Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Daevinity Worldbuilding Info

Postby DanielH » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:45 pm

It isn’t possible to conjure for “people who have <done something>” for most values of “something”, right? No “people who have written RP fiction”, “virgins”, “summoners”, or “demons who have actually taken souls” (this last one hypothetically turning up demons who have kidnapped daemons, stolen magical girls’ gems or Nuime soul artifacts, and maybe Demon!Edie for taking Maitimo’s chip to Hell)?

----

I have taken several semesters of French and one of Spanish. In that time, Minor would have become fluent in French and would have learned far more Spanish than I did, and would have forgotten less in the time since the classes. If I summoned a version of him who somehow did not know these languages, would he be any better than I am at them? I think he would not, unless he were able to reason out more linguistic details than I can from what he did get.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:39 am

Right.

Right.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Why isn’t soul-stealing a circling offensive when assisting suicide is? Did Lilie know it was impossible?

Can you bind against breathing? Against holding your breath? Or are edge cases between action and inaction determined by the individual daeva’s intuitive categorization?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:30 pm

The conventional understanding is that you can only take a soul you are offered one way or another, and it's incumbent on summoners not to be stupid about that. Lilie knows that she doesn't know how to do it but can't confidently guarantee that it's not a specialized skill, or something only naturally occurring daeva know how to do, or something.

No. No. ???
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:06 pm

You can generally bind daeva to not do things, but cannot bind daeva to do things. I thought that was general enough that it could be used to prevent any given action, and I was curious about what counted as an action. Potential answers I expected were it being what you-the-author thought of as action vs inaction, a case-by-case thing, or what the daeva thought of as action vs inaction (similar to Teah’s definition of “relevant”).

Apparently I was wrong and there are some actions you can’t prevent with binding?
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:06 pm

You can't prevent facial expressions, posture changes, breathing or not-breathing, tail wagging, yawning, etc.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Unbitwise » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:32 pm

…chromatophores?
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Alicorn » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Symbolic communication in general can be blocked pretty well. Purely affective chromataphoring would be unblockable.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:34 pm

I would like you to know that I almost googled “GCP citizen’s arrest procedure” as though that were a thing which Google might know.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:32 pm

This fact caused me to make an embarrassing noise.
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!