Bindings Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Bindings Worldbuilding Info

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:22 am

I am not sure if I understood the spell flowchart thing.

The requirement is something similar to memorizing it enough that you could recite any specific part of it, or do you need think about the whole thing in the same time for it to work?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:49 am

You need its entire structure in working memory.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby tau » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:20 pm

I am almost certainly missing a thing, but I don't quite understand the difference between an instantaneous effect spell and a hex. What does a hex do that oneshot spells can't? It seems like "permanently magicify" means "have a permanent effect" but turning something blue is a permanent effect. What am I missing?
tau

Pronouns: He

Postby Kappa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:33 pm

I think "permanently magicify" means "impart a permanent magical property or function of some kind". Being blue is not a magical property, it's a mundane property. Being, say, invisible would be a magical property. I think that's how it works, anyway.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:38 pm

tau wrote:I am almost certainly missing a thing, but I don't quite understand the difference between an instantaneous effect spell and a hex. What does a hex do that oneshot spells can't? It seems like "permanently magicify" means "have a permanent effect" but turning something blue is a permanent effect. What am I missing?

I got the impression that Hexes can be actively magical, while the "permanently blue" isn't actively magical, only a non-magical something that was changed through magic.

Or in other words, when a spell ends the left over results are "mundane" and not-magical, even if they are created by magic. In theory, Hexes don't end, and can have traits that are magical and impossible to be achieve through mundane means.

Can you create a spell that becomes stronger-or-weaker depending on a variable charging time?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby tau » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Ok. I think that makes sense. Just trying to figure out where the demarcation line is because clearly there is one but I'm having trouble figuring out what it is, or if it's a "this magic is too big and can no longer be a single spell" sort of thing.
tau

Pronouns: He

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Lets use the expert opinion. We get a cube that was changed into blue and a cube that is invisible and ask Lazarus to explain:

"See," Lazarus says poiting and making several hand gestrues "in this blue cube I can sense trace amounts of magic... I think someone changed their color, it is not actively magical right now."

The he goes and points to another part of the table that seems empty

"Now, this cube is invisible, and therefore you can't see it, but I can see that is actively magical right," he waves his hands in a expansive gestrue "Despite being invisible it would be easier to sense it from further away because it has more magic than the other cube"
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Lambda » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Another example: to someone without Detect Magic, a spelled-blue cube is pretty much indistinguishable from a cube that had always been blue naturally, or that was painted or dyed blue, or something. A hexed cube might do something like automatically reverting to being blue whenever you tried to paint it a different color.

Alternatively: a spell could levitate something for as long as the spell's duration lasted; a hex could impart levitation permanently.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:36 pm

The fountain that heals familiars is an example of a hex. The fountain is a permanently magical object; if you dunk a familiar in it, the familiar will be healed. "Magic healing fountain" kind of requires the word "magic" to describe how it is doing "healing". "Magic blue cube" seems to suggest that there is something magic about the cube which is not its mere blueness.

The idea of a spell with variable effect power with variable charging time is interesting and I am potentially open to it but I don't think any are currently in circulation.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Alicorn wrote:The idea of a spell with variable effect power with variable charging time is interesting and I am potentially open to it but I don't think any are currently in circulation.

The concept sounds like a no-brainer, but I could understand if the implementation is hard enough that no one bothered.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!