Speculation on the future

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Speculation on the future

Postby Lambda » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:10 am

I assumed it was a combination of: there started with only one mint (who got minting as an ingot power), and most mints really don't like making sixes (which are required to make more mints). Also, anyone who does make big coins is likely to die of trying to use a seven.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Marri » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:33 am

I also assume it started as only one; given how ingots work I'm sure the first mint didn't mind making hexes too much xD but I suspect the following contribute:
1) Some mints do not ever attempt to make a coin large enough to mint someone
2) Some mints attempt to make large coins but are incapable of focusing through the pain to actually make the coin
3) Some mints die trying to make large coins
4) Some mints die trying to use large coins
5) Some mints use all their large coins on themselves rather than on creating mints
6) Some mints create coin stashes rather than new mints
Marri

Postby Nemo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:41 pm

For that matter, why don't they die from trying to use smaller coins? Juliet established that if someone wishes you harm with a square, you're dead. So it seems like they really should declaw pentagons, let alone hexes.
Nemo

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Harmful-extra-coin-magic is very, very, very stupid. A raw hex can fuck you up if it gets lucky (I believe it's implied that Stella getting hit by that van was causally related to the hex she used to mint herself), but the vast majority of below-star-level magical overflows are too small or indirect for their effects to even be noticed.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Shoal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:50 pm

I wonder if it misses entirely or if it always has some effect, but with a triangle perhaps, it ends up being something like "5 extra drops of rain fall on you during the next thunderstorm"
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Kappa » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Triangles don't have any extra magic to throw around in the first place.

Squares (with a triangle's worth of extra) probably don't ever get as significant as five drops of rain.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Shoal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Squares, then.

The next injury you get is a micron deeper than it would have been? A single cell in your body dies a few moments earlier than it might have (and this ends up being of no consequence). I'm trying to think of a homeopathic level of dilution of harm.

I had always thought that Stella wished on a coin of some size to get in an accident at some future date.

http://self-composed.dreamwidth.org/209 ... e#comments

"I find it so weird that you can wish you'd get hurt, or risk getting hurt, but not just plain hurt yourself," says Alice.

"I don't think it's that uncommon. People do dangerous things and don't self-injure in large numbers. Kids who resent their parents say things like 'but if I cross the street to return the neighbor's loaf pan and get hit by a car then Mom will be sorry and I'll never have to do chores again'. And you know what? If I get hit by a car, and it creams me good and proper, that will predictably lead to a state of affairs in which I'll never have to do chores again." She hefts her invisible necklace, twirling the coins around on the chain. "So to speak."

http://self-composed.dreamwidth.org/242 ... style=site

As she's been discharged from the car and Charlie pulls away, a van driven by a panicking teenager screams out of nowhere towards Bella.

Making wishes is easy.

It is not automatic. It is not instantaneous.

The van creams Bella, good and proper.

The first quote reads like Bella is considering wishing for future harm to come to her, and the second reads like she went through with it and now it is happening
Shoal

Postby Bluelantern » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:28 pm

I assumed that Elias and the mints was a plot that was discarded in favor of the crossovers
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Stella did not make a wish to have harm to her.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Bluelantern wrote:I assumed that Elias and the mints was a plot that was discarded in favor of the crossovers

it would still be interesting to resurrect him

@Alicorn, thanks
Shoal

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!