Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Postby DanielH » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 am

That would make them resistant, not immune. I imagine they are; there has never been a sandbox where they aren’t resistant to physical harm.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Timepoof » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:14 am

Questions
Can daeva completely change their names for summoning purposes if they so desire?
- yeah

Could a daeva, if they wanted, become more muscly by working out or more fat by eating a lot of things? Would they have to do anything about their healing to do those?
- Yes and not healing per se but self-image.

Does the food untrained angels produce always taste normal (like the stuff normal humans have or demons can make)?
- They can match things they're familiar with but will make weird stuff naively

Suppose an ex-summoner angel is hypersensitive to food textures. They remember them very clearly and they like food but will not want to eat anything incorrectly textured. Can they change some cloud fluff into a correctly textured sandwich right off the bat, or would they have to practice a lot?
- They can get sandwiches from cloud fluff correctly.

How hard is making a fountain pen?
A felt tip pen? (guessing easy but just to check)
- Food is easy because it's just food all the way through.  Things with mechancial features you need to understand what's in them.
So if I've taken apart a fountain pen and then died and became an angel I'd be able to change something into one, same for a felt tip, right?
- Yeah.

Approximately how long would it take to change the shape of the tip or the color of the ink? Specifically, could you do it smoothly in the middle of writing/drawing?
- Yes, you could.

How fast would you be able to change a very very thin flat layer of, say, your wings to air/cloud fluff?
- It's mostly volume-limited so that's near-instant
- a good baseline is that an angel can ride a modestly-paced motor scooter through dense woods in a straight line by changing what's ahead to clear level road.

Is it possible to change the shape of something? Say I'm an angel and I have a pen and I want it to be one of the fancily bent kinds but basically the same size, I can do that, right?
- Yes.

Can angels just naively clean (turn dust into air) a thing with lots of surfaces or would one have to do it surface-by-surface?
- Surface by surface.

If a demon conjures something that was buried, can they get it to be made without any bits of dirt?
- yes.

Can angels turn little bits of air just above a paper into ink? If yes, how precise can that get?
-Yes and plenty to about visual acuity limits.
- Better to do the paper, probably.

Would angels be able to change a human's hair colour/give them a tattoo without any specific medical angel knowledge/training and without harm to the human? (I suspect yes and the question may have been asked before but I can't find it)
- Yes.

Would a binding to not hurt anyone prevent an angel doing a thing the angel doesn't know is going to hurt someone? If it does, can't most angels kind of figure out medical angeling on the fly by checking what they can or cannot do? Or how does it work?
- It depends on the binding how conservative the angel must be but it's enforcing that, not the literal consequences

Does heaven have gravity? If no, how do houses work there? If yes, how does cloud fluff support houses?
- Yes.  It's pretty dense.
- In the big caves a lot of buildings both are supported by the ground and hanging from the ceiling
- and have "root" type structures driven into the cloud.
- You can also turn the cloud into something else in a shell around your cave.

What is the fastest way to end up with a large flat piece of metal starting from being surrounded by air and standing on cloudfluff and maybe near some other solid substance? (Like do you change some fluff into a bit of metal and expand that via iteration or do you turn all the air into metal or do you turn cloud fluff into metal or the solid substance or?)
- Cloud fluff to metal is probably fastest unless the substance is very dense or close to the shape you want or both.

It's said that cloud fluff is the easiest to work with but if cloud fluff is dense and if you're working with something that is much less dense don't you run into the density-per-change limit (or whatever)?
- Cloud fluff is like, a little denser than water and angels usually have a lot of practice with it
- but it's not *always* easier

Angels can change dirty water into clean water and clean water into soapy water and such, right?
- yes

How good are they at changing only the parts of a thing that they mean to change? Could an angel, say, mix together salt and sugar and put it in a little heap and then turn only the salt to air?
- No.
- But they could make the whole heap be sugar.  Or pepper.

oooh idea
Could they cheat at cleaning a many-surfaces thing by changing it to cloud fluff and then back to itself?
- yes.
- If they know it well enough to make it.

What's the standard for knowing something complicated well enough to make it? It's obviously doable without a perfect memory but how much is enough?
- Basically, you can arrange matter however you want and getting *substances* right is easy.  Getting structures right, especially moving parts, is hard.
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:18 am

Shouldn't making food be super hard because cells are complex structures? Are new angels more likely to appear in caves or embedded in cloud fluff?
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:57 am

DanielH wrote:That would make them resistant, not immune. I imagine they are; there has never been a sandbox where they aren’t resistant to physical harm.

Thinking aloud here:

I thought resistance was kind of the inverse of that: if a watch is water resistant, you can get it a little bit wet and it's okay but too much wet is bad, or more modernly a phone might be resistant to dropping but they mean it will function if dropped off the table not out the window of a high rise.

demons aren't harm-resistant because they don't resist damage up to a point and then succumb to it.

That's why I see it as being an immunity that kicks in above a threshhold, but you are defining immune to mean categorically unharmable without a threshhold, which they are not. Your definition of immunity is probably better than mine because a person who is immune to something won't get sick at all.

It seems there are four situations:

unharmable to a point, then succumbs to injury and later death: resistant
unharmable at all: immune
harmable to a point, immune past a threshhold: adjective that describes what demons are
a continuous and unbroken line from unharmed through harmable to dead: adjective describing what humans are
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Shoal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:13 am

I was trying to think some more about what things can be harmed a little but are impervious to harm above a certain point because I thought a real world exmaple might help and what came to mind was how in cold forging, iron is hardened with plastic deformation in process called: Work hardening but what is happening with the steel is that it gets stronger everytime it is "harmed", everytime it is stretched and bent and allowed to go back to shape it comes out harder.

But hardened isn't what demons are either. Hardened would be a character like Lung or Crawler in Worm who temporarily (in Lung's case) or permanently (in Crawler's) respond to harm by becoming immune to it (crawler) or stronger/more powerful/etc (Lung).

Demons don't get stronger/ more impervious to harm by hurting them physically.
Shoal

Postby Kaylin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:18 am

I thought the adjective for daeva was "indestructible"? I'm not sure you're going to find a better one.
Kaylin

Pronouns: they/them (subject to change)

Postby Shoal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 am

Another almost:

viscous: like a non newtonian fluid, this creature is hardened against quick, sudden movements and cannot be stabbed or beaten, but they could be suffocated or squished intermitably if it were done very slowly and gently or could die by poison of course. They wouldn't acrtually be a fluid, they would just have a magical property that activates as a shield when attacked too quickly.

Kaylin wrote:I thought the adjective for daeva was "indestructible"? I'm not sure you're going to find a better one.
They are indestructible, but so are fairies in fairyland. Promise can be harmed to a significantly greater extent than Cam.

Fairies do respawn if crushed to a meatpaste so maybe indestrutible isn't quite right for them either but I feel respawning counts as not being destroyed because she is still herself afterward.
Shoal

Postby Kappa » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:19 pm

I think fairies in Harmonics are not "indestructible" in the daeva sense because they can be destroyed (crushed into paste, etc), it just doesn't stop them from respawning. I would not think describing something that can be pasted but respawns anyway as "indestructible" was an accurate use of the word.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Kaylin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Name!fairies I would classify as "immortal", to contrast with the "mortal" descriptor they use for non-fairies. They can be hurt, to the point of things that would kill mortals, they just don't die. Definitely not indestructible.
Kaylin

Pronouns: they/them (subject to change)

Postby DanielH » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:29 pm

We are arguind over definitions. There is a concept which Cam calls “indestructible”; does this apply to demons even against wood magic in the current sandbox? The answer seems to be that they don’t know but there are probably loopholes.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!