just a tiny gap and, like, taped a marker to its hand, and waited for its random flailing to manage to complete the circle?

I'd expect that in any case Limbo would have historically had some pretty major influxes of babies, given child mortality rates, though at least the adults being immortal means there were probably enough to handle them. Presumably some of these babies don't get found promptly (and don't die, since it's Limbo), and end up growing up without literally any human contact; should make for some interesting sociological research.
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Nemo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:52 pm

In Godspring the age bottleneck was based on who can concentrate for the requisite minute to dismiss the daeva. So probably the patients at the summoning-based neonatal ICU can summon, but you better have a list of prearranged indefinite summons. Or else be OK with probably-still-technically-murder.
Nemo

Postby Moriwen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Yes, obviously it wouldn't be wise; I was just curious about the mechanics (i.e., if you could have someone too young to be limbo-eligible who was nevertheless summoning-capable).

Also it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to get arranged, for infants who are at extremely high risk. Find some of those daeva who really want kids, tell them that in exchange for the risk of getting stuck for a few years they can be, like, honorary godparent, with guaranteed regular visitation whether the kid lives or dies. I'd expect that to get a fair number of takers, especially since the target demographic would presumably also be really happy about saving babies.
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby DanielH » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:21 pm

I expect it could work as long as you aren’t simultaneously introducing new worlds and therefore increasing demand.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:37 pm

No; the personhood dividing line uses my prejudices, not theirs.

Yes.

I'm gonna say viable actual birth. So you might have an incentive to go for a C-section if at any point the odds of that going well exceed the odds of keeping the pregnancy till you go into labor.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!