Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Postby Shoal » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:40 am

Sorry, Daniel, I'm a bit Feanorian at times and easily distracted by opportunities to explore definitions. Thanks for speaking up with the reminder about seeing the forest for the trees.

I'm interpreting Alicorn's answer to mean that no, demons aren't categorically immune to wood magic. I wonder if they are wood mageable up to the point of minor injury, such as a papercut but no further, or something else.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:36 am

Are Fairyland’s stars infinitely far away? If not, what are they when you fly there? If so, do they look the same everywhere or do you get different stars if you move a few lightdays away?

How can all of inhabited Fairyland be just a few lighthours across if some people fly for fun; do I misremember that (from the Promise Frees All the Elementals sandbox)?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 am

Keep in mind that from the sun to the Earth is only about seven light-minutes.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:49 am

Flying is, presumably, fun. You get one hermit fairy who likes flying fast, and they’ll live well more than a lightday from anybody else by default. Maybe the map Cam conjured was about permanently-inhabited parts of fairyland, or about somewhat densely inhabited parts, or something.
DanielH

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:08 am

Reading the relevant part again, the map has labels, so was not conjured by demon infosec hazarding, but by some other parameter like “whatever Hell’s archivists list as the most complete map of all inhabited Fairyland” or something, which is perfectly conjurable and couldn’t possibly include random hermits living lightyears away from everything. Fortunately for that sandbox, the elementals are just moving in to a random pretty spot six light hours North of the main inhabited area, so would have a negligible chance of encountering a random hermit or long-distance flyer.
DanielH

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:21 am

Since there is no upstream editing on DW, I can't just sneak in an hours->days change, but perhaps I have done so in spirit.

Alternately, maybe it's considered really antisocial to fly at significant fractions of lightspeed near civilization because of the tendency to make the atmosphere violently explode.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:34 am

That makes a lot of sense.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 am

That’s fair. Everybody here’s read the part of Effulgence where you link to the relativistic baseball What If?, so I won’t find the link again.

Although I think you can quickly enough get far enough away that it won’t be an issue other than briefly making an extra star appear, that again puts you in the realm of a few nonsocial fairies flying over an area many millions of time greater than the surface area of the Earth.
DanielH

Postby Ezra » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Changing your name or its spelling - you can no longer be summoned by the old name? Does this let you grab circles only from people who have learned your new name?
Ezra

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:16 pm

There are ways to specify daeva other than name. Alicorn hasn’t said what any are, but, for example, Cam has had targetted summons but never been summoned ungagged. I imagine you can taeget anybody you’ve previously summoned at least.
DanielH

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!